English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 September 2015, 11:02   #1
Xtal

Refurbish GVP A2008/GVP-M A4008 SCSI

I have a GVP A2008 controller with what I suspect a dead SCSI controller chip. Nowadays sold by GVP-M as a GVP A4008 controller.

The 8MB Z2 Slow fastmem works, the controller is identified but the controller doesn't identify anything on neither the onboard SCSI connector nor through the external SCSI connector. (And yes, since I'm loving SCSI I've tried most things and i have both active and passive terminators in my spareparts/just in case box).

The chip is not socketed. No problem. It doesn't have the Guru-ROM from Ralph Babel, but since it has worked like a charm with the most weird SCSI devices, I mainly see performance benefits with a Guru ROM.

De-solder and fitting a socket is no problem either, but since I currently doesn't have my miggy open and since it's such a p*ain in the *ss to remove the card, I thought somebody must have replaced a fried chip already.

If you wonder why I don't want to remove it, it's seated in my 4000 desktop together with a Picasso IV, ASDG EB920, and a GVP IOextender.

In normal words, help please! (It's a hardcard, eg; it was once upon a time fitted with a Quantum LPS 105MB, until a Conner 1GB drive replaced it)
Old 02 October 2015, 19:21   #2
aperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtal View Post
I have a GVP A2008 controller with what I suspect a dead SCSI controller chip. Nowadays sold by GVP-M as a GVP A4008 controller.

The 8MB Z2 Slow fastmem works, the controller is identified but the controller doesn't identify anything on neither the onboard SCSI connector nor through the external SCSI connector. (And yes, since I'm loving SCSI I've tried most things and i have both active and passive terminators in my spareparts/just in case box).

The chip is not socketed. No problem. It doesn't have the Guru-ROM from Ralph Babel, but since it has worked like a charm with the most weird SCSI devices, I mainly see performance benefits with a Guru ROM.

De-solder and fitting a socket is no problem either, but since I currently doesn't have my miggy open and since it's such a p*ain in the *ss to remove the card, I thought somebody must have replaced a fried chip already.

If you wonder why I don't want to remove it, it's seated in my 4000 desktop together with a Picasso IV, ASDG EB920, and a GVP IOextender.

In normal words, help please! (It's a hardcard, eg; it was once upon a time fitted with a Quantum LPS 105MB, until a Conner 1GB drive replaced it)
If you'd like to trade it for a couple of brand new SCSI2SD adapters, PM me. Otherwise, let me know if you'd be willing to sell it, with shipping to the US. I can probably fix it.
Old 05 October 2015, 11:34   #3
Xtal

Gvp a2008/a4008

Not interested in selling / trading. I'm going to replace the SCSI chip when I find one. Going to socket the SCSI chip. I think it's a AMD conctroller, but my memory might be wrong. I have probably to find the chip in some obscure overstock / surplus site in Asia...

The GVP A2008/A4008 isn't the fastest controller, but if you DMA SCSI into 16-bit fastmem it's quick enough for disks and DAT tapes.