English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 September 2008, 00:57   #1
pepzi

Broadcasting Teletext, possible?

I've always liked Teletext, and wanted to play with it myself. I know there are schematics on Teletext decoders along with software to show/save the pages, but how about broadcasting it from an Amiga to a TV?

I've heard rumors that Digital Illusions was planning to use Teletext on the CD32. I have no idea if it is true though (or if they actually did it). I know though that my local TV-station used Amiga's, and they had Teletext that I loved reading and posting messages on, back in the days

Since Teletext is simply data sent during VBlank, I have a hard time understanding why it wouldn't be possible to write an Assembly-program that encodes and transmits the pages during VBlank... This question has been bugging me for the last 12 years or so. A "No, it is NOT possible!" would be better than nothing, but I'd also like to hear why in that case

So, what do you guys think?

Old 22 September 2008, 09:09   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Interesting idea, I guess it can work, at least in theory..

Possible problems:

1) teletext bit length is 111ns which is not possible with standard Amiga hardware. Superhires could work, maybe. (3x35ns = 105ns, I have no idea what kind of timing teletext decoders expect..)

2) teletext data lines are blanked by default. Need custom vblank timing settings. (this should be easily solved)
Old 22 September 2008, 23:21   #3
Cammy

I am pretty sure some of the Amiga digitisers allow you to pick up Teletext with your Amiga. I think the ProVision works, perhaps one of those would be worth picking up on eBay (they're pretty good for digitising too).