English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 February 2024, 19:40   #21
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst Blofeld View Post
£53 is nothing to people with real jobs.
£53000 is nothing for billionaires, yet, they would never spent it on something they don't need... not even £5.

Actually, from my experience, the poorer the man, the easier he gave up his £53.
Old 27 February 2024, 21:42   #22
kamelito
Zone Friend

I enjoy playing GoldRunner, I like the mouse control and music very much.
Old 27 February 2024, 23:43   #23
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Well for collection purpose i own Goldrunner, but it's a fuckin' damn piece of shit, and i'm polite.

It has zero replay value, it's butt-ugly, the scroll speed is non-sense.

Steve Bak did much better than that crap.

Give this guy a Gold medal, perfectly said! Pile of shite than no'one would pay £53 for even if they had two brain operations, anyone saying they would fork that kind of money out for this garbage is not just talking shit,...but talking MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE level shit!
Old 28 February 2024, 19:26   #24
Seiya

i agreed. two very awful games
Old 28 February 2024, 19:37   #25
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst Blofeld View Post
£53 is nothing to people with real jobs.
What's a real job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
£53000 is nothing for billionaires, yet, they would never spent it on something they don't need... not even £5.
That's definitely not true. Have you seen the houses and cars they buy? No one needs that.

Last edited by Thorham; 28 February 2024 at 23:05. Reason: spelling
Old 28 February 2024, 21:53   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Houses and cars are still money though, just in a different form. If you play your cards right, you can even flip them.
Old 02 March 2024, 11:14   #27
Snoopy1234

RTG modded Goldrunner comes bundled today with Apollo OS for V4 cards
Old 04 March 2024, 01:19   #28
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Sorry no, call Goldrunner what you like, an interactive tech demo, a product of its time, even a bad shooter, but a shitty game it is not.
Old 04 March 2024, 13:15   #29
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I think most Steve Bak games don't play particularly well.
For early ST games they are technically very well done, though.

No idea why he did the "Defender" style game again and again, though.

Nevertheless, I remember watching the screenshots of this game in awe in 1987.
Those colors and crisp pixels looked incredible back then.

Steve Lyon was a very talented pixel artist. And Steve Bak was great with coding and had some fun ideas to press stuff out of the ST it wasn't made for.

Imagine they had a third person who had actually an idea about fun gameplay.
Old 04 March 2024, 13:54   #30
Megalomaniac

I make that 7 people who hate Goldrunner, and 5 who've defended it at least partially. I'm not sure any previous SGT nominee has fared that well. The Amiga version wasn't the original one, it was designed to show off a technical achievement on another system, it was released so early in the Amiga's life, and reviewed well at the time. I don't think it belongs in this category. It's got at least as much gameplay as that other game we keep talking about in every other thread, whose programmers consider it to have been little more than a tech demo. For 16-bit shooters, what was better than Goldrunner in 1987? Beyond maybe Plutos I'm struggling.
Old 04 March 2024, 21:39   #31
paul1981

Cisco Heat is a decent game and in my opinion, does does not belong in any crap-list.
I've been playing it recently and I've got to Stage 5 after a few attempts...over a week or two that is. I'm hoping to finish it soon!

The graphics are really nice, they're interesting and 'cartoony', with plenty of colour and detail. The sound is good, the music is good, the frame rate is quite poor but acceptable. The car handles well, and once you figure out that you have to go around the 90 degree turns at full speed you'll be well away. It can be frantic and rewarding, with some frustration at times, but overall is fun to play once you get the hang of it.

Give it a go!
Old 05 March 2024, 20:18   #32
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
Cisco Heat is a decent game and in my opinion, does does not belong in any crap-list.
I've been playing it recently and I've got to Stage 5 after a few attempts...over a week or two that is. I'm hoping to finish it soon!

The graphics are really nice, they're interesting and 'cartoony', with plenty of colour and detail. The sound is good, the music is good, the frame rate is quite poor but acceptable. The car handles well, and once you figure out that you have to go around the 90 degree turns at full speed you'll be well away. It can be frantic and rewarding, with some frustration at times, but overall is fun to play once you get the hang of it.

Give it a go!
this is a fair account of the game I feel. Sometimes the barrier to a game is our own approach to how we deal with potentially bothersome aspects and without respect for this leave a sorry taste when trying new games. And I did quite like the game once I had familiarised with these seemingly underwhelming aspects enough that it was fun for me as I learned to play.

While I certainly think general impressions are often a good indicator for if you like a game or not, a case of adjusting can also be quite useful I find in knowing if I really don't like a game or not and in this particular case I quite like this one
Old 10 March 2024, 14:52   #33
paul1981

Just an update... I finished it a couple of nights back. I enjoyed it, and you know what? I'm going to play it again and try and complete it with the slower red car, which appears to be more of a challenge!

This game has some unique features for Amiga racing games as far as I can tell. On stage 4 there are 6 lanes on the motorway, and on stage 5 there are 8 lanes. To my knowledge, these are the widest roads ever on any Amiga racing game. There's loads of balloons in the air too at the end, it was quite a sight!

For anyone interested, my score was 1188600 and time '35". I don't know what that means. Maybe 35 mins play?

Now...was it 8 or 10 lanes...I've forgotten already!

Last edited by paul1981; 10 March 2024 at 18:14.
Old 11 March 2024, 12:32   #34
kamelito
Zone Friend

In GR the destruction you have done are reset if you die that is bad design but maybe the game would have been to easy then.