English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

View Poll Results: Difficult cases - are these games beatable with some effort?
Gods 13 76.47%
Lionheart 10 58.82%
Leander 11 64.71%
Stryx 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 August 2011, 15:33   #1
dex
Eat Electric Death

Roll eyes (sarcastic) The Jump'n Runs you DIDN'T beat - without cheats ;)

Edit 2: Who's the other guy who says Stryx is completable? More hints please!!

If you don't mind me creating another nostalgia thread (I just couldn't fit this into the other topic) - here it goes

While I was looking up games some of you suggested in the other thread, I stumbled accross Fire&Ice and then fired up several other jump'n runs. I assume quite a lot of Amiga sidescrollers are near impossible to beat - or maybe I just didn't try hard enough I tried Mysterious Worlds, Leander, Stryx, Gods...

So which Jump'n Runs did you actually beat without using any cheats or secret passwords and which where impossible? I will collect the beatable ones in a just-for-fun list - if your statement is convincible of course Added some random comments from the posts as well.

Examples:

Perfectly Beatable (most users agreed):
Turrican
Turrican II
Turrican 3
Shadow of the Beast III (didn't really have the patience to the end, though) Edit: I just tried this again recently, this one has dead ends (you have to kill yourself to retry), only three lives and while the levels are short, the last 2 have some seriously weird crane puzzles - and everyone calls this one easy just because the enemies don't just wipe you like in the two prequels?! Seriously?!?)
Flashback (maybe not really a Jump'n Run/Shoot but still)
Superfrog
Lion King
Another World (but you do have to memorize a lot of stuff)
Brian the Lion
OneEscapee
Adams Family
Zool 2
Gianna Sisters
P.P. Hammer (wow...)
Chuck Rock 2
Lionheart (I beat it myself by now. with 4 credits left It's absolutely doable but finding most of the secrets/1ups is essential)
Gods (some extended training sessions needed in later levels, though - and thanks jotd, I did mixed the stuck parts of it up with Cadaver )
Dracula
Mysterious Worlds (according to Harry... it's doable but has some potential "breakers"...)
James Pond 3 (very hard and long - but not impossible)
Twinworld
Lethal Weapon
Ruff n Tumble (also read about it being beatable in another thread, in addition to Bamiga2002's post, so it's 2:1 that it's beatable )

Virtually Impossible (unless proven wrong - you can try ):
Stryx
Shadow of the Beast (Or did you...?) and it seems this game isn't the hardest on the list...?
Shadow of the Beast II (Ask for: "Ten Pints" ...)
The Seven Gates of Jambala
BC Kid
Parasol stars (from world 3)
Mr. Nutz (maybe it is beatable, but the game is just ANNOYING in later levels)
Rainbow Islands (bosses)
Jim Power (so unforgiving. The game without compromises)
Beyond the Ice Palace (same as Jim Power: just one touch and you die - Bamiga2002 claims to have completed it, though)
Mission Elevator ("...was impossible to beat!" it seems)
Wrath of the Demon (well, that one seems to be a tough beast)
Crazy Sue

Pending:
Fire & Ice (still unsure, some finished it it seems...)
Benefactor (also believe it's doable, but yeah the last section... well...)

...which others do you know?

Edit: Added some more games to the list

Last edited by dex; 14 January 2012 at 15:12.
Old 13 August 2011, 18:21   #2
clauddio
Banned

I finished

turrican 3 = very easy
turrican 2
superfrog = very easy
second samurai = easy
dracula
pp hammer = hard but I did it
lionking
flashback
chuck rock 2
another world
yoi yoe = very easy
bckid
brian the lion = easy
lionheart
zool 2
adams family = easy but long
lethal weapon
onescapee
Aladdin = hard but beateable

-------------------------
I tried and I couldn't yet

fire and ice = hard
james pond 3 = very hard and long
soccer kid = I finished but I couldn't found all the targets
pinkie
Old 13 August 2011, 18:58   #3
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

I've never beat any Jump'n Run/Platform game in my life as far as I can remember. Oh yeah, Giana Sisters, think it was on C-64 though. And Moonstone... not that much jumping in that one though.
Old 13 August 2011, 19:05   #4
dex
Eat Electric Death

@clauddio: You beat Lionheart? Amazing! Without a cheat or selecting the levels? Did you practice until you did it? I mean that must have taken ages, no? If you have a nice hint for that shoot'em up sequence on the dragon - feel free to tell

@Blazer: well Moonstone did have the fighting part in 2D in a side perspective at least But yeah it wouldn't really count as a jump'n run.

Edit: I updated the list

Last edited by dex; 13 August 2011 at 19:13.
Old 13 August 2011, 20:23   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Damn, I think MOST Amigans completed Gods without any cheats!

I have beaten a lot of jump n runs, but I add few examples of games, that I personally just cant complete:

Parasol stars - from world 3 just impossible for me
Mr. Nutz - maybe it is beatable, but the game is just ANNOYING in later levels
Fire and Ice, already mentioned
Rainbow islands - I have problem with bosses
Jim Power - so unforgiving. The game without compromises
Beyond the Ice palace - same as Jim Power: just one touch and you die
Ruff n Tumble - the game is perfectly ballanced, I love it... EXCEPT spikey level 4-4, which I simply hate!
Old 13 August 2011, 20:34   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
@clauddio: You beat Lionheart? Amazing! Without a cheat or selecting the levels? Did you practice until you did it? I mean that must have taken ages, no? If you have a nice hint for that shoot'em up sequence on the dragon - feel free to tell
Lionheart is easy enough. You get tons of extra lives/a bigger heart container, potions. Don't run straight through the game.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 13 August 2011 at 20:40.
Old 13 August 2011, 21:29   #7
dex
Eat Electric Death

@Retro-Nerd: Yes, I always reach the level with the dragon sequence but I never beat that. Regardless of the extra lives I collected - I loose them all after some time near the end (?) of the stage -_- Is there something to enhance the performance of the dragon as well?

