English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 27 December 2021, 14:29   #1
pubzombie

Pi Emulation advice - used to original hardware

Hi all, happy holidays, hope you all having a great time.
I have just built my first raspberry pi. I have wireless keyboard and both wired/wireless Xbox controller.
I’m going to set it up as a pihole next to the router but also connect it to the tv in the front room.
I have very little experience of emulation I usually use my original A1200 & 500.
Just reaching out to ask what emulator you would suggest that is easy to set up and run for a big screen tv? I was looking at Pimiga originally..
Best wishes,
Thanks for your time.
Pub
Old 28 December 2021, 02:26   #2
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

If you are going to be running Pihole while running your Amiga emulator, PiAmiga is not going to work. FS-UAE or Amiberry should work in that scenario. The latter might need a bit more work to get running. Also remember PiAmiga is not a pure Amiga emulator. As Chris says, it is an Amiga-like system which uses Scalos.
Old 03 January 2022, 12:09   #3
pubzombie

Thank u
Will look into the others.
Just ordered a large so card so will be able to fit multiple emus on it.
Amiberry looks very nice
Old 03 January 2022, 14:12   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Not sure that is good idea, to run both on the same RPi.

Pi Hole and emulation should be on 2 different devices, first one never to shutdown if you plan on using it as DNS filter.

For emulation, just get one of already pre-made setups such as RetroPie, Lakka or Batocera. SD cards are fairly cheap and you can have multiple setup for the same RPi.
Old 04 January 2022, 01:10   #5
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I have at least 7 pi’s doing different things. Yeah, it is an addiction…hehe
Old 05 January 2022, 14:29   #6
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I have at least 7 pi’s doing different things. Yeah, it is an addiction…hehe

yes i can see that happening lol!!!
Will use multiple sd cards for now but will def be buying anothe Pi
thanks guys
Old 06 January 2022, 21:19   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

They are versatile little things. I just recently did little project on RPi2 - installed software and used external WiFi card (RPi2 does not have internal WiFi) and it still works great for what I needed to do.

I had also kids setup up some and install OS for RPi (made for kids) and use them.

Just noticed I forgot to mention one of better setups for RPi4/400 - recalbox. I just updated mine on RPi400 to new version, 8.0. This one comes with some homebrew games preinstalled for many systems, so you can see how it is setup, or how it works.

Here are links for others:

RetroPie

Lakka

Batocera

Just a small note - most of those other ones are available for PCs (32 and 64 bit) and some other single board devices.

Last edited by Anubis; 07 January 2022 at 04:38.
Old 07 January 2022, 12:34   #8
amigang

Promote my site
https://amigang.com/software-pii/

Id recommend Amikit XE Pi it a very cool Amiga setup with added Rabbit hole features which I find very handy
https://www.amikit.amiga.sk/raspberry

Also Arcade Punks is handy site at finding some pre-made SD cards,

best of luck, I get it for many emulation wont be seen as a real Amiga, but emulation is only getting better and is handy and fun Amiga experiences
Old 07 January 2022, 20:48   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigang View Post

best of luck, I get it for many emulation wont be seen as a real Amiga, but emulation is only getting better and is handy and fun Amiga experiences

When you tired of emulation, get MiSTer FPGA and try minim core.

I really like minimig, and only downside is that you can't use ipf images.
Old 12 January 2022, 12:05   #10
pubzombie

thanks for this guys!!! loads to have a play with. just got some high endurance MSD cards for it
cheers
PZ
Old 12 January 2022, 15:17   #11
Anubis
Retro Gamer

On my Raspberry Pi 400 I updated RecalBox to version 8. RecalBox is great setup, available for install from RPi installer (Only RetroPie and RecalBox are available as installs in gaming section from there) and comes with some PD software already setup for some of emulators.Those you can disable through menu and install your roms.

What makes recalbox different from other setups, nice and easy to use web interface that can be used to install roms, change settings or perhaps check bios.

It also comes with nice intro screens that change and provide console like feelings while OS is loading.

Standardize setup for controller allows for easy access and use, using special key + UP/DOWN ti change state number, special key + start - exit emulator, X - save state, Y - load state, A - open settings for retro arch, L1 - screenshot. You can also opt to use rewind and fast forward once you enable it.

In RetroPie I used to spend time setting this up for different controller, while here everything is already setup and ready.

Best part is use of ScreenScrapper.fr for screen scrapping, and if you donate / have an account, you can download faster and all movies, for nicer experience.

Also to mention, it comes with with KODI preinstalled and ready to be used.

I strongly suggest to test it, as it is my favorite setup for Raspberry Pie. Over weekend I will try it on an old laptop and computer.

Here is link: https://www.recalbox.com/

It took 3 minutes to find and download full bios set for version 8.

Last edited by Anubis; 12 January 2022 at 15:57.
Old 02 March 2022, 00:03   #12
dgurv

How is your emulation on Raspberry Pi going @pubzombie ?

I use RetroPie with Amiberry installed to add a convenient front end to launching adf and whdload games. Also DietPi is an option I use on a Pi I want to boot directly into Workbench like a real Amiga, using the DietPi Amiberry optimised image.

https://dietpi.com/
Old 30 April 2022, 00:59   #13
admiral
Engineer

For pihole I'd dedicate a rpi2 (very reliable, lowest idle power draw).

For amiberry, rpi 400 or 4.
Old 29 May 2022, 12:17   #14
zx80

PiHole should definitely run on its own Pi. However you can put almost all your Amiga stuff onto a single yet large and fast enough SD card if you like. For convenience, I would add a Linux Desktop System (like RPiOS-64 LXDE), install Amiberry on top and just put all your custom setups somewhere in your home path. Than just add Desktop icons to start Amiberry with the corresponding UAE config file. This way it‘s easy to have multiple workbenches like WB 1.3, 3.1, 3.2 side by side and run what you feel most after booting.
Old 29 May 2022, 15:47   #15
Adropac2
Zone Friend

do also consider using Amibian. it boots straight into the emulation menu of amiberry rather than waiting ages with something like Retropie. Works on pi 2,3. You simply download the image and put on card and it then boots straight into to amiberry

https://gunkrist79.wixsite.com/amibian
Old 29 May 2022, 15:58   #16
zx80

Is the link to the ISO the latest Amibian version available? Is the project itself still maintained? Thought it was somehow abandoned thats why I never tried it till now, just watched some youtube videos of previous versions. So maybe Monkey Island needs to wait some more days in favor of getting my hands on Amibian. Thanks for sharing.
Old 29 May 2022, 19:22   #17
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx80 View Post
Is the link to the ISO the latest Amibian version available? Is the project itself still maintained? Thought it was somehow abandoned thats why I never tried it till now, just watched some youtube videos of previous versions. So maybe Monkey Island needs to wait some more days in favor of getting my hands on Amibian. Thanks for sharing.

a couple of years old now this link. I think they're working on the next thing which you can access if you make a donation. currently though it is a free download of the old one
Old 29 May 2022, 20:51   #18
zx80

Thanks for the fast answer. Just playing around with AmigaOS on my iPad now. Surprising what is possible today.
Old 30 May 2022, 16:55   #19
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx80 View Post
Thanks for the fast answer. Just playing around with AmigaOS on my iPad now. Surprising what is possible today.
yeah amazing really