English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 10 March 2010, 21:23   #1
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Post Need Samples from Turrican 2

Hi, I'm in need of some samples from Turrican 2. I've attached a savestate file to a boss. I need the 5 sounds from that boss... which is 'boss getting hit', 'boss shooting laser', 'boss jumping', 'boss exploding' and ' rocks breaking on impact with the ground'. I need those 5 sounds.

The sample ripper in WinUAE doesn't save those sounds, only instruments from the tune + in very low quality. Can someone get me these sound effects (not throught the sample ripper please, everything I've gotten though there sounds like 30% of the original sound quality for some reason).

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: uss Turrican.uss (464.4 KB, 395 views)

Last edited by hipoonios; 10 March 2010 at 21:30.
Old 11 March 2010, 03:59   #2
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
The sample ripper in WinUAE doesn't save those sounds, only instruments from the tune
Not really, it's just that you gotta listen to the whole set of ripped wavs to find the correct ones, which may take you a while, specially in this particular case where most of the samples sound pretty much alike. Check the attached zip for a couple of non-music samples I ripped with WinUAE.

Quote:
+ in very low quality. Can someone get me these sound effects (not throught the sample ripper please, everything I've gotten though there sounds like 30% of the original sound quality for some reason)
Low quality = original quality. I don't believe WinUAE is doing anything destructive to the samples. They'll definitely sound different when resampled by your PC software/hardware and without an Amiga's lowpass filter.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wavs.zip (2.7 KB, 551 views)
Old 11 March 2010, 11:19   #3
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Not really, it's just that you gotta listen to the whole set of ripped wavs to find the correct ones, which may take you a while, specially in this particular case where most of the samples sound pretty much alike. Check the attached zip for a couple of non-music samples I ripped with WinUAE.

Of course I listen to them all, always do and still couldn't find the ones I needed. The two samples you posted I also had among the ones I ripped. What I got was like (depending on how long you play when the ripper is active) was like 70 empty wavs, 4 sound effects which I can't place where they are from, and 5 instruments. So even if the ones I need would be saved, I can't use them when they sound this awful.

Low quality = original quality. I don't believe WinUAE is doing anything destructive to the samples. They'll definitely sound different when resampled by your PC software/hardware and without an Amiga's lowpass filter.

Well, no matter what game I rip samples from in WinUAE using the sample ripper, they always sound like they have uber low quality compared to the ones I actually hear when playing. I once ripped some sounds from Moonstone (testing purposes only, cus if I needed them I could just record to wav or avi and extract as there is not background music when they fight)... in the game when the knights got hit and when the swords made the sharp 'ding' sound when hitting something, they came out sounding like the quality was lowered by 50% + played from a speaker placed under a think pillow.... same goes with the ones I get from Turrican now, and the 2 you ripped.

Meh....

Is there a way to turn of the music in Turrican 2? Then it would be no problem to rip the sounds I need. I know turrican 1 had an option where it could be toggled, but couldn't find one for Turrican 2.
Old 12 March 2010, 06:20   #4
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Of course I listen to them all, always do and still couldn't find the ones I needed. The two samples you posted I also had among the ones I ripped
Which basically confirms that WinUAE does indeed rip more than just samples from the background music.

Quote:
What I got was like (depending on how long you play when the ripper is active) was like 70 empty wavs, 4 sound effects which I can't place where they are from, and 5 instruments
So it's ultimately a matter of letting the ripper run for a longer period of time. And would you mind sharing one of these empty wavs? all of the samples I ripped during the boss fight worked fine, even though most of them just last a fraction of a second.

Quote:
So even if the ones I need would be saved, I can't use them when they sound this awful.

Well, no matter what game I rip samples from in WinUAE using the sample ripper, they always sound like they have uber low quality compared to the ones I actually hear when playing
Let's put it this way. If you play these LOSSLESSLY ripped samples using anything but your real Amiga or WinUAE under whatever audio settings you believe work best, they will NOT sound anywhere near good. Reason? proper filtering and resampling are not currently enabled or available for the Windows media player you're using.

