English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Collections

Old 20 August 2020, 20:26   #1
dreadnought

Ultimate ADF collection?

Does such thing exists? I mean, something like TOSEC (has everything that is available) but without duplicates, 1G1R (one game one rom) style.
Old 20 August 2020, 20:56   #2
Radertified

DamienD's WinUAE collection is by no means complete but it's the closest thing at the moment.

There's also Belgarath's GBAmiga, although he hasn't updated that in years

Ultimately I'd love to see the 2 projects merge because I absolutely love the completeness of GBAmiga (ADF, IPF, WHDLoad, manuals, boxart, screenshots, etc) and the amount of effort DamienD puts into verifying titles.
Old 20 August 2020, 21:09   #3
dreadnought

Exactly, if we could merge the two, + TOSEC...

I'm just looking for a complete reference set for my MiSTer SD and the TOSEC ADF is a bit big @~14 GB, and a pain to navigate. I do use the GBAmiga set but as you say it hasn't been updated in a long time...
Old 21 August 2020, 00:02   #4
DamienD
Banned

GameBase Amiga or my collection are definitely great starts in regards to good .ADFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
I absolutely love the completeness of GBAmiga (ADF, IPF, WHDLoad, manuals, boxart, screenshots, etc) and the amount of effort DamienD puts into verifying titles.
As I've said somewhere else; having the .ADF, .IPF and WHDLoad is a bit pointless IMHO... it's still the same game.

In my collection I try to have the best version.

Also in my collection you will find loads of game that are not in other collections i.e:

... Custom .HDFs created by me for games that don't run from floppy.
... Custom AmigaCD --> HDFs; again created by me.
... Some difficult to install / get running RTG games like Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy.
... Some CD32 games.
... Some CDTV games.
... Some Cubo32 games.
... Other miscellaneous stuff like [American Laser Games] / [Ports] / [Shapeshifter] / [Unreleased] etc.

Last edited by DamienD; 21 August 2020 at 00:10.
Old 21 August 2020, 00:50   #5
chip

It's less known but also exists an ADF collection by Thunder

It contains 6.600 games and i think it is only in ADF format (but i didn't check through all the collection)
Old 21 August 2020, 02:03   #6
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
It's less known but also exists an ADF collection by Thunder

It contains 6.600 games and i think it is only in ADF format (but i didn't check through all the collection)
Where's this Thunder collection you speak of located?

At the moment, to obtain a cool set of ADFs. Stripping all of the ADFs from DamienDs collection & obtaining the complete Gamebase 2.0 ADF set it the best way to go for MiSTer FPGA use.

The gamebase 2.0 is a good backup source away from DamienDs set as he has quite a few IPFs, HDFs, ISO etc which are incompatible with MiSTer .

Technically another added mix of tosec adfs will be ideal for a complete ADF set but the problem lies of having to remove duplicates from it, which I ain't doing
Old 21 August 2020, 02:09   #7
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Where's this Thunder collection you speak of located?
I wonder that too, this collection must be offline at the moment of speaking.
Old 21 August 2020, 03:19   #8
Radertified

It's not about whether or not a collection exists. It's about the quality of the selected disk images.

If it's a matter of "My collection doesn't have this game so I'll include the first version I find that boots", then it's not worth having. You need a carefully curated collection like Damien's or Belgarath's where you know the person took time to verify each and every title to the best of their ability.

If care has been taken with this Thunder collection, then I too am interested.

If it's just about having everything, someone could easily write a script that runs through TOSEC looking for individual titles and pulling the ones that appears the most (that don't have a [b] tag) because that's most likely the "best" version. (no I won't write it, before anyone asks)
Old 21 August 2020, 03:50   #9
LongLifeA1200

There once was one. The size of the collection was staggering. I can't remember if it was 40, 60 or 80gb, but at the time I thought it would be a ridiculous idea to try and download it.

Now gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
1G1R (one game one rom) style.
Can't be done. Some of the images carry over disk errors and graphical errors and such, so multiple unique versions are needed. Not to mention the different cracktros you'd be missing out on.

Quote:
Technically another added mix of tosec adfs will be ideal for a complete ADF set but the problem lies of having to remove duplicates from it, which I ain't doing
You would need a program to do a byte by byte comparison for you.
Old 21 August 2020, 04:52   #10
ransom1122

Quote:
If it's a matter of "My collection doesn't have this game so I'll include the first version I find that boots", then it's not worth having. You need a carefully curated collection like Damien's or Belgarath's where you know the person took time to verify each and every title to the best of their ability.

If care has been taken with this Thunder collection, then I too am interested.

If it's just about having everything, someone could easily write a script that runs through TOSEC looking for individual titles and pulling the ones that appears the most (that don't have a [b] tag) because that's most likely the "best" version. (no I won't write it, before anyone asks)
The TOSEC set is backend you would not use it primarily, I guess only if its not included in Gamebase 2.0 or DDs set you would troll through tosec, hence why to have a clean tosec adf set would be ideal..

