English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 19 June 2008, 20:05   #1
Marcuz

the zone database?

this is just an idea that ame to me reading a post this evening and i have not given much thought to it, more a curiosity than else.

while the files in the zone get pruned after 7 days, does ir remain trace of them in the database of EAB, even only to the admin?
if that would be the case, after it would have be cleaned of the odd copyrighted file that has stumbled inside during the years, it could be made public, maybe yearly, to spot the non tosec gems that have maybe been lost to the leechers and hoarders?
Old 19 June 2008, 21:47   #2
RCK
Administrator

Those files are not stored on the server, they are really pruned because it's a temporary file share, and I don't want any problem to store them, nor fill our hard-drive with mp3
Old 19 June 2008, 21:59   #3
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

I think what marco suggested was to just keep a list of files that weren't manually deleted.

An interesting extension of this (albeit maybe more work than it's worth) would be to keep track of who downloaded which file as well and have a "request re-upload" button next to each file in said history. That button would then send a PM to everyone who previously downloaded the file, as well as the original uploader (without exposing the list of recipients to the public of course).

Many BitTorrent trackers have features of this sort and it can be quite useful.
Old 19 June 2008, 23:18   #4
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Those files are not stored on the server
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
I think what marco suggested was to just keep a list of files that weren't manually deleted.
exactly, just the names, not the files

your suggestion is cool too, but it has a privacy side to consider. and there are files however that are deleted by mods or that are not legit to be shared that would need to be manually edited off from the database anyway.

some number...
let's say a rough 50 files in the zone per week, EAB being 7 years old, and taking in account that not so many files were shared the starting years...
about 15000 records? that's huge to be manually checked, on second thought... :/

Last edited by Marcuz; 19 June 2008 at 23:23.
Old 19 June 2008, 23:23   #5
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

I suppose "re-upload request" notification could always be made opt-in only. But I think it's no big deal storing such logs on the server only (without ever showing them to any users or even moderators), I mean, private messages are also stored on the server and you just have to trust your friendly admin.
Old 19 June 2008, 23:29   #6
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
I mean, private messages are also stored on the server and you just have to trust your friendly admin.
i do, sorry i expressed myself badly: by privacy side, i mean that as there are files that are recursively asked evry once in a while, people who has uploaded in the first place would receive the same requests with no end. and what if the same file was posted by different persons? would be requested to all of them?
it's a little hassle, really, but still, it's unfriendly: who has not received already newbies' PMs asking for this or that file? even copyrighted ones?
Old 19 June 2008, 23:32   #7
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Ah yes, good point, but files could be matched by checksum to make sure identical files don't result in several notifications. It's not a huge disturbance on BT sites, but on the other hand that's because it only needs to be used to request re-seeding when files actually have stopped being seeded, which might never happen while there's interest in any given file and definitely will take longer than 7 days on average.