English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 December 2022, 16:07   #981
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Recently I've found about the NuXT - https://monotech.fwscart.com/NuXT_v2..._19777986.aspx

It's much cheaper than MiSTer or Apollo V4+, and you can experience real XT power on SVGA display. And new modern technology like Compact Flash, so no more magnetic media or error prone HDD.

For sub 400 € (Including shipping) it's a steal.
Looks expensive for a setup that still has a fair bit of incompatibility according to LGR's video review. And the software for PC's of the period looks very uninspiring...
Old 12 December 2022, 14:25   #982
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Recently I've found about the NuXT - https://monotech.fwscart.com/NuXT_v2..._19777986.aspx

It's much cheaper than MiSTer or Apollo V4+, and you can experience real XT power on SVGA display. And new modern technology like Compact Flash, so no more magnetic media or error prone HDD.

For sub 400 € (Including shipping) it's a steal.

WTH are you talking about? My MiSTer setup was less than 200 USD. Not sure what is current price, but I can't imagine it being over 320 euros?!

100USD RPi400 is still better option than NuXT. NuXT is just a waste of money and talent...

Speaking of Raspberry Pi - some good news... https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ra...levels-in-2023

Last edited by Anubis; 12 December 2022 at 14:48.
Old 12 December 2022, 15:05   #983
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Looks expensive for a setup that still has a fair bit of incompatibility according to LGR's video review. And the software for PC's of the period looks very uninspiring...
The original IBM-PC was incompatible with itself. That comes with the open architecture. You can have Intel CPU, but also NEC CPU, which is less compatible. Then you can have different graphics adapters and so, on. Not like the Amiga, manufactured by Commodore, where the A500 with 512 KB RAM extension (1 MB total) was the norm.
Old 13 December 2022, 15:43   #984
Bruce Abbott

Got my 486 today. Turns out the reason it didn't work was that the CMOS battery had leaked over the motherboard and destroyed several tracks around the keyboard area, as well as running up the leads of the keyboard chip and a few others. I won't even try to repair it. But the machine has lots of parts worth harvesting:-

- Panasonic JU-257A 3.5" floppy drive, which can easily be modified to work in the Amiga.

- Panasonic 1.2MB 5.25" drive. Might try hooking that up to the Amiga too!

- A nice looking Conner 425MB IDE hard drive. Wonder what's on it?

- 4 x 1MB 30 pins SIMMs which will go into my 386SX, and 2 x 4MB 60ns 72 pin SIMMs which might work in an A1200 RAM board or accelerator card.

- ESS Audiodrive 16 bit sound card with onboard speaker amp and IDE port for CDROM.

- Panasonic CR-562B double-speed CDROM drive, dated 1994. Hope it works!

- Low profile multi-IO board with everything on it

- Trident 16 bit ISA bus VGA card with 1MB of 256kx4 DIP DRAM chips in sockets. Could use 4 of them to upgrade my Rev 6 A500 motherboard to 1MB ChipRAM, and still have a usable VGA card!

The motherboard is toast, but I will harvest the SIMM sockets, ISA and VL bus sockets, 8 x 32kx8 20ns CMOS static RAM chips, various other TTL chips and jumper blocks etc. Plenty of stuff to unsolder with my heat gun...

The PSU is a standard 200W AT unit with the correct plugs for my 386SX motherboard (no ATX adapter needed) and a real power switch. Finally, the mini-tower case has a turbo button and LED frequency display.

All this brings back memories of the PCs I used to build and sell back in the day. Retro heaven!
Old 21 December 2022, 22:05   #985
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Got my 486 today. Turns out the reason it didn't work was that the CMOS battery had leaked over the motherboard and destroyed several tracks around the keyboard area, as well as running up the leads of the keyboard chip and a few others. I won't even try to repair it. But the machine has lots of parts worth harvesting:-

- Panasonic JU-257A 3.5" floppy drive, which can easily be modified to work in the Amiga.

- Panasonic 1.2MB 5.25" drive. Might try hooking that up to the Amiga too!

- A nice looking Conner 425MB IDE hard drive. Wonder what's on it?

- 4 x 1MB 30 pins SIMMs which will go into my 386SX, and 2 x 4MB 60ns 72 pin SIMMs which might work in an A1200 RAM board or accelerator card.

- ESS Audiodrive 16 bit sound card with onboard speaker amp and IDE port for CDROM.

- Panasonic CR-562B double-speed CDROM drive, dated 1994. Hope it works!

- Low profile multi-IO board with everything on it

- Trident 16 bit ISA bus VGA card with 1MB of 256kx4 DIP DRAM chips in sockets. Could use 4 of them to upgrade my Rev 6 A500 motherboard to 1MB ChipRAM, and still have a usable VGA card!

The motherboard is toast, but I will harvest the SIMM sockets, ISA and VL bus sockets, 8 x 32kx8 20ns CMOS static RAM chips, various other TTL chips and jumper blocks etc. Plenty of stuff to unsolder with my heat gun...

The PSU is a standard 200W AT unit with the correct plugs for my 386SX motherboard (no ATX adapter needed) and a real power switch. Finally, the mini-tower case has a turbo button and LED frequency display.

All this brings back memories of the PCs I used to build and sell back in the day. Retro heaven!
Nice machine! Shame about the motherboard

I've got hold of a Windows XP Pentium 4 PC that hadn't been turned on for 14 years! All in working order and welcomed by MSN Messenger lol.

Also has a 3.25" floppy drive, Pioneer DVD-RW, Lite-on CD-RW, Ge-Force MX 440, Matrox RT.X100 capture card, Mercury TV tuner card, PCI soundcard with MIDI interface and true MSDOS compatibility (C-Media CMI8738 PCI Sound Card)!

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 23 December 2022 at 22:04.