English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 02 February 2010, 13:28   #1
Lorfarius

Problems with an ebay Amiga seller

I've been dealing with a trader called Airey36, an Amiga dedicated trader on ebay these past 2 months. I believe he has had a mention elsewhere on the forum.

My first trade with the seller was for an A600HD with a few games but despite being advertised as said system turns out it was just a standard one. A week went by after winning the auction and despite numerous emails I still couldn't get him to send an invoice (I was paying for other items and a few extras outside of ebay so needed a correct total). I was completely ignored and it wasn't until I politely mentioned I'd have to leave negative feedback for poor communication that I got any sort of response. Another week past before the system arrived.

He offered to install a bigger HD (70mb) but ended up throwing a 20MB drive in as he had none in stock. I wasn't too bothered by this point as I was going down the CF card route but it's another grumble so in it goes

When I first received the A600 I plugged it in only to find it wouldn't turn on. After a bit of wiggling for several minutes and trying it in a different socket it seemed to powerup just fine so I thought nothing more of it. However as some of you may know it recently died on me after opening it up to take the CF card out (was upgrading an A1200 at the time). The mobo smelled of burning and there was just no way it was working again being only last week I just put it down to me opening the case but thinking back to those initial power up stages I'm starting to wonder if it was already on its way out.

Next up was the supplied mouse it had a broken micro switch on the left button and kept sticking (despite being sold as working) and after a couple of days sending messages the seller agreed to replace it for another if I sent it back. Looking at his other auctions they were all pretty filthy and as luck would have it I was able to get a mouse from a chap on here

I also agreed to pay extra for him to throw in around 160 floppy disks and only received 20. Yet with him taking 3 or 4 days to reply you cant enter into a proper discussion.

Just before Xmas I had a chat with the seller asking if he had any spare disk drives for sale to which he said send payment and I'll post one on. He received and banked my cheque over a month ago (I posted it on the 19th December) yet every single time I contact him to ask where it is I get excuses about him having an Xmas backlog and promises he will send it out. The last was almost a week ago with him asking to reconfirm my address and still no drive.

The odd thing is at the beginning of January I ordered a few games from him and everytime they arrived without issue so I'm confused why he can't just add my drive to the pile. He has lots of regular sales and receives constant feedback so he must be working through stuff yet he's a nightmare to deal with.

It's annoying because he does get some good stuff in stock and recently he had a decent memory expansion for the A1200 for a decent price too but after his shoddy service I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole so I went elsewhere. Has anyone else had problems with this chap?
Old 02 February 2010, 13:36   #2
mr.niceguy

Unfortunately I had some problems too. Still waiting for a refund as some stuff arrived totally damaged because of a shitty packaging.

He only answers on Ebay mails by the way...don't try to contact him directly via Email...
Old 02 February 2010, 13:43   #3
Gordon
Settler

Ive bought from him a few times. usually perephrials like joypads but but they are always in poor condition. They work its just they are dirty so i have to question his storage. The one time i bought hardware, a 1200 mobo, he sent it in a jiffy bag and wrote fragile on it. Luckilly it worked. So ive been lucky in the sense I havenet had to refund but id rather just use Amigakit or amibay and him as a very last resort.
Old 02 February 2010, 13:56   #4
Lorfarius

I suspect his storage consists of a garden shed with the amount of filth on some of the stuff I've had. A quickshot joystick I bought from him had so much gunk around the base of the stick I almost threw it out.
Old 02 February 2010, 14:33   #5
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

I've bought/sold stuff off/from him.

I've found that he tries to beat you down on postage and then has the nerve to charge over the odds on his postage.

I now only deal with members off the various Amiga boards unless I have no choice.

Dave G
Old 02 February 2010, 14:49   #6
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
I've bought/sold stuff off/from him.

I've found that he tries to beat you down on postage and then has the nerve to charge over the odds on his postage.

I now only deal with members off the various Amiga boards unless I have no choice.

Dave G
I'm going that way myself just wish I'd have realised originally before getting involved.
Old 02 February 2010, 14:52   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have bought tens items from Tony and NEVER had any problems with him!
Old 02 February 2010, 14:55   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I bought a game off him which was ok but after reading this I think I'll avoid him!

