English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 08 September 2006, 02:45   #1
kipper2k

IPF writing to disk status

Hi All,

I have been reading the posts and i am trying to find an updated post on whether ipf's (both protected images and Amiga dos format) can be rewritten to disk. Whether all, some or none can actually be transferred back to floppy. It would be nice to have an "original" archived and to use instead of an original.
WHDload is nice but i found some games misbehave whether it be sound, speed or grfx related issues. Capone, one of my favourite games suffers miserably in WHDload, the sound works when it wants to. I wouldnt mind the loading time of an original if i knew it was going to work 100% without save errors etc.

So bottom line, Can or will IPF writing back to floppy be a reality ?

Thanks all
Kipper

Last edited by kipper2k; 08 September 2006 at 02:56.
Old 08 September 2006, 03:42   #2
gizmomelb

it'd be nice.. I'm guessing that the IPF format has elements of the Freeform language used by Trace Machines that actually write the original disks.

speaking of which.. doing a quick google reveals that refurbished Trace Machines are quite low in price (compared to what they were).. so here's hoping someone can buy one soon, dissect it and find a cheap hobbyist way with today's tech to make one to connect to the Amiga so we can then write out IPF images.

http://www.awp1.com/ldrprc.html

also I have no idea if this is of interest to the SPS team, but I recalled having a utility+hardware on my Apple II that allowed me to do a supposed exact bit for bit copy of original disks (I had a similar thing for my C64+1541 as well but cannot recall it's name). anyways, I found some info and a schematic for the card.. might be of interest for modding something for the Amiga or even still for the old Apples?

http://www.apple2info.net/hardware/edd/edd.htm

I recall that due to the Amiga's controllable floppy and programs like XCopy - the best backup option for my mates with Acord Archimedes wanting to backup original games was to bring the game to me and I'd copy it on my A500! Copied the Archimedes original games with no problems at all.
Old 10 December 2006, 16:28   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Probably there are also other reasons why the SPS team has put the work on this "feature" on hold!

Anyone could create "originals" which were never original! For example, have a completely corrupt original disk with original label, use some steam to melt the glue of the adhesive label, stick the label on a new disk, copy over the IPF contents one by one, and eventually let it look like an original disk from 1990!

Then sell it on ebay...
and 9 out of 10 people would not realize they've been cheated on.

It would be an easy way to "play God" - yes you got it, it could even be considered a political problem to make that possible. Yes I'm serious.

Last edited by andreas; 10 December 2006 at 16:33.
Old 11 December 2006, 09:36   #4
gizmomelb

hmm, yes that'd so be worth it.. original disks without boxes or instructions go for so much on ebay.

I doubt there is hardly a market for 'clone' Amiga games (if you went to the immense trouble of replicating the box, manuals etc.etc.) - mainly because so many floppy drives are now on their last legs - an easy to use and install floppy drive replacement is what is needed to rejuvenate original hardware.
Old 11 December 2006, 11:32   #5
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
it'd be nice.. I'm guessing that the IPF format has elements of the Freeform language used by Trace Machines that actually write the original disks.

speaking of which.. doing a quick google reveals that refurbished Trace Machines are quite low in price (compared to what they were).. so here's hoping someone can buy one soon, dissect it and find a cheap hobbyist way with today's tech to make one to connect to the Amiga so we can then write out IPF images.

http://www.awp1.com/ldrprc.html
Anyone want to take a bid ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trace-TRACER-ST-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11 December 2006, 16:55   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
there is hardly a market for 'clone' Amiga games (if you went to the
immense trouble of replicating the box, manuals etc.etc.)
Looks you missed my point, mate.

It is about a full original, but with BROKEN original disk! This full original would probably be impossible to sell at all without a replacement disk!
Sure, you cannot do that with each and every disk, not with those that have logos printed or even carved in on the disk surface! But you can with those that simply look like no-name disks with a rectangular sticker applied on them...