English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 20 March 2021, 10:59   #1
Fraggle2

AmigaOS 4.1 on FS-UAE experience

Hi all,

as a previous long time Amiga Classic user and current long time FS-UAE user, I was thinking about giving AmigaOS 4.1 a try, for a long time. Last week I finally decided to buy AmigaForever 9 (for the rom files and stuff) and AmigaOS 4.1 Classic. I am using FS-UAE 3.0.5, as distributed with Debian Bullseye.

I would not have expected that this was going to be such a loooong journey, as it turned out to be! :-) Manually adding the qemu plugin was the easiest part. For a week, I did not manage to boot the AmigaOS iso, trying everything, almost giving up. Today I found out that it is not enough to take the roms from the AF CD, you have to install the software under Windows first. After first run of A4000 PPC there, you have a set of working rom files. Luckily, I have a Windows VM. I transfered the "Amiga Files" folder from there again to the respective FS-UAE directory, fiddled some more with FS-UAE settings, added the bootfloppy and FINALLY the AmigaOS installer iso booted! I was so happy! :-)

Installation of AmigaOS 4.1 was quite smooth, after I found out that I have to make DH0: bootable. After installation, I shut down FS-UAE, removed the bootfloppy and the CD iso from the config, started the emulator again...

...and ...

... "Not a DOS disk in device DH0"

Now I am really lost. SO close to the solution, and still no bootable AmigaOS 4.1. Please, please, can you help me?!
Old 21 March 2021, 09:53   #2
fl@sh

On YouTube there are many videos about installing OS4.1 on uae/winuae.
I suggest you to look there and look at single steps to boot OS4.1 for a fast answer
For sure with 4.1 you’ll have a much better amiga experience.
Old 22 March 2021, 15:09   #3
Fraggle2

I have got it solved!
I am not 100% sure, but I think the reason was, that my hardfile/partition was too big with 4 GB. After reducing it to 2 GB and reinstalling of AmigaOS 4.1 not it works.

Next I will have to find out how to make networking work.

Is there a way to get a FullHD resolution in the emulated machine?
Old 22 March 2021, 17:28   #4
amigafreak68k

Yes. Your classic Amiga boots first in 68k mode and support boot partition size only to 2 GB.