English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 January 2007, 16:01   #1
Hideki
Hoopy Frood

Send a message via ICQ to Hideki Send a message via AIM to Hideki Send a message via MSN to Hideki Send a message via Yahoo to Hideki
Chip memory, VGA output, IPF writing

Hihi

Three questions here:

Is there any way I can add more chip memory to my 2MB A1200 (for example to take it to 4MB), I recall you could do something of that sort with the 520STFM by piggybacking the chips and adding a bit of address decoding presumably (never tried it), not sure about the A1200

I have acquired a multisync VGA monitor that can do the TV like 15KHz modes and also 640x400 -> 1024x768, however it has a VGA connector and my A1200 has a 23 pin commodore connector, is it a case of making a simple adapter (and if so, does anyone have the pinout) or is there some electronics involved?

IPF files, how do I go about writing those to disk? I've managed to convert a few to ADF files but many of them have errors when I attempt that (Pinball dreams for example which I particularly want working) and I don't have the memory to install from IPF directly with WHDLoad.. (also it seems many of the whdload installers don't support installing from anything other than physical disks...)

Thanks

--
Adam
Old 08 January 2007, 16:33   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki
Is there any way I can add more chip memory to my 2MB A1200
No.
Quote:
I have acquired a multisync VGA monitor that can do the TV like 15KHz modes and also 640x400 -> 1024x768, however it has a VGA connector and my A1200 has a 23 pin commodore connector, is it a case of making a simple adapter
Yes.
Quote:
IPF files, how do I go about writing those to disk?
AFAIK, Ipfs are not meant to be written back to disk. You can use WINUAE with IPFs to install stuff, then memory shouldn't be an issue.
Old 08 January 2007, 17:20   #3
keropi

amigakit.com has for sale those rgb-vga adaptors.... here is the link:
Amiga RGB to VGA Monitor Adapter
Old 08 January 2007, 17:29   #4
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

There was also an official Commodore one (came with A4000), but it's no different to the one keropi suggests.

Quote:
...IPF files, how do I go about writing those to disk?..
Unless you know what you are doing it's best not to try
Old 08 January 2007, 19:05   #5
Jope
-

http://www.aminet.net/package/hard/hack/ami2vga

That package has info on making an adapter like the original Commodore silver box, if you want to do it yourself and save money! :-)
Old 08 January 2007, 19:21   #6
Hideki
Hoopy Frood

Send a message via ICQ to Hideki Send a message via AIM to Hideki Send a message via MSN to Hideki Send a message via Yahoo to Hideki
Hihi

Ahh, thanks for the help

I think I'll buy the adapter, I have no 23 pin plugs and don't fancy taking a hacksaw to a 25 way one and I'm sure my fingers will thank me ;p

It doesn't actually say anything about the standard TV modes on that page, this monitor is an Acorn AKF 53 and does support them, I'm assuming there's nothing about the adapter that would prevent those from working?
Old 08 January 2007, 23:18   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze
AFAIK, Ipfs are not meant to be written back to disk.
Yes they are, it's just not technically possible at this time
Old 09 January 2007, 00:13   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Is there any way I can add more chip memory to my 2MB A1200
No, as it was answered before ... BUT! You can save it, by using it more "ergonomically terrific" with the help of FBlit
Old 09 January 2007, 07:32   #9
Jope
-

Quote:
It doesn't actually say anything about the standard TV modes on that page, this monitor is an Acorn AKF 53 and does support them, I'm assuming there's nothing about the adapter that would prevent those from working?
Not really.. The TV frequency signals come out of the same pins and in the same electrical format as the VGA frequency stuff. As long as your monitor syncs down to 15kHz horizontal and 50Hz vertical, everything's ok. :-)
Old 09 January 2007, 13:11   #10
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Otherwise, you will have to use a vga-type screen mode, else the adaptor will do nothing more than connect the Amiga to the monitor, it will not scandouble the Amiga 15KHz signal to 31Khz.
Old 09 January 2007, 15:18   #11
Hideki
Hoopy Frood

Hihi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewis
Otherwise, you will have to use a vga-type screen mode, else the adaptor will do nothing more than connect the Amiga to the monitor, it will not scandouble the Amiga 15KHz signal to 31Khz.
It doesn't need to, I specifically got that monitor because it supports TV modes, anything from 15-36KHz if I remember rightly, I've also had an acorn displaying 640x256 in TV mode on it so it will work, lol, it's just the adapter I need it seems -.o;