English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 March 2002, 22:01   #1
backtoskooldaze

Happy Want to put a1200 in a big box?????

I know this may sound bizarre but can i strip an a1200 from it's case and put it into a tower then use my upgrades as normal like blizzard1230IV extra memroy simm and a 40mhz fpu processor all on the same board.I can not see a problem for the blizzard board as this would attach as normal but if i wanted to attach other devices such as zorro slots would this be possible.But if the zorro boards and suck like are not possible the a1200 would look nice in a tower instead of the flat white case?(don't you think) and then if you buy the amigaone in a nice white case you can connect the two as described in eyetechs review then you can say you have a good network

I do build pc's but have just got back into amiga as i have always like the machine and it's good that i can intergrate the pc and amiga via cables to use the both (you can have the best of two worlds now):laugh

Anyway my last speech LONG LIVE AMIGA WHATEVER HAPPENS IN THE FUTURE!
Old 01 April 2002, 23:22   #2
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I have built 2 custom 1200 towers with PC atx cases m8!

mail me if you wanna know what i did
Old 02 April 2002, 06:03   #3
jmmijo

There are some commercial towers available as well, this is one of them:

http://www.elbox.com/products/e_box_1200.html
Old 06 April 2002, 05:59   #4
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroBlaster
I have built 2 custom 1200 towers with PC atx cases m8!

mail me if you wanna know what i did
Tell us
Old 26 April 2002, 21:08   #5
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Cool lol

I ripped up my A1200 and put it in a case with a CDRom, HD and Accelorator when I was just 10, and with absolutely no help from anyone else (as they all knew less than me in my family ).

So dont tell me you cant do it yourself :

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.
Old 27 April 2002, 03:16   #6
backtoskooldaze

Wink Thanx!

Cheers M8 i know i can do it just wondered whether there was any point in doing so.
Old 30 April 2002, 23:24   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

So would it be possible to shove your Miggy 1200 inside the same case as your PC and share the keyboard, mouse and whatever else? Now that would be impressive.
Old 30 April 2002, 23:35   #8
jmmijo

Sure anything is possible, the problem is the space, you would need a wide case to be able to put both systems into one case and of course you would need a separate power supply for the 1200 or you could use the existing power supply and place it internally to the case as well. Of course be sure to put in extra cooling fans as well
Old 01 May 2002, 20:11   #9
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I was browsing eBay last night and found this adapter: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2020570886 which allows you to use a PC PSU with your Amiga so there's one option.

I don't suppose you'd want to be running both the PC and the Amiga at the same time though since you'd need a separate screen for your Amiga considering how bad the picture is using a PCTV card. Hmm, thought provoking though.

While we're on the subject what's the difference between Amiga and PC hard drives and RAM? Would you be able to share those somehow?
Old 01 May 2002, 20:22   #10
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Echostryker
While we're on the subject what's the difference between Amiga and PC hard drives and RAM? Would you be able to share those somehow?
You could possibly share the HD as they are eseentially the same, IDE is IDE except for the speed of the drive and the UDMA interface could be ATA16 thru UDMA133. You would also need a special interface to connect both the PC and Amiga to the same drive but hey, these parts are so cheap why do this. The same for the RAM, but this could be tricky, I really can't see a special interface for this as it would have to be buffered for timing reasons and again this is so cheap keep it separate. You could also have many different RAM types for the Amiga side, for instance DIP or ZIP ram which is really hard to find now as opposed to 72 pin SIMM's or 168/184 pin SDRAM/DDR SDRAM.
Old 01 May 2002, 20:23   #11
oldpx

What do they mean by "PC PSU"? Right now I've been using an AT pc PSU with my amiga and I am told that modern ATX PSUs cannot be used.

Old 01 May 2002, 20:29   #12
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
What do they mean by "PC PSU"? Right now I've been using an AT pc PSU with my amiga and I am told that modern ATX PSUs cannot be used.
Not quite correct, you can connect ATX power supplys too, you just have to short the PS_ON pin to ground to get it to come on or you could wire a standard switch to do this as well, not the ones that come with ATX cases however as these are momentary switches and will not work properly for this kind of application.
Old 01 May 2002, 20:34   #13
oldpx

Good to hear that, it just couldn't be impossible