English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 April 2021, 22:04   #1
Pyromania

Take a Journey to Hell with us and Get Paid!

Programmers listen up, we are offering a deal of a lifetime hopefully. The Amiga & Vampire never got a port of the arcade classic game Satan's Hollow and that's a bummer. To rub salt into the wound the C64 did get a port, how fair and just is that? Lets change this injustice together. S.H. is a relatively simple shooter like Galaga and should not be hard to code. We want to branch out into the game business and this is a simple way in we hope. We need your help and we will pay you. Simply port a Satan's Hollow inspired game to the Amiga and we will give it away for free. That's not all though we hope to make this game skin-able, something the arcade original never had. Which means we will sell add on skins (backgrounds/enemy/ships/sound collections for you guessed it $6.66 each per bundle. Don't worry about creating the add on skins, well take care of that part. If you join us and it's a great fit feel free to have first dibs on all our future game coding projects. Simple and sweet right? Contact us soon please.

Best regards

DiscreetFX

Mandatory Satan's Hollow links below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan%27s_Hollow

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

History

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Pyromania; 17 April 2021 at 23:38.
Old 16 April 2021, 23:02   #2
Pyromania

It's a shame this game was never given a modern day makeover. We hope to change that. I always thought the graphics were due for an amazing Amiga do over. The C64 port looks a bit sheeeeeet.

Last edited by Pyromania; 16 April 2021 at 23:40.
Old 17 April 2021, 06:00   #3
Pyromania

Let's be honest about this arcade game. In 2021 the graphics look a bit... ummm crap. So I'm not aiming to reproduce this on the Amiga. I'm aiming for something with similar playability that looks way way better.
Old 17 April 2021, 06:15   #4
Valken

I am probably one of the last generation that GREW up in the arcades like many others here, you know, the last of the Stranger Things crew, and the sound and nostalgia brings tears to my eyes!

Please do it.

My OPTIONAL (discard if you think it sucks) suggestions:

One set of OLD SCHOOL ARCADE BITMAPS
One set of NEW SCHOOL RETRO style BITMAPS
One set of OLD SCHOOL ARCADE SOUNDS
One set of NEW SCHOOL RETRO style SOUNDS
Allow swapping between old and new in real time if possible!
or a tick box on boot to mixed old and new retro sound and graphics.

Please test the polling rate on controls for input lag.

Remember when we played on the actual arcade machines all of that slack on the controls from being beaten up by X many players. The one thing we need are good and very tight controls. I would prioritize this higher than new graphics or sounds.

Tight, precise and accurate controls FTW.

Lastly, for a new retro version, Amiga or better grade (Neogeo, X68000 or CPS) multi-layers of parallax as we are moving around? Maybe semi vertical rotation with parallax?

Imagine rotating a soda can on the vertical axis (Y) while facing you (moving left and right), and seeing all the parallax and depth of the background artwork.

That C64 looks naff to be honest!
Old 17 April 2021, 06:26   #5
Pyromania

The C64 version does looks naff, I agree. Piece of game trivia, do you know who the publisher of the Commodore 64 version was? It was in fact Commodore Business Machines, LOL. Also, the unreleased Atari version has graphics that look even worse. The arcade version while looking crap has great addicting playability.
Old 17 April 2021, 06:58   #6
Pyromania

@Valken

Thank you for the great suggestions. What about everyone else or people that enjoyed playing the arcade/C64 version. What features would you like to see in an updated Amiga or Vampire version of Satan's Hollow? If you think this game is a bit crap feel free to say that as well. You won't hurt my feelings, I didn't develop it. Come to think of it I do remember playing this on my C64 now.
Old 21 April 2021, 11:49   #7
DamienD
Banned

@Pyromania; why are virtually all your recent posts about releasing games for "Vampire"? Yes we get you're a massive fanboy and all that.

There are way more normal Amiga / emulator users than there are Vampire ones...

Developers should just create games for the Amiga.

