English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 May 2022, 19:55   #121
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Maverick Quickshot was by far best joystick on Amiga. With proper adapter, you could switch player 1 and 2 without touching Amiga's back end, proper autofire, 2 buttons and very close to arcade feel. I would love to get joystick like that for PC. (with few more buttons)

My second favorite was Sega Megadrive/Genesis gamepad.

Worst - phone dial joysticks from Intellivision.

Old 10 May 2022, 22:29   #122
32Bits

The Un-Roller Controller

The worst joystick I have ever encountered has to be. The Un-Roller Controller by Roklan. These came two in a box they are a roller ball shaped joystick. you put your hand on it sort of like a mouse and applied pressure the the direction you wanted to go. was so bad I connected them up tried it once and back in the box they went to this day lol.

Last edited by 32Bits; 10 May 2022 at 22:49. Reason: a
Old 11 May 2022, 12:08   #123
acidbottle

Konix Speed King. How anyone enjoyed using these wrist breakers I have no idea, not very accurate either. Same with the "Bug" handheld thing, utterly uncomfortable and useless.

Hate for the Quickshot Pro Maverick on here? You guys are mad as close to the arcade experience as it got for the Amiga!

Did enjoy 2600 sticks as well, even if they broke too easy, they were cheap & easy to find and replace. Never had a stiff one either, always felt just right.

Only drawback with microswitch sticks is they are all noisy as hell.
Old 11 May 2022, 12:15   #124
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
The abomination supplied with C64mini is my new adept for the worst joystick I have encountered. 5 mins with this and my wrists hurt like hell. Horrible squeaking noises is a bonus.

Its "upgraded" version with microswitches is even worse, with additional premium inaccuracy.
Old 11 May 2022, 13:53   #125
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
The abomination supplied with C64mini is my new adept for the worst joystick I have encountered. 5 mins with this and my wrists hurt like hell. Horrible squeaking noises is a bonus.

Its "upgraded" version with microswitches is even worse, with additional premium inaccuracy.

It is really bad joystick or we got old.

Competition pro had the same feeling, even new one I got few years back. It might just be us getting old...
Old 11 May 2022, 16:15   #126
drHirudo
Amiga user

Thumbs up

Some crap joysticks that I've acquired recently:

QJ Quality Joystick SuperStar SV-131 (1992)
[ Show youtube player ]

Quickshot QS-131 Apache 1
[ Show youtube player ]

Quickjoy II Turbo SV-124 Joystick
[ Show youtube player ]

Atari 2600 & 7800 Pro-Line / Deluxe Joystick / Super Controller Console Joystick Controller
[ Show youtube player ]

Daewoo Bawareth Perfect DPJ-905 Joystick
[ Show youtube player ]

Atari Style Joystick with DB9 connector
[ Show youtube player ]

Good ones, but in bad state:

Competition Pro Extra Joystick DB9
[ Show youtube player ]

Atari CX40 Joystick Controller
[ Show youtube player ]

Homebrew one:

Custom Home Made Joystick with DB9 D-Sub Connector
[ Show youtube player ]

The best Joystick/Joypad that I still use daily:
Speedlink Strike 2 SL-6335 Gamepad
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 May 2022, 16:24   #127
dreadnought

I just despise all joysticks by default. Had mostly the flight-style Quickshots back in the day and hated them dearly (missed the ZX'
s "redefine keyboard" a lot!). Now I have some better options, such as Comp Pro or arcade style, but even so will mostly rather use a joypad.

Wish it was possible to use modern controllers without much faff, because the analogue sticks are my favourite, much better than any d-pad or joystick.
Old 11 May 2022, 23:04   #128
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Wish it was possible to use modern controllers without much faff, because the analogue sticks are my favourite, much better than any d-pad or joystick.
Odd.. This whole thread is interesting re: everyone's preferences.. I avoid analogue thumbsticks like the plague on any 2D games, retro or otherwise (including 3D graphics but 2D motion, eg most fighting games) as analogue sticks, whatever their size, are nowhere near as easy to get precise commands out of.. ? Things like Turrican or Apidya on analogue stick are just weird.

I'm an arcade stick/zipstick person, generally, though I liked the Quickshot Python a lot BITD.. (I think we broke a couple of them though!) Worst joystick I've used is the terrible Atari bricks, it's like they're built to be uncomfortable. I remember one coming with our family ST.. Sooo unpleasant to use.
Old 11 May 2022, 23:48   #129
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Odd.. This whole thread is interesting re: everyone's preferences.. I avoid analogue thumbsticks like the plague on any 2D games, retro or otherwise (including 3D graphics but 2D motion, eg most fighting games) as analogue sticks, whatever their size, are nowhere near as easy to get precise commands out of.. ? Things like Turrican or Apidya on analogue stick are just weird.
It's odd indeed I equally don't understand this sentiment (and I've heard it before) because for me using the analogue stick is zillion times easier and more precise than wrestling with a joystick - or even d-pad. For example, when PSX core appeared recently on MiSTer, my scores in R-Type and Einhander went instantly up (using DS4's thumbsticks) and I've been playing them for years using original PS controller with d-pad.

