English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 28 July 2022, 23:53   #1
Flimbo

CD32 Terrible Fire Game Compatibility

I have heard that some of the original CD32 games have issues or don't work with the terrible fire (tf330) card. Does anybody know if these problematic games have been fixed by the community?
Old 29 July 2022, 11:25   #2
str0m

I found a lot didn't work on one of those CF images with a large whdload setup. I had better success when I binned off the CF card and got one of those IDE to SD adapters but still not perfect. Could be my CD32. I now use an image that I think Earok made with a couple of hundred games on and most of them work perfectly. I don't have it setup on a desk so the common workbench image I mentioned first didn't really work for me anyway as no mouse etc

Any problems are probably 030 related and not due to the TF330 itself so there are no doubt updates out there which you could get yourself and update an image
Old 29 July 2022, 13:58   #3
Flimbo

Cheers for answering this. Thinking of adding an accelerator to either my cd32 or 1200 and it appears we have a lot more affordable (ish) options for both these days. Thing is my cd32 is already with a repair shop so I could get it upgraded if it's repaired. This compatibility issue is the biggest concern because I had planned to collect the games for this system.
Old 29 July 2022, 15:45   #4
str0m

If you are going to collect originals then they won't be patched. Most will probably run fine with an 030. My TF330 has a jumper switch hanging out the back so I can fully disable it, this does mean you lose the ram though.

If you aren't concerned with CPU speed you could get a TF328 which is just fast ram and that will be much more comptabile whilst still offering a speed boost.
Old 29 July 2022, 17:02   #5
Flimbo

I hoped that I could burn an ISO with the patched game for each incompatible game and retain that consolised experience.
Old 29 July 2022, 17:06   #6
str0m

No real need if you have a TF330. The Earok image I have boots straight to a menu with 100+ games and they run from there (except a couple) selecting using the joypad, no need to swap discs, quicker loading etc.
Old 29 July 2022, 18:20   #7
Flimbo

And do these games have the CD32 audio? Might seem like a daft question, but I am sure I had read somewhere that the games worked but without the CD32 audio.

Pretty certain that was a daft question ha ha.
Old 29 July 2022, 18:43   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

Personal promotion: (lol)

to run whdload games you could also run CD32load compilations.

for CD32 games with audio there's https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94158

(plus commercial Jim Power CD32 version)

I have a TF328 and I experienced crashes with some whdload games. I suspect that this board isn't near as stable as official accelerators. But it's still a very good board.
Old 29 July 2022, 19:15   #9
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

The TF330 disable jumper doesn't work for now. It's not fixed.It needs a firmware update.

There are two firmware usable for the TF330 for now. One called Burst (V2) wich is for best performance but breaks the nvram compatibility (can't save game with original CD Games) and the second one called V3 wich has a little less performance but is compatible with nvram & original CDs

I think most of the sellers are using the V3 now, but you have to ask the seller to be sure, because changing firmware is not really easy
Old 01 August 2022, 18:22   #10
Flimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Personal promotion: (lol)

to run whdload games you could also run CD32load compilations.

for CD32 games with audio there's https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94158

(plus commercial Jim Power CD32 version)

I have a TF328 and I experienced crashes with some whdload games. I suspect that this board isn't near as stable as official accelerators. But it's still a very good board.
I have bookmarked this page, appreciate the self promotion in this instance ha ha. That's some fine looking work you have done for the community there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
The TF330 disable jumper doesn't work for now. It's not fixed.It needs a firmware update.

There are two firmware usable for the TF330 for now. One called Burst (V2) wich is for best performance but breaks the nvram compatibility (can't save game with original CD Games) and the second one called V3 wich has a little less performance but is compatible with nvram & original CDs

I think most of the sellers are using the V3 now, but you have to ask the seller to be sure, because changing firmware is not really easy
This is great advice, thank you.