...and as we keep seeing, there are issues with the Vampire and compatibility: <click>
Old 21 April 2021, 12:54   #8
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
@Pyromania; why are virtually all your recent posts about releasing games for "Vampire"?
Why not? Vampire has started having some awesome exclusive games, classic Amigas get tons of games nowadays either way, so everybody is a winner.
Old 21 April 2021, 12:58   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Why not? Vampire has started having some awesome exclusive games, classic Amigas get tons of games nowadays either way, so everybody is a winner.
I think you'll be very hard pressed to find any game devs creating games only for "Vampires".

Really doesn't make sense; relative small market, games would need to be massive so take moons to create, blah, blah, blah etc...
Old 21 April 2021, 13:07   #10
manossg

Quote:
I think you'll be very hard pressed to find any game devs creating games only for "Vampires".

Really doesn't make sense; relative small market, games would need to be massive so take moons to create, blah, blah, blah etc...
In the previous moon only, 2 awesome Vamp-specific games were released, Jake and Peppy (although as an alpha version) and Sonic Vamped.

But, let us suppose you are right in everything you claim. What exactly is the problem?
Old 21 April 2021, 13:23   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
In the previous moon only, 2 awesome Vamp-specific games were released, Jake and Peppy (although as an alpha version) and Sonic Vamped.
Ah ok, so last year maybe 30+ games were created yet only 2 Vampire specific... you get my point.

Quote:
But, let us suppose you are right in everything you claim. What exactly is the problem?
It's not about being right... just don't see the point with Pyromania constantly mentioning Vampire / saying let's create games for it in virtually all his recent posts.

Fanboy to the extreme
Old 21 April 2021, 13:33   #12
meynaf
son of 68k

If the "get paid" really means it and this is not for vampire exclusive, then i might be interested.
Old 21 April 2021, 13:39   #13
manossg

Quote:
Ah ok, so last year maybe 30+ games were created yet only 2 Vampire specific... you get my point.
So what, even if only one were released, or none? Why shouldn't more new games come out for it? I think it is definitely worth seeing devs taking advantage of the Vamp's capabilities.

Quote:
It's not about being right... just don't see the point with Pyromania constantly mentioning Vampire / saying let's create games for it in virtually all his recent posts.
I think he does so in a positive and constructive spirit. Heck, he even generously gave a V4 as a present! In my eyes this is a positive contribution to the community. What is wrong with that?

Myself, I don't see the point in the negativity towards the Vampire. Yes, it is not for everyone, but it is not out there to reduce your Amiga enjoyment. You can simply ignore it and move on or be constructive about it.

Quote:
Fanboy to the extreme
Antivamp sentiment (especially uncalled-for) is a kind of fanboyism too, methinks.
Old 21 April 2021, 13:45   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
So what, even if only one were released, or none? Why shouldn't more new games come out for it? I think it is definitely worth seeing devs taking advantage of the Vamp's capabilities.
It's like you can't read properly...

Where have I said that no games should be created for Vampire???

What I said is "you'll be very hard pressed to find any game devs creating games only for Vampires."

...and you can see a game devs response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
If the "get paid" really means it and this is not for vampire exclusive, then i might be interested.
Quote:
I think he does so in a positive and constructive spirit. Heck, he even generously gave a V4 as a present! In my eyes this is a positive contribution to the community. What is wrong with that?
Where have I said that he isn't generous???

Quote:
Myself, I don't see the point in the negativity towards the Vampire. Yes, it is not for everyone, but it is not out there to reduce your Amiga enjoyment. You can simply ignore it and move on or be constructive about it.

Antivamp sentiment (especially uncalled-for) is a kind of fanboyism too, methinks.
I just don't see the point of someone constantly advertising Vampire's in virtually every single post. Boring and spamtastic IMHO

Do you see me constantly banging on about how good WinUAE is?

