English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 02 April 2007, 07:34   #1
flibble42

"Pointless" features. (Was: This ones for Toni..)

We as users all have ideas about what we would like to see WinUAE able to do (Hardware Expansions etc).. What would you like to see in your own project? Your biggest want would be?

Other than saying "thanks" alot i'm not sure how much we interact with you. So if you where coding an AMIGA emulator (oops, you are) what would be your BIG thing that you wanted.

Not worded well but i hope you get the idea..

Tell us your dreams

Flibble
Old 02 April 2007, 20:31   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Main goal still is 100% A500 compatibility but it is getting more and more difficult without wasting lots of times (and without any hardware analyzers etc..)

68040/60 MMU (030 is too complex) also would be nice but without JIT compatibility it would be mostly useless (but some host MMU tricks may help, anyway, very low priority currently)

A600/A1200/A4000 IDE emulation by mounting HDF as IDE drive. (Whats the point? I don't really know but I want to do this..)

CDTV was one of the bigger things but it is now done (but not compatible enough, someone, please sell me a real CDTV, thanks. A570 is too different compared to CDTV)

More options to "Advanced chipset". Every possible, even tiny, model specific hardware feature must be available

I also have some crazy and extremely pointless ideas, like parallel port audio digitizer emulation

Perhaps some kind of "framework" for easier implementation of parallel/serial/joystick port devices. (like above audio digitizer, dongles etc..)

Any ideas for more "extremely pointless" expansion devices?
Old 02 April 2007, 20:40   #3
keropi

a ser/parallel external clock module is pointless and useless at the same time!
Old 02 April 2007, 20:40   #4
ppill
CON: artist

PCMCIA? Pretty pointless but would be cool to access the cards I'm using on my real Amiga in my laptop under emulation.

Last edited by ppill; 02 April 2007 at 20:57.
Old 02 April 2007, 20:54   #5
thor

Hardware freezers besides Action Replay (probably difficult dumping them/finding some rarer ones)

I know of:
Nordic Power (there are at least two versions) (have 3)
ProAccess
Bus Stop
X-Power Pro (Gameworks/Design&Engineering versions) (have D&E version)
Action Super Cartridge IV (loads the software from a protected disk) (have 2)

Last edited by thor; 02 April 2007 at 21:19.
Old 02 April 2007, 21:40   #6
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Parallel port Teletext decoder emulation that streams the Teletext data from Analog TV/DVB card
Old 02 April 2007, 21:54   #7
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Mayhaps not a "pointless" device..... but a build-in "Sana-II" emulation might be nice? (For those weirdos who emulate 68k Mac under WinUAE.... fastest 68k Mac on the planet ) I just couldn't get the nullsana and the other one to work so... buildin SANA-II is my suggestion.
Old 02 April 2007, 23:09   #8
wizard66
FPGA Replay inside A590

[quote=Toni Wilen]\

CDTV was one of the bigger things but it is now done (but not compatible enough, someone, please sell me a real CDTV, thanks. A570 is too different compared to CDTV)

Hi Toni,

I want to do something back for the Winuae Development and amiga comunity and I will give you a CDTV for free you only have to pay for shipment costs, if you are intrested let me know !

Last edited by wizard66; 02 April 2007 at 23:24.
Old 02 April 2007, 23:58   #9
fmcpma
Banned

Quote:
Hello, Toni!

I am glad that you finally see that the best part of emulation is the "extrmely pointless" part ;-)
Old 03 April 2007, 00:34   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Parallel port Teletext decoder emulation that streams the Teletext data from Analog TV/DVB card
This is second most pointless idea (seriously, I did have self-made analog teletext decoder PCB connected to Amiga, I think the instructions were in aminet or something..) Anyway, I am 99.99% sure I won't emulate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
but a build-in "Sana-II" emulation might be nice
I don't think this is pointless enough! I remember reading SanaII specs ages ago and there was some problems, I think the problem was "emulating" virtual network card in host-side, I have no idea how to do it (I guess it is something Virtual PC or VMWare does)

Quote:
Hardware freezers besides Action Replay
Will be done but only if I can have physical device for experimentation. ROM dump isn't enough. (too easy to waste time by just by tracing the ROM blindly without hardware)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill
PCMCIA
Most likely will happen someday because it will be another fun learning experience. But it will be very pointless

