English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 09 December 2019, 00:02   #1
MKANET

Arrow Is it possible to download a portable iso without installing?

I'm very much a minimalist. I was wondering if there's a way to just download the ISO directly to use without having the install Amiga Forever.

Also, does the Amiga Forever installer install any shared dlls on Windows or any device drivers; or, is all resources of the emulator in a portable folder?

Thank you so much in advance!
Old 12 December 2019, 00:58   #2
Saghalie

You can create a bootable USB.

No device drivers that I know of. It does install it's own .dlls - what Windows program
doesn't?
Old 12 December 2019, 03:26   #3
MKANET

Thank you for replying. I probably didn't explain clearly enough. I was hoping to just download a portable version of Amiga Forever. If I could execute it from a mounted ISO or a portable folder, that would be ideal. I don't mind dlls and other shared resources, I mind where they're copied to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saghalie View Post
You can create a bootable USB.

No device drivers that I know of. It does install it's own .dlls - what Windows program
doesn't?
Old 12 December 2019, 15:04   #4
sturme
Zone Friend

if you buy the disk version of amiga forever, then just put the disk and and boot your system from it, you will have a 3.1 amiga emulated and ready yo go. if you buy the download version of amiga froever then after you install it you can make a bootable iso.
I do want to point out that to get the best enjoyment from amiga forever is use the installed version from a windows computer. but the iso will work with just a 3.1 environment.
Old 12 December 2019, 17:44   #5
MKANET

Thanks so much for your response. I'm not really interested in booting to a disk. I was hoping I could mount the ISO image while in Windows OS (to get a logical drive); and, execute the Amiga Forever executable to launch the app. Maybe Amiga Forever isn't a Win32 compiled app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturme View Post
if you buy the disk version of amiga forever, then just put the disk and and boot your system from it, you will have a 3.1 amiga emulated and ready yo go. if you buy the download version of amiga froever then after you install it you can make a bootable iso.
I do want to point out that to get the best enjoyment from amiga forever is use the installed version from a windows computer. but the iso will work with just a 3.1 environment.
Old 12 December 2019, 17:47   #6
tero

You can run the Amiga Forever Frontend from cd too, no need to install.
Old 12 December 2019, 18:02   #7
sturme
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post
Thanks so much for your response. I'm not really interested in booting to a disk. I was hoping I could mount the ISO image while in Windows OS (to get a logical drive); and, execute the Amiga Forever executable to launch the app. Maybe Amiga Forever isn't a Win32 compiled app?
basically there is no point to what you want to do verses just installing the amiga forever and just running it in windows, minimalist or not, its going to run better and give you more options if you do. you can make the iso from the installer, but your still going to install amiga forever to be able to.
Old 12 December 2019, 18:28   #8
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Thank you for replying. I probably didn't explain clearly enough. I was hoping to just download a portable version of Amiga Forever. If I could execute it from a mounted ISO or a portable folder, that would be ideal. I don't mind dlls and other shared resources, I mind where they're copied to.
Is there not the version KX Light version which is bootable?

https://www.amigaforever.com/kxlight/
Old 12 December 2019, 18:38   #9
sturme
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Is there not the version KX Light version which is bootable?

https://www.amigaforever.com/kxlight/
there is, but he just said he doesn't want to boot into a disk, just run an iso from within windows
Old 12 December 2019, 18:40   #10
MKANET

Thank you so much. I think you might be the only person who understood what I was saying.

Quote:
there is, but he just said he doesn't want to boot into a disk, just run an iso from within windows
Old 12 December 2019, 18:42   #11
lesta_smsc

Quote:
You can... VM and just boot using ISO?
Old 12 December 2019, 18:44   #12
sturme
Zone Friend

Quote:
Thank you so much. I think you might be the only person who understood what I was saying.
I understand, but its not minimalist, its over complicating a simple task, you will have to install amiga forever to create an iso, so you might as well run amiga forever and just choose the amiga and os you want out of the amiga forever configurations.
Old 12 December 2019, 18:53   #13
lesta_smsc

WinUAE effectively the same thing if you set config.
Old 13 December 2019, 15:43   #14
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
WinUAE effectively the same thing if you set config.
Yeah this, Amiga Forever is good if you want the roms but Winuae is far the better solution. I mean if you are going to store a 700mb+ Iso some where you might as well install it or run Winuae.
Old 14 December 2019, 01:31   #15
Saghalie

Make an ISO from the image.

Mount the ISO.

Select AutoRun.

Select "Play from Medium"

OR - Just insert the CD instead and select "Play from Medium"