To be clear, I don't mean I'm actualy using it as native analogue input, it's just when it's mapped to the old control way in MiSTer or emulators. I don't think this is really analog, as it was in old sims or modern games.

It's just that minuscule movements of my thumb are really less work than using two hands to grip a joystick and move it.

The only joysticks I do enjoy are the small ones on arcade cabs or the big arcade-style boards for home use. Then you can operate the stick without actually having to support the thing as well. But even the home ones take a lot of space and require you to assume certain position.
Old 12 May 2022, 00:34   #130
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
To be clear, I don't mean I'm actualy using it as native analogue input, it's just when it's mapped to the old control way in MiSTer or emulators. I don't think this is really analog, as it was in old sims or modern games.

It's just that minuscule movements of my thumb are really less work than using two hands to grip a joystick and move it.
Strange, hehe. I do not like an analogue stick for non-analog motion at allll because it's too "loose" - finding the sweet spots between the directions is an extra thing to think about, it feels slippery.. It's really hard to pull off moves in fighting games with an analogue stick. In the same way i dont like an arcade stick with a circular restrictor plate.. But 10x worse, haha.

Quote:
The only joysticks I do enjoy are the small ones on arcade cabs or the big arcade-style boards for home use. Then you can operate the stick without actually having to support the thing as well. But even the home ones take a lot of space and require you to assume certain position.
The ArcadeR is a good stick for this as it has sanwa (clone) parts, and a small, standard arcade stick.. you can fit your own restrictor (by default it has a round one for some stupid reason).. It's like a more comfortable, more slick competition pro stick, so very small, 2 button support. I love them. (I still want to get an Immortal stick eventually though, haha)

Competition Pros though, I really don't like them.. Unless I've just been unlucky, they've all been SO DAMN STIFF, jeez.
Old 12 May 2022, 04:53   #131
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Reading through this thread I don't understand all hate for the Cheetah 125+ joysticks. Sure, they won't win any quality awards but they are better than a lot of other 'el cheapo' joysticks of their time. I almost always used Cheetahs 125+ with my Speccys and I still do. Use non other. Must be a nostalgia thing.

For the Amiga I once got a Saitek MegaStick II MX-120, originally made for the SEGA Master System. It had a left stick/right buttons layout like the arcades, should support the second fire button and was a lot cheaper than a Competition Pro or even a QuickShot Maverick. But it absolutely sucks. The metallic "clicks" it makes are not from real microswitches but from metal sheet contact. It has a horrendous built quality, it's flimsy - almost brittle - and the accuracy of the controls is poor. If I had to choose the worse joystick I owned (and tried) it would be this one.

Old 14 May 2022, 00:03   #132
paul1981

All of them!
Old 14 May 2022, 17:29   #133
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
All of them!
You hate all joysticks equally? I guess it maybe depends on what you play..?
Old 14 May 2022, 22:54   #134
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
Konix Speed King. How anyone enjoyed using these wrist breakers I have no idea, not very accurate either. Same with the "Bug" handheld thing, utterly uncomfortable and useless.
QFT, I had one for a very short while and resold it almost immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Some crap joysticks that I've acquired recently:

QJ Quality Joystick SuperStar SV-131 (1992)
[ Show youtube player ]
I have two and it's one of my fav joysticks. It's just very comfy to use and moderately accurate, which means it's a good all-rounder. Depending on the game you might need accurate sticks and sometimes you need "smoother" sticks. This one works well for almost every game.

Quote:
Competition Pros though, I really don't like them.. Unless I've just been unlucky, they've all been SO DAMN STIFF, jeez.
Same here. Bought one because of all the hype and it's just a very mediocre joystick.
Old 15 May 2022, 02:47   #135
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I can only offer my opinion on I find to be the best modern stick.

