English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 22 March 2002, 16:56   #1
matthew

Roll eyes (sarcastic) terra cresta

terra cresta is normally one hell of a shooter,but is this game on the amiga? it is something like SWIV
THNX

Old 22 March 2002, 19:13   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

It never got released on Amiga AFAIK. Maybe it was just as well......the abominable C64 conversion is still fresh in my memory as are equally crap early Amiga coin-op conversions like Renegade.
Old 22 March 2002, 20:26   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yup - this game is not on the Amiga!
Old 25 March 2002, 19:20   #4
icycool
Banned

Re Shadowen..

C64 version of Terra Cresta is one of my favourite C64 titles.
Better than the arcade version IMO with superior music by the great Martin Galway.

My other fave shooter on C64 is Slap Fight.
Old 26 March 2002, 20:02   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Icy[ool
Yeah I know at the time some people thought C64 Terra Cresta was cool for an arcade conversion, but a lot of the mags rated it as a mediocre/fair conversion. At the time I thought it was a disappointing conversion (despite the cool Martin Galway music). Worse still is that IMO I don't think it's aged very well either. Slap Fight, otoh, is still quite a good little shoot'em up. Pity it ended up the same way as Combat School and a lot of other cool C64 games by Ocean/Imagine on Amiga- planned for conversion but never released.
Old 26 March 2002, 23:35   #6
icycool
Banned

I think Terra Cresta is a technically good, fun to play and fairly accurate arcade conversion. - a few points about it.

1) Cool Title music with some very nice filtering effects
2) Reasonable ingame music, quite consistant with Arcade vers.
3) Smooth Scrolling.
4) Border Sprite Scoring
5) Sprite Highscore over Scrolling Background (rarely used in games)
6) Scroll map shifts to left after each level is used so you see more different graphics the further you get.
7) All arcade objects represented reasonably accurately and none missing on the C64 conversion.
8) Nice to play with good controls.
9) Cool tape loading picture with the classic music (Ocean Loader)
10) Same engine as is used in Slap Fight.

And lets be honest..how many reviews has anyone read only to find the game they list as crap, you really like.
I certainly don't follow reviews, prefer to see for myself.
Just look at many old C64 mags and see the variation in reviews of the same game, none can be fully trusted since its all relative to the reviewers tastes.
I saw the C64 version first, and later discovered it was based on an Arcade game, so I wasn't put off by the quality difference from the Arcade to the C64 versions.
How many old games have remained as good as we remember them from 15 years ago?

There..said my piece, I needed to defend this cool shooter ;-)

Last edited by icycool; 26 March 2002 at 23:42.
Old 27 March 2002, 14:41   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by |cy[ool
And lets be honest..how many reviews has anyone read only to find the game they list as crap, you really like.
Not a ridiculous number, but enough to know not to trust them 100%.

Quote:
Just look at many old C64 mags and see the variation in reviews of the same game, none can be fully trusted since its all relative to the reviewers tastes.
Agreed, although in the day I found Zzap!64 rarely got it totally wrong. IIRC they gave Terra Cresta 77% or thereabouts. At the time I probably would have given it 65-70%.

Quote:
I saw the C64 version first, and later discovered it was based on an Arcade game, so I wasn't put off by the quality difference from the Arcade to the C64 versions.
You're an unusual case then ;-) It is inevitable that if you've seen an arcade game before the conversion to computer that you are going to compare the two. Software houses anticipate this also. If the computer version doesn't compare favourably to the arcade original then it usually matters little if it might be a reasonable game in its own right because the expectation has been raised by the fact that it is an arcade conversion and the software house has marketed it that way.

Quote:
How many old games have remained as good as we remember them from 15 years ago?
Not a lot because a lot of releases back then (as is the case now) were mediocre. However, a lot of the classics have lost little magic for retrogamers like me. For instance, this week I've thoroughly enjoyed playing Archon 1 & 2 on my Amiga. They are every bit as good as they were 16 years ago when they were released. How do I know this? Well when the computer beat me I got so mad that I almost threw my joystick against the wall just like 16 years ago ;-)

Quote:
There..said my piece, I needed to defend this cool shooter ;-)
And you did it well too :-) Thoroughly enjoyed this nostalgic thread!
Old 28 March 2002, 01:05   #8
icycool
Banned

hehe, my pleasure