Anyway, let's leave it there shall we.
Old 21 April 2021, 14:03   #15
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I think it is definitely worth seeing devs taking advantage of the Vamp's capabilities.
Why would we want to do that ? If we want to code on a fast machine, there are faster ones. If we want to code on a limited one, current miggies are perfectly fit. If we want to code because of the programming model, vamps aren't in any way better than other 68k.
Old 21 April 2021, 14:07   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Why would we want to do that ? If we want to code on a fast machine, there are faster ones. If we want to code on a limited one, current miggies are perfectly fit. If we want to code because of the programming model, vamps aren't in any way better than other 68k.
Ahem to that

...and the point I was making.
Old 21 April 2021, 14:29   #17
meynaf
son of 68k

The situation would be different, at least for me, if the instruction set had been enhanced to make coding easier and more enjoyable, like 68020+ is better than 68000 in that aspect. But alas, not the case at all - design goal is speed and nothing else, and that's the reason why i left the team eons ago.
Old 21 April 2021, 15:31   #18
manossg

Quote:
What I said is "you'll be very hard pressed to find any game devs creating games only for Vampires."
Well, I told you already some of them and then you moved the goalpost to why are there only 2 >this year<. My point is that there are apparently devs doing that, even if you or Meynaf don't like it.

Quote:
I just don't see the point of someone constantly advertising Vampire's in virtually every single post. Boring and spamtastic IMHO
DamienD, I still don't get what your problem is. My impression is just that that you dislike the Vampire. Of course, it is perfectly ok for you to dislike it, but it is totally ok for others to consider it awesome. Some devs will want to code for the Vamp, some will not, it is not for me or you but for them, individually, to decide.

Providing motivation, in the form of monetary compensation is a positive thing that contributes to the community and it is something that deserves praise, not nagging.

Quote:
Do you see me constantly banging on about how good WinUAE is?
Ahem, I remember you expressing your WinUAE enthusiasm throughout the forum. Now why would that be a bad or spammy thing if it is something you are genuinely enthusiastic about?
Old 21 April 2021, 16:00   #19
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
DamienD, I still don't get what your problem is. My impression is just that that you dislike the Vampire. Of course, it is perfectly ok for you to dislike it, but it is totally ok for others to consider it awesome. Some devs will want to code for the Vamp, some will not, it is not for me or you but for them, individually, to decide.
Yes, I don't like the Vampire as I really don't see the point. It's not an Amiga and never will be, just like a Raspberry PI or a MiSTer.

Sure, there are people that like this kind of thing and hats off to them.

My point is that it's annoying to read someone's every single post being related to the Vampire, let's create games for the Vampire etc.

...and please tell me where I've said that developers are not free to choose what they create games for? Be it real Amigas, Next Gen, Vampire's or even an Etcha Sketch.

What I said, and I'll quote yet again:

Quote:
Quote:
Providing motivation, in the form of monetary compensation is a positive thing that contributes to the community and it is something that deserves praise, not nagging.
...and you think I haven't done stuff like providing motivation in the form of monetary compensation, or done numerous things to support the community???

Anyway, this is a mute point and has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

Quote:
Ahem, I remember you expressing your WinUAE enthusiasm throughout the forum. Now why would that be a bad or spammy thing if it is something you are genuinely enthusiastic about?
I'm sure people would get fed up if all my posts were saying WinUAE is the greatest / create games for this.
Old 21 April 2021, 16:16   #20
manossg

Quote:
Yes, I don't like the Vampire as I really don't see the point. It's not an Amiga and never will be, just like a Raspberry PI or a MiSTer.
...for you.

Quote:
...and please tell me where I've said that developers are not free to choose what they create games for? Be it real Amigas, Next Gen, Vampire's or even an Etcha Sketch.
Happy to oblige:
Quote:
Developers should just create games for the Amiga.

Quote:
...and you think I haven't done stuff like providing motivation in the form of monetary compensation, or done numerous things to support the community???
I know you have and it is an admirable thing to do. So is Pyromania's generous offer.