English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 November 2022, 04:51   #61
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Yes!
Do you have the hardware (GreaseWeazle, Kryoflux etc.) required to image it?
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes I have a Greaseweazle and I have already made an image of the disk and I have some good news! I was able to write the image to a fresh disk and it passed the copy protection too - so I'm not sure what @rhester72 meant when he said it was impossible?

It is currently in .SCP format and around 38MB!

@dlfrsilver do you think you will be able to create an IPF out of it?

Mind you I did take around 5 readings I think. The 4th of these seems to be spot on when written to disk, but the others run via WinUAE.

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 18 November 2022 at 08:43.
Old 18 November 2022, 09:51   #62
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes I have a Greaseweazle and I have already made an image of the disk and I have some good news! I was able to write the image to a fresh disk and it passed the copy protection too - so I'm not sure what @rhester72 meant when he said it was impossible?

@dlfrsilver do you think you will be able to create an IPF out of it?

Mind you I did take around 5 readings I think. The 4th of these seems to be spot on when written to disk, but the others run via WinUAE.
Only with Disk Analyse :/ currently the SPS tool doesn't handle the protection.
Old 18 November 2022, 13:45   #63
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester72 View Post
Does anyone have an IPF (or SCP) image of the _original_ FTL DM 2.0 English release?

I now have the capability to dump, but no longer have my disks, and prices on eBay are *insane*.
In the Zone +4 Supermax
Old 18 November 2022, 13:59   #64
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
It will contain all the information that was duplicated on the disk, the problem is converting that information into a format that can describe the protection track!
Ok .
I'll thoroughly test all the uploads by you and Snoopy1234.

Just one thought (sorry for the question, Toni): could it be that many DM existing dumps made by us are indeed good, and DM in the emulated machine doesn't fully read the protection because of a WinUAE's "fault" of some sort?
Just to exclude some variables...
Old 18 November 2022, 14:44   #65
Supamax

Quote:
Be aware that DM's (and CSB's) protection is a real bitch . You can believe it passed the protection, only to discover, while playing, that it didn't.

Quote:
Yes, it's normal for SCP images .

Quote:
Would you upload the best one to The Zone?
Old 18 November 2022, 15:28   #66
BarryB
Amigaholic

The DM protection won't be a fault of WinUAE rather the images made from the various dumps not containing all the information to describe the protection accurately enough to pass all the checks!

I don't think even disk-analyse fully supports the protection does it?
Old 18 November 2022, 16:49   #67
Supamax

Quote:
The DM protection won't be a fault of WinUAE rather the images made from the various dumps not containing all the information to describe the protection accurately enough to pass all the checks!
But in post #60 you wrote the opposite:

Quote:
It will contain all the information that was duplicated on the disk
Old 18 November 2022, 17:57   #68
BarryB
Amigaholic

That's correct!

The RAW Kryoflux dump will always contain all the information that's read from the disk, be it copy protections or MFM formats, it's the images created from those dumps that don't seem to contain the required information as the tools available don't seem to be able to accurately process RAW dumps of DM good enough to re-create the protection track!

If Jim Drew says dumping to an SCP WILL contain the required information then someone with a SuperCard Pro will need to dump an original disk to .SCP format so we can verify that it does work!

Creating a CT RAW from my Kryoflux dumps does not create a working image as it sticks when checking the protection!
Old 18 November 2022, 19:51   #69
lesta_smsc

Quote:
That's correct!

The RAW Kryoflux dump will always contain all the information that's read from the disk, be it copy protections or MFM formats, it's the images created from those dumps that don't seem to contain the required information as the tools available don't seem to be able to accurately process RAW dumps of DM good enough to re-create the protection track!

If Jim Drew says dumping to an SCP WILL contain the required information then someone with a SuperCard Pro will need to dump an original disk to .SCP format so we can verify that it does work!

Creating a CT RAW from my Kryoflux dumps does not create a working image as it sticks when checking the protection!
If SuperCard Pro can do this then I could potentially get my friend to make an image of my disk. However, Greaseweazle and Drawbridge both output to SCP format so any reason why their versions wouldn't work?

Once I'm home later I'll upload my version. If you can test it out that would be great... if it works. Then feel free to make it available to the masses lol.
Old 18 November 2022, 20:57   #70
BarryB
Amigaholic

I have a Greaseweazle, updated it to latest f/w 1.2 and 1.3 software, so dumped my DM v2.2 to SCP for people to test!

In The Zone Dungeon Master v2.2 Greaseweazle Dump To SCP.7z which contains two SCP images, one with 3 revs per track and one with 5 revs per track, just in case 3 revs versus 5 revs makes any difference to the protection check!!

Last edited by BarryB; 18 November 2022 at 21:40.
Old 18 November 2022, 23:40   #71
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I have a Greaseweazle, updated it to latest f/w 1.2 and 1.3 software, so dumped my DM v2.2 to SCP for people to test!

