English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 26 March 2008, 15:06   #1
Phantom

Future Wars - Problem with Save Disk

Hi all of you, I'm new here and my first post is about a problem with Future Wars adventure game from Delphine.

I own of course the original disks. The manuals says to make a formatted disk to save your game. I did it through the Workbench, but when I try to save my game and insert my blank disk it says always to "Please insert a formatted diskette".

I tried both QuickFormat and Format options from the Workbench but nothing. I'm playing this game on my A1200.

Any ideas? Somewhere I heard that it depends from the label of the disk, but I don't know. Thanks

Last edited by Phantom; 26 March 2008 at 15:34.

Old 29 March 2009, 09:22   #2
DC33
Zone Friend

Sorry to budge-in like this Phantom, but I have a slightly similar issue whereby I cannot save a game file in WHDLoad..(using a real 1200). My gut-feeling is that it is because I am playing it with a 060. I can go through the save process, however the screen starts to flicker say... like every 5 seconds or so and the HD LED comes on and off on a continual loop. I have tried with the 060 board removed, but because I am using Classic WB I now do not have enough memory to load the game through WHDLoad.

Anyone able to shed some light on what I could do?

Cheers
Old 29 March 2009, 10:19   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
In FW, it helped for me to first select the DRIVE to save to, even though it might already have been set before.
Old 29 March 2009, 12:10   #4
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
In FW, it helped for me to first select the DRIVE to save to, even though it might already have been set before.
I wish it was that easy... I can't even do that I'm afraid.
Old 29 March 2009, 13:42   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Why? Press both mouse buttons at a time, and choose the drive...?
(or this only works on an A500, the machine it was written for in 1989)

As you're playing on REAL machines (which, frankly, is a bit unusual these days ), it might be a good idea to use a degrader like TUDE or something else, and switch off all those bells and whistles for a change.
Your machines just seem too powerful and hi-end for this old game

P. S. After a second read, my information seems rather applicable to Phantom's problem than to yours. But EAB's "fantastic" auto-purge feature has removed his account for good, so I'm afraid he won't come back here too soon...

Gerald Yuen's fantastic information site says you should use Relokick. Try that!

Last edited by andreas; 29 March 2009 at 13:52.
Old 29 March 2009, 15:30   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
it might be a good idea to use a degrader like TUDE or something else, and switch off all those bells and whistles for a change.
Gerald Yuen's fantastic information site says you should use Relokick.
You do realise that he's playing the WHDLoad version, don't you? So neither TUDE or Relokick is needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC33
I can go through the save process, however the screen starts to flicker say... like every 5 seconds or so and the HD LED comes on and off on a continual loop.
This might be normal due to the needed OS swaps in WHDLoad so saving the game will take a while. Do you have "NoWriteCache" set maybe? If so, turn it off and see if that helps.
Old 29 March 2009, 15:43   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
You do realise that he's playing the WHDLoad version, don't you? So neither TUDE or Relokick is needed!
As I wrote, everything I wrote applies to Phantom's problem than DC33's.
Phantom did NOT write anything about using the WHDload version.
Before yelling out, it might sometimes be useful to read the very first post of this thread, mightn't it.
Old 29 March 2009, 16:48   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
As I wrote, everything I wrote applies to Phantom's problem than DC33's.
Phantom did NOT write anything about using the WHDload version.
Before yelling out, it might sometimes be useful to read the very first post of this thread, mightn't it.
Yeah and it of course makes perfect sense to answer someone that isn't even member of this board anymore when someone else asks for help in this thread. And of course, you never answered DC33 in this thread, sure thing...
Makes as much sense as your claims in this thread about a certain Turrican crack.
Old 30 March 2009, 08:42   #9
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Why? Press both mouse buttons at a time, and choose the drive...?
(or this only works on an A500, the machine it was written for in 1989)
Have tried doing this but the option of "choosing" a drive like DF0 or anything else for that matter, but the option boxes just appear as "blank" making it impossible in choosing anything.

Quote:

This might be normal due to the needed OS swaps in WHDLoad so saving the game will take a while. Do you have "NoWriteCache" set maybe? If so, turn it off and see if that helps.
Silly question, but where is this done? I assume that it is an option in WinUAE ? as opposed to a real Amiga? Sorry if I have missed something here.

