English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 29 March 2008, 10:34   #1
MethodGit

Is there a way to run a game with quitkey disabled?

Title says it all really.
Old 29 March 2008, 10:56   #2
Graham Humphrey

Just out of interest why do you want to do that? You could try setting the NoVBRMove tooltype as that's supposed to disable it though I've never tried it myself.
Old 29 March 2008, 11:00   #3
MethodGit

I'm trying to make a PSPUAE savestate thingy where save it just before it's supposed to start, like with the many savestates they have for download.

I've tried some of their savestates and I'm led to believe they've disabled the quitkey on many of them, so there must be a way haha. Wouldn't NoVBRMove affect the gameplay somehow though?
Old 29 March 2008, 12:19   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Why not just set a tooltype for quitkey to a value that doesn't exist?
Old 29 March 2008, 14:16   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
I'm trying to make a PSPUAE savestate thingy where save it just before it's supposed to start, like with the many savestates they have for download.

I've tried some of their savestates and I'm led to believe they've disabled the quitkey on many of them, so there must be a way haha. Wouldn't NoVBRMove affect the gameplay somehow though?

i dont know why you dont ask about this on www.pspuae.com - where the people who make them (like myself) could answer you much quicker.

most dont have quitkeys because the configs are set to 68000 . This is why on occasion i've request slave updates that -do- support 68000 quitkeys, as this allows for multiple games on one save-state with a GUI to link them.

NOVBRMOVE is what i would also use if i was wanting to deliberately disable the quitkey... and no, why would that affect gameplay?

I hope you are planning on submitting any save-states you make to the site, and not just keeping them to yourself
Old 29 March 2008, 18:46   #6
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
NOVBRMOVE is what i would also use if i was wanting to deliberately disable the quitkey... and no, why would that affect gameplay?
Sorry, I just thought moving vector tables would affect something in the game you're playing somehow. I'm not very knowledgeable on how everything works.

Quote:
I hope you are planning on submitting any save-states you make to the site, and not just keeping them to yourself
Well I do wish to contribute Pang to your site if all goes well. I just have to spend time working out the best configuration for the game as I don't wish to give people a package that'll only end up working like crap on their side...
Old 29 March 2008, 19:02   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

yuo will probably find this post of interest:

http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/...0.html#msg5540
Old 29 March 2008, 19:25   #8
MethodGit

Thanks for that. A couple of questions though....

1) Why specifically Kick 3.0? Am I supposed to use this even with KS1.3-era games that consist of data files and are quite runnable without WHDLoad?
2) Are you sure OCS and KS3.0 go together well? What about ECS?
Old 29 March 2008, 19:36   #9
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

1) the kickstart 3.0 option is to make it as easy as possible for all the site users. Since all whdload games work with it, and there are far less "pitfalls" with regards to working kickstart 3.1 roms, (there has been confusion with different people using different kick3.1 roms previously) it was decided this was the best option for all.

if you are using an original kickstart 1.3 game, with its own HD installer (non-whd) - then yes, use kick1.3 - it is mentioned in the guide on the front page that all the states use either of these two roms. (since kick 1.3 is a requirement of running the emulator, all users only need to obtain the kick3.0 rom)...... mostly however, if the game is small enough i use whdload anyway, rather than original installs. I like the extra stabilty / functions / fixes etc that it offers, and the safe knowledge that compared to crack versions for 1.3 HD, it will be well tested and very likely bug-free.

2) kick 3.0 and OCS go together fine.... look at all the games we've already installed!!

use ECS only if you have to to make the game run. OCS is generally used since the PSPUAE auto-zoom option does not work with ECS. I've yet to actually find any game requiring ECS as well.