English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 November 2020, 21:30   #1
PDrill

AmigaBASIC, ACE compiler and WINDOW

I made a piece of Basic software which starts with window -command, then I made an executable of it with ACE Compiler and it works just like I meant it to work. First it opens a window like it should and so on.

I'm using my A600 3.1 machine to do it, and at some point I thought I'll try it on my stock A500 1.3. Well, the window doesn't open. Other than that the program works but I really need the window. Tried with softkicking it to 2.0 and with the appropriate Workbench and no. Finally I booted the A600 with a Workbench floppy that is the same version as my WB in the A600 hard drive and thought that must work. But it doesn't. My program doesn't open the window, it just starts going on in the CLI window it was started in.

Then some RTFM and somewhere in the ACE files is written that "I made a decision very early on in the project to allow standard I/O (for shell/CLI). All other windows are (as of ACE v2.0) Intuition windows.".

So obviously my main machine with all the software has something the ACE compiled program needs to open a new window, but what is that? What am I missing if I boot up from a WB31 floppy? I can live with it not running on an 1.3 machine but I really want to understand what I am missing here.

Wouldn't want to code for hours and hours and find out it runs just on this machine and not in any other :-D
Old 03 November 2020, 23:22   #2
redblade
Zone Friend

on Kickstart 2.0 + when you call dos.library/Output()
and it returns 0 it will then open a filehandle to CON:
try opening a file called "CON:0/0/200/100/test" and passing that returned pointer to the Write() command.

windowptr = Open("CON:0/0/200/100/test",1005)
Write(windowptr,"text to display",16)
Old 05 November 2020, 06:20   #3
PDrill

Erhm... Well, thanks for the answer but.. I don't understand anything you suggested :-)

Like I said, I'm coding my stuff in AmigaBASIC and it has a WINDOW command which is used for example like this:

WINDOW 2,"MyWindow",(0,0)-(311,45),16

And when I compile my program as an exe with ACE, the window opens only in my main machine and all my other Amigas are lacking something needed for the compiled program to open the window. So their output comes to the CLI where I start the compiled program from.

And I need to know that the other computers are lacking to make my program work in them too.