English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 March 2002, 17:23   #1
Pfloyd

Question Can't save configurations properly

Hello everybody,

When I save a configuration with the option "Fast copper" (on the chipset tab) disabled, the option is enabled when I load this configuration again.

If I configure the chipset to "ECS Agnus" or "ECS Denise", it is always changed to "Full ECS" on reload.

What's wrong?
Old 13 March 2002, 17:45   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I've seen Bernd replying to a similar report on the UAE discussion board by indicating that this is by design. The "fast copper" option, if it was 100% accurate, should never need to be disabled. The option was provided in order to allow people to try problem games with it disabled in order to see if that made a difference. What Bernd apparently wants from this is for people who find specific titles that won't run with it enabled to report the specifics so that he can use that to debug the fast copper code. Once it works 100%, the intention is to remove the option from the GUI. If you can save the option, then it's a lot less likely that he'll ever hear from people about what games don't work with it turned on.

So far, it appears that this approach hasn't helped him much though. I've seen a number of people complain that "lots" of games won't work if it is turned on, but I've yet to see one person give any detail that would be useful in debugging. Hopefully he has gotten at least a few such reports though, and can use those to fix whatever problems exist.
Old 14 March 2002, 08:26   #3
Pfloyd

This is a strange method to force some feedback If it's configurable, the setting should be saved. "Fast copper" emulation doesn't work properly under certain circumstances. I get distorted graphics (partially shifting to the left) when the color registers are accessed directly (for example during HQC-decrunching process).

No one tried to save "ECS Agnus" / "ECS Denise" configurations so far?

If all these settings were properly saved, it would be much easier for me to discover and investigate real emulation bugs.

Can anyone confirm this GUI bug:
If you save a configuration with a selected cartridge ROM (i.e. Action Replay), you cannot remove the cartridge ROM later from configuration. You have to edit the configuration file directly. Don't tell me this is by design
Old 14 March 2002, 16:16   #4
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I agree that this is a somewhat heavy handed way to try to force feedback, but I assume that's probably the result of frustration in getting anybody to actually tell him anything specific. I saw a thread on the UAE discussion board once where try as he might, the best he could get out of anybody was that "tons" of games don't work with it enabled. That has to be maddening when all you want is a reproducible case that will fail so that you can fix the problems. Lots of people are willing to complain loudly that the emulation isn't perfect, but too few seem to be willing to help provide information that would help to make it so.

As for the GUI bug you mentioned, I'd have to agree that this would have to be called a "bug". Fortunately, this one ought to be a snap to reproduce, so I'd think it would be fixed quickly once Toni has become aware of it.
Old 14 March 2002, 22:21   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile HE'S RIGHT!

Quote:
If it's configurable, the setting should be saved. "Fast copper" emulation doesn't work properly under certain circumstances. I get distorted graphics (partially shifting to the left) when the color registers are accessed directly (for example during HQC-decrunching process).
Correct! It took me ages to find a game that requires Fast Copper to be turned off, and now I've finally found one!
I uploaded a game that MUST have Fast Copper off, otherwise there'll be a graphical chaos.
Nice shoot'em up, btw.
Gainforce (c) 1991 Infernal Byte Systems.
Old 14 March 2002, 22:31   #6
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I hope you've passed the info on this to Bernd and/or Toni so that they have a reproducible test case that fails. If they get fast copper working 100% based on info like this and then remove the option to toggle it on and off afterward, from my point of view that's one less variable I have to contend with when I'm trying to figure out what settings I need to use to run any specific game.
Old 14 March 2002, 22:47   #7
Pfloyd

Hey,

it's the same error. At least one bitplane ist shifted to the left.
I took a screenshot... See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fast-copper-gainforce.png
Views:	379
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	2030  
Old 15 March 2002, 00:07   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
yes, and switch that thing off and the game works like a dream