English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 August 2003, 22:24   #1
yadster

limit to files in a directory?

After treating myself to a CD drive for my miggy I thought I'd pop loads of files onto CDs to use with the miggy. I can access the CDs fine but when I try to go into a directory that has a lot of stuff in it (mods, lha,dms, adf etc) it bombs out. The same happens when using Dopus, fine for listing dirs that have a few files but bombs out if trying to list a dir with lots of stuff.

So is there a limit to the amount of files I can safely put in one directory?

What are the best settings for burning an Amiga data CD? I'm using Nero, Iso 9660, mode 2/XA and iso level 2.

I remember the old 17bit cds that had a fancy menu you could use that allowed you to choose a file to extract to floppy. Is there similar software that I could use? I tried creating a html file that linked to the files (eg file:///cd0/pd/1003.dms and numerous other configs) but that hasn't worked. (I'm afraid I'm not that clued up on html)

So many questions :-)
Old 07 August 2003, 23:51   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
I don't think there is a limit, specialy if your using CacheCDFS, but personally I wouldn't put more than a 1000 or so, the amiga is terrible at handling large directories, I have done just over 4000 with out a crash reading it...

It could be a memory problem if you only have a basic system...

best thing to do is to sort them into different types and put each in it's own drawer (makes them easier to find too).

The best method to make an amiga data CD is to connect the CDRW to an amiga and use MakeCD

I think there was a utility on aminet that would list a cd as a guide file, then you could click on lha's or dms's to extract them, but can't remember what it's called

So many questions, so few answers... but it's too bloody hot here tonight, so tough (substance of choice)...
Old 08 August 2003, 00:06   #3
yadster

I'm finding my way around Dopus again and have configured it to extract files such as DMS which makes it a doddle when listing directories. I just tried a test CD with a few directories each containing a different amount of files. All seem to work fine except the one which I put around 200 files in.
Old 08 August 2003, 03:55   #4
yadster

Me again

Thanks for the tip off about cachecdfs Severin. I'm using a scsi cd with a pcmia squirrel interface and installed the software that came with that - I just assumed that was the best and only way to be able to use the drive. Anyway after a bit of searching I found that idefix97 comes with cachecdfs so I installed that and everything works fine, even CDs that wouldn't previously load. Now the only problem is I keep getting an annoying pop-up requester - is Ide97 still sold so I can register it???
Old 08 August 2003, 09:28   #5
thomas

You can register IDEfix97 here: http://shareit1.element5.com/product...oductid=106332 (they had to rename it because of copyright issues).

There is also a free reg number on www.amigarealm.com (Drivers / Hard Drive Controllers / IDE / Power Computing 4 Way Buffered). It has been there for ages, so perhaps it could be tolerated by the author (don't know).
Old 08 August 2003, 09:55   #6
yadster

Thanks Thomas for the info
Old 08 August 2003, 11:31   #7
Echo

Large directory listings use a stupid amount of chipmem, so if some of this is already in use by the operating system and other applications you may well run out completely!

A little trick I use for speeding this up: Use custom icons for "default tool" and "default project" and make them tiny. Listings should come up twice as quick and use half the chip memory.

I've attached the ones I created as an example.

They need to be placed in Workbench\Prefs\Env-Archive\Sys\
Attached Files
File Type: zip def_tool_and_project.zip (454 Bytes, 216 views)
Old 09 August 2003, 15:00   #8
yadster

Cheers Echo. It wasn't because of the chip memory because after switching to CacheCDFS there's been no probs at all. It was the software that came with the drive by Hisoft that just wasn't up to scratch, some CDs loaded slowly or bombed, others not at all. Now every CD I put in loads in a flash. I know what you mean by the chipmem because if there are a lot of icons it can decrease at an alarming pace. After a bit of tinkering I've set up my A1200 with Bloodwych's excellent ClassicWBADV and installed Dopus 4.12CU (the free version that came with CU Amiga). What I've done is configured Opus so that when I double-click an ADF file it automatically extracts to DFO. I'm using Tracktool by Codetapper which does the job but I can't get it to extract to a virtual floppy but there's loads of similar utils on Aminet that I'll give a try. In the meantime I'm off outside to burn in the garden