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Steve.
Old 02 February 2010, 15:02   #9
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

I first bought 3 hard disk cradles and 3 hard drive cables off him, which arrived after about a week.

I later bought an A1200 case off him which never arrived. I contacted him and he sent a replacement, which arrived about a week later. Shame it was dirty and covered in pink girly stickers, but I was intending to clean it anyway. He responded to my e-mails quite quickly, though.

Quite a while later I bought a replacement A500 internal floppy drive off him, which arrived after about a week and worked fine.

Everything I have received off him has been dirty and has needed cleaning, though. Presumably he stores his items in a hole in his garden or something like that.

Steve.
Old 02 February 2010, 16:10   #10
scrappysphinx

I listed my NOS A1200 with 030 Accelerator 2 weeks ago and he won it for £156.03 + £8 (parcel2go) shipping.
It took him a week to contact me to tell me he was going away and it would be a further week until he sent payment. I just recieved payment yesterday.
Not the best buyer in my opinion.
In contrast i've bought stuff off him (sometimes a little expensive but without alternative) and its always arrived quite quickly but usually has very shoddy packaging.

Mike
Old 02 February 2010, 16:27   #11
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I had some filthy junk from him in the past, and he always delivers ...

last time I bought two empty A500+ cases from him. I was pretty sure they would arrive here smashed, thrashed, crashed and tortured in everyway possible on the way (I'm in japan btw) but to my suprise they arrived totally fine ! I was amased ! (though they were as yellow as the rising sun, but hey ...)
Old 02 February 2010, 18:12   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The solution, specially if it is over £100, is not to hand over the notes until you have made contact via land line telephone number.

People cannot ignore you if you buzz their phone every 20 minutes
Old 02 February 2010, 18:19   #13
gulliver
BoingBagged

I have dealt with him in the past with no issues at all.
Anyway, i have just payed for an A1200 motherboad, that should be on its way... I hope it arrives safe and sound

Will report on the mobo arrival. Fingers crossed!
Old 02 February 2010, 18:26   #14
chiark
Needs a life

Tony's fine as long as a) you just want exactly what he's selling and b) there's no problems . Getting hold of him is a nightmare if something has gone wrong in my experience - I ended up just giving up.

But I'd still deal with him. IMHO he's as honest as the day is long, but is human after all!
Old 02 February 2010, 18:36   #15
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Tony's fine as long as a) you just want exactly what he's selling and b) there's no problems . Getting hold of him is a nightmare if something has gone wrong in my experience - I ended up just giving up.

But I'd still deal with him. IMHO he's as honest as the day is long, but is human after all!
Is he an EAB member?
Old 02 February 2010, 18:50   #16
chiark
Needs a life

Never seen him on here, but that doesn't mean he isn't...
Old 02 February 2010, 19:43   #17
fc.studio
Cat lover

I bought about 10 items (joysticks, books, A500+ M/B, craddles, IDE_Splitter, PSU). He is usually enough fast, the items are often dirty but working. It happened (2x) I paid for 2 items combined (as agreed) but I received 1 item only. He sent me the missing items after 2-3 reminders and about 1 month later.
Old 02 February 2010, 20:08   #18
Paul_s

I bought my first A500 (since selling my original in '93) a few years ago. It was dirty but cleaned up a treat The only issue was that it didn't boot up turned out to be a duff 1/2 meg ram cartridge (threw it away although he did offer to replace it).

I did have a few other items but as others have said, they do arrive a bit tatty. If I sell gear on eBay I tend to clean it up and give to others as I'd expect to receive myself...
Old 02 February 2010, 20:10   #19
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I think I have mentioned in the past that the one main problem is that he will use stock photos and then sometimes sends you a totally different item... often something a bit dusty or dirty to say the least.

He just needs to tighten up the service he offers a bit in my opinion.
Old 02 February 2010, 20:39   #20
AndyLandy

I've dealt with airey36 on a couple of occasions. He was pretty good about combining shipping and I got the items I wanted. There were a couple of bits that were more battered than I'd have liked, but we're talking £2 stuff, so I didn't bother making a fuss.