I've tried the Arcade R and I must confess to absolutely loving the feel and look of them. The only issue I've had has been in inconsistency of direction. A Vintage Zipstick or Competition Pro was my joystick of choice back1993 I was never missing directions like I do with these Sanwa joysticks. A game like Way of the exploding first for example where directional moves are essential, it's here I'm simply not able to guarantee a moves like I could on the older sticks. I've got two of the Arcade R and they're both the same in terms of inconsistency. This sort of statement is sure to attract the usual but I can hit directions just fine statements and yes I can too if focusing my efforts into trying to but the reality is you didn't even have to think about this sort of thing back then. The opportunity of a miss direction is more with the Arcade R because it happens often despite my several months use, certainly coming from my using a good working flawless Zipstick it's noticeably worse which is a shame considering how lovely it is

The best joystick I've found that offers an almost same tight accurate experience of old is this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184896038...Cclp%3A2508447

note this isn't the loud and stiff remake version of old but a new device. Slick

I really do recommend buying this one over one of the more fancy looking Arcade R because while they are both quite similar in how they feel so nice, this thing is precise in a way I just don't get with the Arcade R which is a shame considering how gorgeous they look. This ebay guy has both 9pin and usb. Bear in mind this isn't the horribly stiff and loud Competition Pro remake of years ago. It has a very smooth effortless feel

Last edited by Adropac2; 15 May 2022 at 03:00.
Old 15 May 2022, 03:09   #136
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
I can only offer my opinion on I find to be the best modern stick.

I've tried the Arcade R and I must confess to absolutely loving the feel and look of them. The only issue I've had has been in inconsistency of direction.
I’d be saying the same thing if I hadn’t replaced the restrictor plate. The default round one in the ArcadeR is a VERY weird/bad choice imo. The diagonals are horrid, it’s possible to make it do “creaky” things... But it’s very easily replaceable with whichever type you like most. I have square restrictors and octagonal ones in mine and you never miss directions, particularly with the 8-way, which is perfect for fighting games etc. (though I like how 4 way ones can be set to diamond or box orientation!)
Old 15 May 2022, 03:45   #137
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
I’d be saying the same thing if I hadn’t replaced the restrictor plate. The default round one in the ArcadeR is a VERY weird/bad choice imo. The diagonals are horrid, it’s possible to make it do “creaky” things... But it’s very easily replaceable with whichever type you like most. I have square restrictors and octagonal ones in mine and you never miss directions, particularly with the 8-way, which is perfect for fighting games etc. (though I like how 4 way ones can be set to diamond or box orientation!)
I have a restrictor on mine that indents at the diagonal and same issue. It does physical stop it I guess if you're running it across the direction but if you're stabbing the direction quickly you still meet the direction you've actually pushed regardless. You are a far more accurate player than I shall ever be if you can 100% manage it on the Arcade R and I consider myself very experienced at joystick use from the my considerable time with them

For those experiencing similar problems as mine I would recommend the other joystick. It features JoyMech which is why it feels the way it does I guess
Old 15 May 2022, 06:57   #138
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
I have a restrictor on mine that indents at the diagonal and same issue.
Interesting.. Mine “feels” like it actuates on contact with an octagonal gate? I guess that has less travel than the square ones. You can widen the base of the stick with (they recommend) heat shrink plastic, which could benefit anyone having travel issues, but I like the amount.. (I’ve only used the square restrictor sticks on platformers tbh, I actually have 4 arcadeRs to test a 4 player game I’m occasionally working on, lol!) Anyone wondering what all this talk of restrictors and actuators is actually talking about, this is pretty nice explainer

This was supposed to be a worst stick discussion though, hehe, I’m surprised how much hate the Bug is getting, I wanted one of those sooo badly as a kid, maybe I dodged a bullet.

One pretty terrible stick I had for the Amiga is this dumb Gravis Analogue stick, I was so pumped to get it until I realised hardly anything supported analogue input, and even the stuff that did ran slowly enough that analogue wasn’t really helpful.
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B87DE5E-BAD2-45AE-AD2F-138041BB32AC.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	75582
Old 15 May 2022, 19:24   #139
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Interesting..
I may have another look into it but was swapping the restrictor was one of the first things I did and while it felt nice for the majority of stuff, I struggled with other games like Way of Exploding Fist or isometric games where the game direction is diagonally set. Shooters and platformers tend to get away with it more and something like Boulderdash is less prone but just a direction itself lie right I might slip into the down and right. It could just be that my hands aren't very good. Who knows

It's far from a crap joystick but one I personally experience some issue with
Old 16 May 2022, 17:08   #140
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I can't find the one I would nominate. I'm pretty sure it was a Thrustmaster thing and it must have been around 96/97. It wasn't a typical stick, it was this gyroscopic monstrosity that you would hold with two hands and it could move in all axis. Would be nice for games such as X-Wing, Terminal Velocity and Decent I thought at the time, I was really into flying shooters and such.

Yeah. The installer crashed and it came with presets for maybe a hundred games... never managed to actually use it with any game though. About a week later, it went in the bin.

EDIT: oh I found it! It was the "frag master". Even the name screams "do not buy".

https://retrovolve.com/the-thrustmas...ed-in-the-90s/

Last edited by gimbal; 16 May 2022 at 17:59.