English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 October 2020, 21:00   #1
Paulee_Bow

Amiga 3000 keyboard experts, please help :)

Hi, I just bought an A3000. Good condition, but two keyboard keys are sunken/depressed and whilst they can be pried upwards a little, they’ve got no springyness and will drop as soon as you touch them.

So, looks like Mitsumi made this keyboard, so it might not be springs but little rubber domes? If you could let me know how I can begin to fix this (perhaps you know of a parts supplier or a contemporary PC Keyboard that features the same setup) then that’d be a big help!

Thought I’d ask here before I opened anything up.
Old 22 October 2020, 21:15   #2
Paulee_Bow

Attached a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0A7BBD1-68C2-4AE2-9ECF-90C64F29FB70.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	767.8 KB
ID:	69458  
Old 22 October 2020, 22:30   #3
brett71

If it's a Mitsumi-made keyboard, then it should have springs underneath the keycaps....and this also assumes it's the same sort of build as the Mitsumi A1200 keyboards.

The keycaps come up pretty easily, so it shouldn't be hard to pop them off and make sure the springs are still there. The picture you attached isn't opening up for me, so I can't really see the issue.
Old 22 October 2020, 23:03   #4
amiman99

It's a spring. Pop one out and see. I have bunch of springs from A500 keyboard, but you are a bit too far.
Old 23 October 2020, 10:35   #5
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
If it's a Mitsumi-made keyboard, then it should have springs underneath the keycaps....and this also assumes it's the same sort of build as the Mitsumi A1200 keyboards.

The keycaps come up pretty easily, so it shouldn't be hard to pop them off and make sure the springs are still there. The picture you attached isn't opening up for me, so I can't really see the issue.
Hi, there was no spring underneath, it, like I suspected, is a rubber dome keyboard. So I’m assuming this dome has had it and I need a replacement.

Old 23 October 2020, 13:04   #6
Vypr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Hi, there was no spring underneath, it, like I suspected, is a rubber dome keyboard. So I’m assuming this dome has had it and I need a replacement.

You can pop a spring in there instead of the dome. I did that for my A2000 keyboard, the key might stick up further than anything ales on the board but it will work.
Old 23 October 2020, 13:10   #7
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Got the exact same problems with two keyboards here!

One I solved by replacing the entire plate/keys with an A500 one that matched, with a bit of modding it works/fits perfect. There was too much damage even if I did replace the rubber domes so I had no choice but to sort it that way.

I now have another keyboard that has this the same issue as yours! all the large keys including the "return" key refuse to stay up! began stripping it down, found some damage which has peeved me off, seems as if somebody tried to force these keys to stay up by jabbing screw drivers or some other sharp object under them. I may do another A500 plate mod.

Also the spring idea works great! they are basically the same keyboards these mitsumi's, same rubber contacts, keyposts, keytops etc. just some had domes, some had springs.
Old 23 October 2020, 14:02   #8
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Got the exact same problems with two keyboards here!

One I solved by replacing the entire plate/keys with an A500 one that matched, with a bit of modding it works/fits perfect. There was too much damage even if I did replace the rubber domes so I had no choice but to sort it that way.

I now have another keyboard that has this the same issue as yours! all the large keys including the "return" key refuse to stay up! began stripping it down, found some damage which has peeved me off, seems as if somebody tried to force these keys to stay up by jabbing screw drivers or some other sharp object under them. I may do another A500 plate mod.

Also the spring idea works great! they are basically the same keyboards these mitsumi's, same rubber contacts, keyposts, keytops etc. just some had domes, some had springs.
Hi Electroblaster. Someone on the Amiga FB group suggested that Mitsumi KPQ keyboards used the same Rubber domes and plastic parts. So I’ve ordered one off eBay. Which I can them part out to help the community. I’ll probably ask for a little profit for my time.
Old 23 October 2020, 17:47   #9
microfinne

I upgraded my A1200 keyboard from springs to rubber domes, and feels a lot better to type on now. Highly recommend upgrading it.