But thanks for your help.

Another thing I have found interesting is that when I am able to save a game (saved in the FW dir on the hard drive), I can actually see the saved game's name when choosing to reload, BUT.... only as long as I keep the current session going. for example, when I restart the game and try to reload a saved game I cannot see any of the saved games... only the Future Wars default saved game.....

I don't recall this ever being an issue...!!
Old 30 March 2009, 09:37   #10
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC33 View Post
Silly question, but where is this done? I assume that it is an option in WinUAE ? as opposed to a real Amiga? Sorry if I have missed something here.
He means in WHDLoad, in the tooltypes.
Old 30 March 2009, 09:47   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:

But thanks for your help.
You're very welcome. As Graham Humphrey already wrote, this is done in the tooltypes. But see below.

Quote:
Another thing I have found interesting is that when I am able to save a game (saved in the FW dir on the hard drive), I can actually see the saved game's name when choosing to reload, BUT.... only as long as I keep the current session going. for example, when I restart the game and try to reload a saved game I cannot see any of the saved games... only the Future Wars default saved game.....

I don't recall this ever being an issue...!!

This sounds like "NoWriteCache" is not enabled. WHDLoad caches all files in memory in this case and only saves them to disk when you quit the game using the quitkey.

I'll check Future Wars on my 060 this evening and see if I can reproduce your problems with saving games.
Old 30 March 2009, 11:57   #12
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
I'll check Future Wars on my 060 this evening and see if I can reproduce your problems with saving games.
No need StingRay...

I think I have found the problem. It appears such that WHDLoad has nothing to do as far as the settings are concerned (tooltypes etc) as I was getting the same problem with the disk version of the game. Wrote the ADF files back to floppy and gave that a go, and much to my surprise, the result was just the same.

I removed my Apollo board and tried the floppies after degrading the system to use WB1.3. Everything works just like I remember it....!!

I then tried running it on a stock 1200 configuration but the game kept crashing so I cannot confirm what the real issue is.

Thanks again SR & GH.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:22   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I removed my Apollo board and tried the floppies after degrading the system to use WB1.3. Everything works just like I remember it....!!
But that sounds like there is a problem with the WHDLoad slave. You might want to let JOTD (he coded the slave) know.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:47   #14
DC33
Zone Friend

OK Will do. However I would be interested how it behaves in your 060 setup - just to be sure it isn't just on my side

Cheers
Old 30 March 2009, 13:25   #15
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
OK Will do. However I would be interested how it behaves in your 060 setup - just to be sure it isn't just on my side

Cheers
No problem, I'll test it this evening when I'm back home from work.
Old 29 October 2015, 22:16   #16
Starglider 2

...and he never came back from work.

6.5 years later...

I have an A500+ and am using the original floppies, so no WHDLoad in the equation. The game plays fine if I switch the machine to PAL mode from the boot selector, but I too get this error when trying to save my game:

"Please insert a formatted diskette"

I have tried several formatted disks to no avail. I've tried reselecting DF0 from the save game drive list, also to no avail.

I don't have an 060.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Starglider 2; 30 October 2015 at 01:04.
Old 14 May 2016, 12:32   #17
tolkien
AmigaMan

Another re-up of this thread.
I am using the Spanish version with WHDLOAD and cant save the game. With the English one It is ok.
Im using a real 1200 with 060 and the latest whdload.
What can be wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by tolkien; 15 May 2016 at 09:24.
Old 15 May 2016, 08:22   #18
Starglider 2

I think I resorted to just playing the whole game through and hoping it didn't crash. Which it didn't. Good luck... in the Future.
Old 15 May 2016, 09:09   #19
jotd
This cat is no more

provide me the spanish version i will have a look
Old 15 May 2016, 12:26   #20
daxb

I teste the german version who saving works. There are 10 files (LVDT.0, LVDT.1, ..., LVDT.9) each 30000 bytes in data dir and when a savegame slot is used to save then its size change to around 17kb. In file LVDT.DIR are the names you entered when saving. If someone wants to check that who saving doesn`t work.