English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 April 2019, 19:27   #1
Foebane
Banned

Any known issues with dragging and dropping archives into WinUAE?

WinUAE allows the dragging and dropping of archive files into the emulation environment (usually Workbench) which show up as hard drives that can be accessed like any other hard drive, whether it is an HDF or a Windows folder.

However, I've noticed some kind of bug when I've dragged an archive into WinUAE, which takes a while to show up, and even sometimes, a random file from the archive appears as a second drive. What's more, when I reset the Amiga, the random file remains and tries to run instead of booting WB as normal. It doesn't go away until I restart WinUAE.

I don't know if this is a known issue, but I have difficulty recreating it on demand, so providing logs is difficult. It last appeared when I had two Windows folders as hard drives with around 100 files each, and dragged in a third.

When it works fine, it is an extremely useful ability for an emulator, and it makes things easier, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had odd behaviour with such activity, as I've described.
Old 03 April 2019, 20:31   #2
DamienD
Banned

I swear you asked an extremely similar question; and received an answer; in another one of your WinUAE support threads that you created Foebane...

Too lazy to search though.
Old 03 April 2019, 20:54   #3
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I swear you asked an extremely similar question; and received an answer; in another one of your WinUAE support threads that you created Foebane...

I'm certain this is the first time I've asked this particular question, I wouldn't have asked if I thought I posted it before.
Old 03 April 2019, 22:55   #4
Foebane
Banned

I recreated the error, and it turns out that my configuration used an empty Windows folder for a hard drive (which wasn't empty before) and it didn't show up on WB upon reboot. When I dragged an archive into the WB, the problems as I described them above, occurred.

I simply removed the empty hard drive from the configuration and all is now well.
Old 03 April 2019, 23:09   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
which takes a while to show up, and even sometimes,
This happens when you drag a large archive that includes many files.

Quote:
What's more, when I reset the Amiga, the random file remains and tries to run instead of booting WB as normal.
This happens when in the archives there are executables or drag executables or library that are loaded as floppies, to prevent them from starting you have to eject them from the floppy drive

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 April 2019 at 23:16.
Old 04 April 2019, 09:58   #6
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
This happens when you drag a large archive that includes many files.
This must be what DamienD was talking about. Yes, I did start a thread a month or so ago about trying to use very large archives in configurations, but that was not drag'n'drop, and the problems I've had here have happened with small archives as well.
Old 04 April 2019, 10:17   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes in the most recent versions of WinUAE I also noticed a slowdown with large archives. Instead of dragging the single Archives, I copy them into a folder and share this folder, then unpack the side AmigaOS archives.
I also created shortcuts to unmount the shared folder to eject floppy disks and CDs without the need to go to the GUI with F12.
Old 04 April 2019, 10:35   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Quote:
I'm certain this is the first time I've asked this particular question, I wouldn't have asked if I thought I posted it before.
Quote:
This must be what DamienD was talking about. Yes, I did start a thread a month or so ago about trying to use very large archives in configurations, but that was not drag'n'drop, and the problems I've had here have happened with small archives as well.
Issue with large archive HDD causes WinUAE to lock itself and Windows up
Old 04 April 2019, 11:10   #9
Foebane
Banned

Yes, that was it. This time, however, there was no lock up, just strange behaviour (I thought) from WB.