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
a ser/parallel external clock module
Currently most pointless idea ever, but no, I won't implement this

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard66
I want to do something back for the Winuae Development and amiga comunity and I will give you a CDTV for free you only have to pay for shipment costs, if you are intrested let me know !
You serious? Of course I am more than interested.
Old 03 April 2007, 00:39   #11
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard66

Hi Toni,

Wow! That's truly a nice and generous offer. I would die for a cheap CDTV unit myself, but they aren't as easy to track down as CD32's...
Old 03 April 2007, 00:47   #12
wizard66
FPGA Replay inside A590

Quote:
You serious? Of course I am more than interested.
for sure, I have to digg it up from my Amiga-room tommorow I know it's working but I hope you have a keyboard for it (i don't have it) any a4000k keyboard will work.

Leave me a PM with your adress and your private e-mail so i can leave the track@trace nummer also i will e-mail the shiping scan for the actual shiping cost.
Old 03 April 2007, 00:59   #13
thor

Quote:
This is second most pointless idea (seriously, I did have self-made analog teletext decoder PCB connected to Amiga, I think the instructions were in aminet or something..) Anyway, I am 99.99% sure I won't emulate this.
Shit, keropi beat me (I made a basic software teletext decoder for DVB cards, useless too as almost all tv viewer software come with one). How about emulating a Vortex Golden Gate card?

Quote:
Quote:
Hardware freezers besides Action Replay
Will be done but only if I can have physical device for experimentation. ROM dump isn't enough. (too easy to waste time by just by tracing the ROM blindly without hardware)
Couldn't get a ROM dump from them myself. I can send you the ones I have and you can keep a copy of the ones where I have multiple copies. But would take a bit as they are stored at my parents' house currently.
Old 03 April 2007, 05:15   #14
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Erm, all of this stuff belongs to WISHLIST forum, doesn't it?

Toni, you want a non-pointless idea? 0% pointless?

Here you go ... Phazer gun emulation!
So we could finally get a shitload of screenshots in HOL and would not be fully dependent of contributors anymore

Last edited by andreas; 05 April 2007 at 17:14.
Old 03 April 2007, 05:39   #15
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Just want to mention this: Null modem emulation via IP (internet play): Stuntcar Racer etc.
Old 03 April 2007, 05:45   #16
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Here you go ... Phazer gun emulation!
It's already there:

Code:
WinUAE 1.3.3
============

Major new features:

- Lightpen/lightgun emulation.
Old 03 April 2007, 09:55   #17
amiga

Quote:

I don't think this is pointless enough! I remember reading SanaII specs ages ago and there was some problems, I think the problem was "emulating" virtual network card in host-side, I have no idea how to do it (I guess it is something Virtual PC or VMWare does)

NullSana (on aminet) does just that: it provides a virtual ethernet card.
The problem is that it uses Miami.
So maybe Toni could find a way for it to use WinUAE built-in tcp/ip stack instead of Miami.
Old 03 April 2007, 16:31   #18
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
NullSana (on aminet) does just that: it provides a virtual ethernet card.
The problem is that it uses Miami.
So maybe Toni could find a way for it to use WinUAE built-in tcp/ip stack instead of Miami.
If you go up and read my whole post, mate, you'll see that I had no luck using it in WinUAE Which is why I suggested it for Toni But the idea is kinda good....... sortof "redirect" away from Miami and use the emulated Socket instead...... Would be a huge improvement over having a 68K Mac without anything, at least......

Or mayhaps, if the source for Nullsana came along with it... mayhaps it could be modified just for release to "us others" and Toni needn't wory about it? No coding for me though.. I could make a "screensaver" in AMOS but I couldn't go hardwarelevel if my life depended on it
Old 03 April 2007, 17:08   #19
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Better filtered & Non filtered post processing sound effects.

WinUAE doesnt sound very much like the sound output from my Amiga, it is too crisp and sharp (even when my Amiga has it's Omega Sound Enhancer on).

Some work to make the sound a little more realistic.

(A bit pointless as it will make the sound output worse!)
Old 03 April 2007, 19:00   #20
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisken uno
Wow! That's truly a nice and generous offer. I would die for a cheap CDTV unit myself, but they aren't as easy to track down as CD32's...
Funny, I always thought CDTVs pop up quite regularly on eBay????