@Predseda: As a huge fan of the Bitmaps I have to say that Chaos Engine is actually the most balanced (even easy at times) of their games and also perfectly beatable. Gods is ok until the very last world, I never ever was able to complete it - but judging by this longplay [ Show youtube player ] I guess I just need to try harder I never finished Xenon 2, though, but that's a shmup anyway. I'll change this in the list.

I'd love to hear some more comments about Gods, too I remember there being situations where you could only do something once and in case of any mistake you couldn't complete the level. Which isn't exactly good game design - or is it and we are just becoming to weak while spoiled from today's games? Or am I wrong and every situation in the game is solvable withoug getting stuck...?

Last edited by dex; 13 August 2011 at 21:48.
Old 13 August 2011, 21:48   #8
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Leander - IMHO it is the best Amiga platform game
Old 13 August 2011, 21:51   #9
dex
Eat Electric Death

Would you say it's beatable then? Did you have any trouble playing through?
Old 13 August 2011, 21:58   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
@Retro-Nerd: Yes, I always reach the level with the dragon sequence but I never beat that. Regardless of the extra lives I collected - I loose them all after some time near the end (?) of the stage -_- Is there something to enhance the performance of the dragon as well?
Study this longplay. I'm sure you will complete Lionheart then.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 August 2011, 22:03   #11
dex
Eat Electric Death

@Retro-Nerd: thanks, at least I can see now how long the dragon part actually is Edit + Possible Lionheart Spoiler: What? That sequence is so close to the end? However, the boss (which I have never seen before because I lost all my lives just a little earlier...) is rock hard, even the guy in the longplay dies there. Not to mention what comes next...

I added a poll but started it too early, and now it's not possible to edit it -_- So - the question is actually a bit misleading now... just select the game(s) you think are beatable and humanly possible with enough effort

Last edited by dex; 13 August 2011 at 22:15.
Old 13 August 2011, 22:15   #12
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Lionheart can be easily completed even in lionhard mode and Jim Power is way too easy.

I can finish the game with 12 or 13 lives, WTF ?
Old 13 August 2011, 22:17   #13
dex
Eat Electric Death

Jim Power playthrough with 13 lives? You should do a longplay for sure I should have added Jim Power to the poll then... Anyone else who says that one's even "easy"?
Old 13 August 2011, 22:59   #14
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I ALREADY done a long play available on youtube since a longtime now
Old 13 August 2011, 23:04   #15
Visper

I beat Jim Power and didn't find it hard at all.
Old 14 August 2011, 00:06   #16
dex
Eat Electric Death

@dlfrsilver: nice! haha that's cool
@Visper: well, guess I have to update the list then I just tried it an hour ago and at first I thought "yeah, now I see..." and then WHAM! One-hit-death. I guess you can do it but that must be what puts people off
Old 14 August 2011, 00:13   #17
Harry
HD Installer

Mysterious Worlds has a level 2 end dragon where you must get very close to shoot it (and hope that it does not breathe fire in that time; the shot range is increased in the whdload version so you can stay outside his fire range and still hit it), and a level 3 end boss which can not be hit always due a bug in the scrolling (also fixed in the whdload version). As its only 4 levels, it can be completed with some effort in the whdload version, but it is very unforgiving - if you die with the super shot active in level 1-3, you can start a new game.
Old 14 August 2011, 00:32   #18
dex
Eat Electric Death

Woah... well I would still consider this "virtually impossible" if it has "game breaking" stuck situations. Nice to hear some in-depth information about progress in the game though. I don't know I somehow really like that game (music obviously but also the graphics, so simple yet so nicely tiny ) I guess I will have to try this one again... do you remember games like this being in Amiga FUN, with that nice golden logo, when in one issue you had a real gem just to be let down by a crappy one in the next? There was Quik&Silva, Metal Law or Vyrus in that series, damn I miss that stuff...
Old 14 August 2011, 01:27   #19
Gandalf

It's been a long time since I've played Leander. Without trying it again, I would say TwinWorld would be one of the best Platform games. Haven't beaten it yet but really enjoy playing it.
Old 14 August 2011, 02:12   #20
dex
Eat Electric Death

Oh yeah Twinworld is great, can't remember beating that one hmm... I just tried Leander again, though. I think it's not as difficult as I remembered it, it's actually quite possible to beat it. On the normal difficulty I could easily reach the third stage and you could even add continues in the options menu There was some kind of dragon on the way and I actually died a few times when it started to move into my direction. But if you played these parts once (and died once...) it's not that much of a problem

I guess no one really played Stryx, right? It has that nice box, nice intro and nice music - just like all the Psygnosis/Psyclapse games. Until you reach the first level of course... no sound, strange graphics, weird controls and no idea what to do Just like all the... you get the idea Still, I wonder if someone finished it at all...