Quote:
I once ripped some sounds from Moonstone (testing purposes only, cus if I needed them I could just record to wav or avi and extract as there is not background music when they fight)... in the game when the knights got hit and when the swords made the sharp 'ding' sound when hitting something, they came out sounding like the quality was lowered by 50% + played from a speaker placed under a think pillow.... same goes with the ones I get from Turrican now, and the 2 you ripped
Lowered by 50% doesn't really mean anything to me Amiga sampling back in the day wasn't particularly brilliant. The equipment required to do it properly was extremely expensive and plenty of game developers just plugged in a piece of crap mic and that was it.

Try these samples on your real Amiga or WinUAE and let me know how it went
Old 12 March 2010, 06:46   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Turrican II internally mixes samples. (6+ channel music routine)
Old 12 March 2010, 11:16   #6
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Yay! I pressed "S" in Turrican 2 and the music turned off, but not the sound.... I'm so lucky I tried it again .... Now I can rip the sounds in perfect quality.

Which basically confirms that WinUAE does indeed rip more than just samples from the background music.

Yup, I know.... but played for 5 mins, TONS of wavs, still none of them were the ones I needed.... why is this?.... maybe to get all the 5 sounds I needed I would have to play over an hour, or maybe all of them would never be ripped?

So it's ultimately a matter of letting the ripper run for a longer period of time. And would you mind sharing one of these empty wavs? all of the samples I ripped during the boss fight worked fine, even though most of them just last a fraction of a second.

To ME these are empty..... it's just a 10th of a millisecond click sound... 70-ish bytes files... practically nothing in them link

Let's put it this way. If you play these LOSSLESSLY ripped samples using anything but your real Amiga or WinUAE under whatever audio settings you believe work best, they will NOT sound anywhere near good. Reason? proper filtering and resampling are not currently enabled or available for the Windows media player you're using.

Well, it doesn't matter, they are still useless to me in the quality/whatever they are ripped in. Toni, is it possible to make the ripped samples sound like they do when playing?

Lowered by 50% doesn't really mean anything to me Amiga sampling back in the day wasn't particularly brilliant. The equipment required to do it properly was extremely expensive and plenty of game developers just plugged in a piece of crap mic and that was it.

What is means is this was just an example of how I experience/hear the samples ripped, compared to the ones I hear when playing.

Anyway, I just found out that the "S" key turns off the music, so now I will have prefectly sounded quality rips. No one could have told me about this sooner? ... as I know many people love turrican (I'm not a fan, I just need the samples :P). My first choice was the "M" key as it is in most games, that turns off the music and not the sound..... but weird this game has the music ONLY turned off with "S"... to me it would be either just the sounds, or both....

oh well.... now I'm happy
Attached Files
File Type: zip wavs.zip (7.9 KB, 799 views)
Old 12 March 2010, 11:28   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sample ripper simply saves the sample data that is fed to Paula. Note that it saves the data only, it does not include volume or pitch changes. Wave has same pitch that was used when sample was started, it may not be static in game. (it is called "sample ripper" for a reason..)

(and you never get original samples from Turrican II using sample ripper because of game's software mixing routines)

Use wave recording if you want "what you hear" audio rip.
Old 12 March 2010, 12:21   #8
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Use wave recording if you want "what you hear" audio rip.
That's what I usually do when I rip sound from games. But couldn't this time because this game had no "turn music off" function... cuz I don't want parts of the music mixed with the sound files..... but now when I found out that the "S" key turns off the music... I now have my samples... which I said in my earlier post.
Old 07 April 2010, 17:22   #9
Evore
SuperDude

Some cracker-hacker group (can't remember the name) ripped the Turrican II songs off the game. I think I have them stored somewhere, if interested let me know. I can Zone them, if I find them.
Old 07 April 2010, 18:03   #10
Bronko
Remember: Shoot or die!

Send a message via ICQ to Bronko
Download and install Pekaro's T2002. http://www.pekaro.de
Open the SFX directory. Those *.pss files are wavs. Good luck, the sounds could be inside, as the games uses original TurricanII sounds.

May I ask, what you need them for?