Correct me if I'm wrong but tag [b] isn't that supposed to mean bad dump instead of best?
Old 21 August 2020, 05:05   #11
Radertified

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but tag [b] isn't that supposed to mean bad dump instead of best?
Yep, that's what I meant. I guess I worded that badly.
Old 21 August 2020, 06:55   #12
ransom1122

Quote:
Yep, that's what I meant. I guess I worded that badly.
No stress...
Old 21 August 2020, 07:38   #13
chip

The Thunder collection is here, it's the file number 01

ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/thunder/Amiga_Games/

Anyway, no idea if these games are verified or not
Old 21 August 2020, 11:52   #14
dreadnought

Quote:
It seems that the "first version that boots" is the only solution. I'm sure DD and Belgarath have spent a lot of time verifying the games but obviously they haven't finished each one of them, so we can't be 100% these are "perfect" anyway.

In that case the ideal is one of the aforementioned collections patched with TOSEC. I'm not too bothered by small glitches or especially lack of cracktros - I just want to see the game, especially when the alternative is nothing at all.

In fact, I've just had a look at the Thunder collection (thanks for the link, chip!) and it has passed my "does it have Delta Patrol" test It's also nicely organised so I think I'll use this chain now: WHDLoad-Gamebase-Thunder-TOSEC.

It'd still be nice to have a 1G1R TOSEC, but it'd be quite a lot of handiwork, because I'm not sure a script could handle it without trimming something out.

No-Intro is kind of like that but they have multiple languages which is also clutter, and no Delta Patrol, so not sure how complete it is.
Old 21 August 2020, 11:56   #15
ransom1122

Quote:

In that case the ideal is one of the aforementioned collections patched with TOSEC. I'm not too bothered by small glitches or especially lack of cracktros - I just want to see the game, especially when the alternative is nothing at all.

In fact, I've just had a look at the Thunder collection (thanks for the link, chip!) and it has passed my "does it have Delta Patrol" test It's also nicely organised so I think I'll use this chain now: WHDLoad-Gamebase-Thunder-TOSEC.

It'd still be nice to have a 1G1R TOSEC, but it'd be quite a lot of handiwork, because I'm not sure a script could handle it without trimming something out.

No-Intro is kind of like that but they have multiple languages which is also clutter, and no Delta Patrol, so not sure how complete it is.
Nice, ticks my approval from your response.

Is there any chance if either yourself or anyone else can upload it to mega... ftp speeds are horrendous at my end..
Old 21 August 2020, 12:10   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
It seems that the "first version that boots" is the only solution. I'm sure DD and Belgarath have spent a lot of time verifying the games but obviously they haven't finished each one of them, so we can't be 100% these are "perfect" anyway.
Over 15 years now

Thing is, as mentioned here, I'll never include every single Amiga game in my collection... there's a lot of rubbish out there.

Oh, and Delta Patrol isn't in my collection... guess I've failed then.

Last edited by DamienD; 21 August 2020 at 12:19.
Old 21 August 2020, 14:12   #17
dreadnought

Quote:
Is there any chance if either yourself or anyone else can upload it to mega... ftp speeds are horrendous at my end..
https://mega.nz/#!R1lXCAjS!5B9-yCx8y..._Gg2BcyiPcV0dU

I will delete it in a few days though coz I'm low on space there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Over 15 years now

Thing is, as mentioned here, I'll never include every single Amiga game in my collection... there's a lot of rubbish out there.

Oh, and Delta Patrol isn't in my collection... guess I've failed then.
Of course, this is your personal collection so you can include whatever you want.
But, for my "research" purposes I need a resource which has all the known and available titles. And "rubbish" is subjective

I actually like to play through entire platform catalogues, starting at the release year, firing up every single title. Hence Delta Patrol - it's a game from 1985. I actually managed to get it working yesterday, it's not bad at all (quite funny too).

Now on the lookout for YachtC and Amiga Mega Pak compilation it's suppsed to be in. Not in TOSEC :/ Seems I have a new "test" game...
Old 21 August 2020, 14:55   #18
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
But, for my "research" purposes I need a resource which has all the known and available titles.
...then that is TOSEC; and not my collection or GameBase Amiga.

You'll definitely have a lot of fun trying to work out "good" files though; best of luck.
Old 21 August 2020, 16:52   #19
Radertified

Quote:
Now on the lookout for YachtC and Amiga Mega Pak compilation it's suppsed to be in. Not in TOSEC :/ Seems I have a new "test" game...
I don't know about the Mega Pak compilation, but YachtC has been available in TOSEC for a while. FTP Link
Old 21 August 2020, 17:22   #20
dreadnought

Thanks, I guess I should've done a proper CTRL+F search. But this again is the "problem" with TOSEC, it's so huge & has so many files that I don't even bother unpacking it