English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 November 2020, 21:01   #1
Liam Hallows

Amiga 1200 problems, displaying only scanlines over a black image

My amiga doesn't seem to be displaying even the kickstart menu, it only displays scanlines over a black display.

Does anyone what might be wrong?

Essentially there's no floppy drive attached(does the amiga have to have a floppy drive attached? I am a noob when it comes to amigas so I have no idea) and I've swapped out the kickstart roms from 3.0-3.1. I have swapped them back over from 3.1 to 3.0 and still having the same issue. I also replaced the hdd with a compact flash card.

If any one could give me some advice then that would be great thank you,

In addition, I do have a second amiga which I have only just started to break open and see what's inside, now this one does go to the 3.0 kickstart menu but when I tried to replace that hard drive(811.3MB apparently, isn't that alot for an amiga 1200? lol) with the cf card I had prepared and it doesn't recognise any card attached or hard drive.

The main thing of note for the second amiga is that the ide harddrive connector on the motherboard had an adapter connected to it for a cd drive(which was connected to that adapter board along with the harddrive). I did try to remove the adapter board but I still got the same result.

If there any ideas on resolving this issue too than that too would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Liam Hallows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201122_183629[1].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	882.1 KB
ID:	69786  
Old 22 November 2020, 21:03   #2
lesta_smsc

The lines could be unrelated to the grey screen issue and as a result of the RGB port having some leakage and maybe capacitors needing replacing.

The other thing to say is some RGB to VGA adaptor which you seem to be using as running on Dell monitor, can also give vertical bands. Test it on TV and see if you get the same display.
Old 22 November 2020, 23:30   #3
Liam Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
The lines could be unrelated to the grey screen issue and as a result of the RGB port having some leakage and maybe capacitors needing replacing.

The other thing to say is some RGB to VGA adaptor which you seem to be using as running on Dell monitor, can also give vertical bands. Test it on TV and see if you get the same display.
Ok thank you for your reply. I'll see about replacing the capacitors as tbh they need replacing anyways I think. Also I am using a RGB to VGA Adapter which makes sense for the scan lines but I guess my actual problem is more the fact I am not getting anything to display. I actually tried it on my parents TV before heading to uni using the amiga Scandex(RGB-VGA) and composite but still had the same result.
Old 28 November 2020, 09:47   #4
whitebird

To insure it's not a deeper IC related issue, what happens when you insert a game floppy? Does it load? Are you able to see some changes in the display, even if still vertical black lines or do they remain steady