In The Zone Dungeon Master v2.2 Greaseweazle Dump To SCP.7z which contains two SCP images, one with 3 revs per track and one with 5 revs per track, just in case 3 revs versus 5 revs makes any difference to the protection check!!
Oooh good point. I think mine was done on 3 revs which seems to be the default.

One thing I noted was: WinUAE ran most of the SCP dumps but when I wrote to disk, it was my 4th SCP dump that booted to the game whereas others stuck just after FTL logo appears.
Old 18 November 2022, 23:58   #72
Supamax

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Oooh good point. I think mine was done on 3 revs which seems to be the default.
Would you upload your SCP dump to The Zone?
It will be nice to test all the available dumps!
Old 19 November 2022, 00:12   #73
Supamax

I uploaded to The Zone the .SCP image of my original Chaos Strikes Back v3.1 English.
Hope it works (the physical floppy works).
Old 19 November 2022, 04:01   #74
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Would you upload your SCP dump to The Zone?
It will be nice to test all the available dumps!
Uploaded my version of version 2.0 to The Zone! This version runs perfectly under WinUAE and when written to a floppy disk. Hopefully it works for the rest of you! I haven't bothered converting to IPF as I am not sure what benefit that has over SCP and whether it might break the protection by such a conversion.
Old 19 November 2022, 07:23   #75
Snoopy1234

[QUOTE=Supamax;1575720]What do you mean with "shifted"?
Is there a link to the relevant thread?

Shifting or rotating a track in HxC exe is re-aligning the track in relation to the track index markers. Jim Drew, the SCP man is big on this as some hardware reads can cause differences and re-setting the offending track can make the image functional in certain cases. The upload I did of your dump has the 0.1 protection track shifted by +5 points. It would be interesting to hear if it works for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shift0.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	77147   Click image for larger version

Name:	shift1.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	77148  
Old 19 November 2022, 09:27   #76
lesta_smsc

[QUOTE=Snoopy1234;1576156]
Quote:
What do you mean with "shifted"?

Is there a link to the relevant thread?

Shifting or rotating a track in HxC exe is re-aligning the track in relation to the track index markers. Jim Drew, the SCP man is big on this as some hardware reads can cause differences and re-setting the offending track can make the image functional in certain cases. The upload I did of your dump has the 0.1 protection track shifted by +5 points. It would be interesting to hear if it works for you.
So this was only relevant when changing from an IPF as the index may not be aligned. However, if an SCP image was made directly from the floppy disk, it should be possible to write back that same image without adjustment.

I recall this was mentioned in my Greaseweazle thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99634

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 19 November 2022 at 09:33.
Old 19 November 2022, 10:07   #77
Snoopy1234

[QUOTE=lesta_smsc;1576172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
So this was only relevant when changing from an IPF as the index may not be aligned. However, if an SCP image was made directly from the floppy disk, it should be possible to write back that same image without adjustment.

I recall this was mentioned in my Greaseweazle thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99634
Um yeah but this was about @Supermax's scp image that didn't work. The protection track just needed a nudge. I haven't heard back if the result is a success yet... If his own image could work that would be best for him I'd think.
I also converted it to ipf but he reports it only partially plays.
Old 19 November 2022, 13:36   #78
BarryB
Amigaholic

Someone with the relevant skills will need to check the SCP images to see if they do indeed accurately describe the DM protection track, until one of the uploaded dumps is verified we have no way of knowing if they do work or bomb later in the game!

Or we just forget this whole DM protection issue and just use v3.6
Old 19 November 2022, 13:48   #79
Supamax

Quote:
Uploaded my version of version 2.0 to The Zone!
Thanks

Quote:
This version runs perfectly under WinUAE and when written to a floppy disk. Hopefully it works for the rest of you!
Unfortunately "runs perfectly" with DM is not easy to say for sure .
Did you test it thoroughly? If so, maybe I have a non-optimal config, but I set it up as similar as possible to my A500 physical machine (v1.2 KS, cycle exact, most compatible floppy drive emulation etc. etc.).
If you or BarryB or Snoopy1234 can play your DM images for more than 20 minutes I would like to receive you config file

Quote:
I haven't bothered converting to IPF as I am not sure what benefit that has over SCP and whether it might break the protection by such a conversion.
Yes, I agree. A step at a time.

Quote:
Someone with the relevant skills will need to check the SCP images to see if they do indeed accurately describe the DM protection track, until one of the uploaded dumps is verified we have no way of knowing if they do work or bomb later in the game!

Quote:
Or we just forget this whole DM protection issue and just use v3.6
Never! (I'm joking )
Old 19 November 2022, 13:55   #80
Supamax

Just some questions about Kryoflux I ever wandered about:

- can I directly load Kryoflux dumps (the ones consisting in multiple files, one for each track/side) in WinUAE? If so, how? By putting them in a dedicated subdirectory?

- CT RAW is a different representation of a "multiple files" KF dump?