English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 09 December 2011, 15:32   #1
sack

Safe areas for screen display

I'm not sure if this 100% qualifies as a coding question, but seeing as it's related to what I'm coding...

I have a standard 320x256 screen setup and using winUAE I knocked up a quick screen layout with a logo at the top, framebuffer flipping in the middle (not decided what to do with it yet), and a 16 line-high scrolltext at the bottom. in winUAE it looks okay - everything is where I'd expect it to be.

I just tried it on the A1200 I have here (connected to an old 14" TV through composite) and I'm seeing none of the scrolltext whatsoever. I can pull the wait out of my copperlist and pull the scroller up the screen and it's definitely there, I think it's just getting lost in the overscan.

Problem is I only have this one TV to try things out on really, but I want a screen layout where everything is reliably visible on a PAL Amiga.

So what are the safe areas that are reliably visible for a 320x256 screen?
Old 11 December 2011, 23:11   #2
KevG
Banned

The eleventh commandment....

' Thou shalt not develope stuff in an emulator. Use a real Amiga. '

Bless you.
Old 12 December 2011, 20:12   #3
sack

Well I was waiting for my 4GB CF and mouse to turn up. I've also found out that my startup/shutdown code needs some work.

Oh well... back to trawling the tutorial forums I go
Old 12 December 2011, 20:27   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Use of real Amiga won't help in this problem if you use LCD TV or a scandoubler.

Old CRT TVs can have really bad overscan today because adjustments have drifted, capacitors dried etc. (Not that it wasn't much better originally..)
Old 12 December 2011, 23:19   #5
sack

Nailed it now - the copper wait for the end of the NTSC area was wrong, but still allowed in winUAE. D'oh!

dc.w $ffdf,$fffe is the value I should've had. Looks like there's a broken tutorial out there someplace, but I can't remember which one I used now...

Now I can just pull things up a few lines until it seems to sit right on the screen
Old 18 December 2011, 15:43   #6
absence

The safe areas of television are defined in the PAL and NTSC standards. I don't have the numbers in my head, but they're probably available online somewhere. Vertically you just count lines, but horizontally you have to calculate safe left and right using the pixel clock.