English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 July 2021, 22:07   #1
oggie

a4000 with mediator and spider usb - mice and drives not detected

So I have an a4000D with a mediator card installed. In the mediator I have installed a sound card, and ethernet card and a radeon 9200 card. I decided to then install a spider usb card.

However, it's not from elbox, but one I got for free that I flashed the eeprom with a modified vendor ID so it would appear to be from elbox.

I've installed poseidon 4.5 and spider.device 3.21 (I couldn't find 3.22). Trident sees the controllers and the devices. All are green and appear to be online.

I've also installed w95 and it's located in L:

When I plug in a usb mouse or a flash drive, I get nothing. No messages in trident, and no lights on the flash drive or the mouse.

I have 2 of these usb cards, both of which behave the same way.
Old 10 July 2021, 23:41   #2
slaapliedje

Best guess? The firmware wasn't flashed right? Sounds like everything else should work. I think spider.device 3.22 is basically only available on the CD that comes with the card, and Elbox I think in the past has been rather pissy about people distributing it.
Old 10 July 2021, 23:50   #3
oggie

I would assume it flashed correctly since I'm able to add it in trident using spider.device

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 23:54   #4
TheMrKocour

Try older Poseidon, i think 4.4
Old 10 July 2021, 23:55   #5
oggie

Is there a problem with Poseidon 4.5?

Old 13 July 2021, 18:52   #6
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggie View Post
I would assume it flashed correctly since I'm able to add it in trident using spider.device

Think again. I have one of those NEC usb cards that Elbox change into a spider II with an original Mediator 1200 from 2000. Prometheus also sees this card without a flash on it and like you when plugging things in doesn’t see anything.
I own 2 spider-II cards and they came with CDs with version 3.22. The only way to get the driver is by buying a Spider-2 or owning a preowned one and getting it registered with Elbox who will send you the driver by E-Mail.

Have read online about flashing the EPROM on these but good luck ??
Old 13 July 2021, 18:58   #7
oggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
Think again. I have one of those NEC usb cards that Elbox change into a spider II with an original Mediator 1200 from 2000. Prometheus also sees this card without a flash on it and like you when plugging things in doesn’t see anything.

I own 2 spider-II cards and they came with CDs with version 3.22. The only way to get the driver is by buying a Spider-2 or owning a preowned one and getting it registered with Elbox who will send you the driver by E-Mail.

I flashed it following this guide. https://grimore.org/hardware/amiga/h...the_spider_usb

Old 13 July 2021, 22:07   #8
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
I flashed it following this guide. https://grimore.org/hardware/amiga/h...the_spider_usb

Yep that’s t(e one I’ve seen too.

When you ran these commands from shell did they go through okay?

AddUSBHardware DEVS:USBHardware/spider.device 2
AddUSBHardware DEVS:USBHardware/spider.device 0
AddUSBHardware DEVS:USBHardware/spider.device 1

I know when I’ve tried with a real Spider card I’ve had errors try8 g each of these commands.
Old 13 July 2021, 22:11   #9
oggie

Quote:
Yep that’s t(e one I’ve seen too.

When you ran these commands from shell did they go through okay?

AddUSBHardware DEVS:USBHardware/spider.device 2

AddUSBHardware DEVS:USBHardware/spider.device 0

AddUSBHardware DEVS:USBHardware/spider.device 1

I know when I’ve tried with a real Spider card I’ve had errors try8 g each of these commands.
Yes. They all were successful.

Old 17 July 2021, 00:52   #10
grelbfarlk

Quote:
The only way to get the driver is by buying a Spider-2 or owning a preowned one and getting it registered with Elbox who will send you the driver by E-Mail.

This is not true at all.

You probably just didn't choose the right NEC card. I tried a few different models of generic NEC USB cards until I found a couple that worked correctly. The ones that did not work correctly acted the same as yours, the card would be detected but no devices would ever show up. Or low speed devices worked like mouse or keyboard but HiSpeed would never work.
The BGA versions of the NEC chip never did work for me.
Old 17 July 2021, 00:58   #11
oggie

Mine look like these. I've tried both, and they behave the same.

Old 17 July 2021, 01:03   #12
oggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
This is not true at all.

You probably just didn't choose the right NEC card. I tried a few different models of generic NEC USB cards until I found a couple that worked correctly. The ones that did not work correctly acted the same as yours, the card would be detected but no devices would ever show up. Or low speed devices worked like mouse or keyboard but HiSpeed would never work.
The BGA versions of the NEC chip never did work for me.
Can you tell me what you wrote to the eeprom? Or send me the bin file that worked for you?

Old 17 July 2021, 02:52   #13
grelbfarlk

This was years ago so unlikely I have the .bin, but I followed Mechy's original guide. If you dump the contents of your EEPROM and it looks the same then you should be good. Otherwise it's just a matter of the wrong make of card.
The other thing is the Spider is kind of picky what slot it works in, I usually have to put it in the bottom slot of the Mediator in the Desktops or the Towers. So maybe try the bottom slot or reorder your PCI cards.
Old 17 July 2021, 03:13   #14
oggie

Quote:
This was years ago so unlikely I have the .bin, but I followed Mechy's original guide. If you dump the contents of your EEPROM and it looks the same then you should be good. Otherwise it's just a matter of the wrong make of card.
The other thing is the Spider is kind of picky what slot it works in, I usually have to put it in the bottom slot of the Mediator in the Desktops or the Towers. So maybe try the bottom slot or reorder your PCI cards.
Is the link I provided above the guide you're referring to? I have it in the upper PCI slot of my 4000d, so I'll try to reorder them.

Old 17 July 2021, 03:21   #15
grelbfarlk

I followed Mechy's guide from his post over at Amiga.org. All of the picture attachments appear to be dead so I can't say whether it's exactly the same but I assume it is.
Old 17 July 2021, 15:19   #16
oggie

Quote:
So I tried all 3 usb cards in the bottom slot (the slot closest to the a4000d motherboard) and it still didn't work. I actually started seeing more system lockups when I attached the usb mouse.

Old 28 July 2021, 23:49   #17
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
So I tried all 3 usb cards in the bottom slot (the slot closest to the a4000d motherboard) and it still didn't work. I actually started seeing more system lockups when I attached the usb mouse.

Which Mediator version are you using on your A4000? I’ve got a mediator in my 4000 but it’s the 4000 Di mk3. For USB I use a x-surf 100 with a rapid road USB adapter piggybacking off the card to save on slots.

On my A1200 mediators (1200 TX black and 1200 original 2000) I’ve used Spider-II USB cards. On the TX I’ve got mine on pci slot 4 (out of 6).

Don’t forget the mediator relies on the Graphics card for most of its operation.

Also check Pciinfo to see what interrupts each card is being assigned, it sounds to me you are getting a shared interrupted on the USB with something else. You should see 3 interrupts for the USB ports.
Old 29 July 2021, 03:41   #18
slaapliedje

I gave up on my spider long ago (as I wanted to use OS4) and bought a Rapid Road + X-surf. Best thing I ever did for the Amiga. If I didn't already have a zz9000 for my other Amiga, I would consider one for it too.