English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 06 December 2009, 00:43   #1
VresiBerba

Probs with Infogames and WB-resolutions

Experimenting with WinUAE and Classic WB, for an effort to eventually transfer it all to my future A1200, revealed a few problems with Infogames' in that when using a higher screen resolution it cuts off half of the window, as you can see on the image below. Half the native window is missing probably because I'm running a laced graphic mode.

This is how it really should look like

So my question is, how can I fix it so that in the first example, even though running a laced screenmode, I could get to see the whole window. Or something else, perhaps some script that reverts to a non-laced screen, loads the file, which is a single file that can be terminated by a single command withing the game, display a non-laced mode and return to the laced-WB when terminated.

It should actually be rather simple to do, but alas, I'm not really the Amiga-user I once was, and can't figure this one out.
Old 06 December 2009, 00:46   #2
thomas

Just drag the window bigger at the bottom right corner.
Old 06 December 2009, 01:34   #3
VresiBerba

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Just drag the window bigger at the bottom right corner.
Tried that, of course, but the window can only be shrunk, not expanded, not even if the WB is running twice the resolution, and even then, the window only covers half the WB horizontal size.

This is clearly a problem with the laced resolution, seen in the first picture, which somehow reduces the game-window to half the vertical size. I can see the text scroll by before it ends with the user input prompt, so the text is displayed alright, but the window is too shallow and the game can't handle it.

Perhaps the problem is caused by the font ClassicWB is using, with it being too small.
Old 06 December 2009, 03:19   #4
kriz

yeah, try to change font to topaz..
Old 06 December 2009, 16:12   #5
antonvaltaz

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your problem, but I just wondered if you had heard of modern interpreters for Infocom (and other text adventure) games, in particular 'Gargoyle' for Windows?

Link here: http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/

The main advantage is that it's much, much nicer to read onscreen that an old fixed-point font like Topaz.

I've only just discovered Infocom text adventures for myself, and at first I wanted to be 'authentic' by playing them on my emulated Amiga, but after trying out Gargoyle there was no way back for me...
Old 07 December 2009, 01:58   #6
VresiBerba

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your problem, but I just wondered if you had heard of modern interpreters for Infocom (and other text adventure) games, in particular 'Gargoyle' for Windows?

Link here: http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/

The main advantage is that it's much, much nicer to read onscreen that an old fixed-point font like Topaz.

I've only just discovered Infocom text adventures for myself, and at first I wanted to be 'authentic' by playing them on my emulated Amiga, but after trying out Gargoyle there was no way back for me...
That's a fantastic suggestion, thanks a plenty for the tip! But what I'm trying to do is make a viable install using WinUAE to eventually transfer it onto my A1200 and use the Amiga just like I'm using my PC, and would really like to have my original Infogames' on the hard drive.

I was thinking that the shell window is too small and tried to find one that's larger and found ScreenShell and MSS, both which runs fullscreen, but since I'm a bit rusty I can't get the game itself to run in the new shell, the game starts in the old, smaller shell.

If anyone can help me to figure this one out it would be very appreciated, perhaps a script that makes the game run in the fullscreen shell and closes it when I end the game with the 'quit' command.
Old 07 December 2009, 05:46   #7
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VresiBerba View Post
But what I'm trying to do is make a viable install using WinUAE to eventually transfer it onto my A1200 and use the Amiga just like I'm using my PC, and would really like to have my original Infogames' on the hard drive.
Fair enough! One final thought then before I shut up... Have you tried an Amiga interpreter? That should let you play all Infocom text games, including any which weren't released for the Amiga, plus a large chunk of modern interactive fiction / text adventures.

Just Google amiga frotz to find one...
Old 07 December 2009, 05:56   #8
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
bet its something to do with the con: handler , I`ll shut up now as I bet thats no help hehehe
Old 08 December 2009, 08:52   #9
VresiBerba

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
Fair enough! One final thought then before I shut up... Have you tried an Amiga interpreter? That should let you play all Infocom text games, including any which weren't released for the Amiga, plus a large chunk of modern interactive fiction / text adventures.

Just Google amiga frotz to find one...
Okay, you sold me. Managed to get a hold of, what I think is the latest Amiga Frotz (ver 18) and I find it fantastic, to be honest. I didn't quite fancy the Windows one really and I was looking at doing this on the Amiga side after all.

Thanks a lot