English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 October 2020, 12:22   #21
Jope
-

I'm hopeful.

The forced deinterlace is why I never looked into building or buying Staringlizard's device. You can get that effect cheaply with one of those 25e scart -> hdmi boxes from Amazon.
Old 28 October 2020, 12:43   #22
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I'm hopeful.
Keep us posted as soon as get the toy, please!
Old 28 October 2020, 12:59   #23
skan
Dream Merchant

Another slight OT:

I've been doing some personal research on all Amiga-related-things FPGA as well because: A) I'd like to "get the feeling" again (currently working on WinUAE), but due to lack of real estate and money, FPGA feels the right direction to me and B) Can't be bothered to get my A1200 and or A500 back in action after sooo many years of inactivity without some proper testing/recapping first, but alas, again, lack of space and money ATM...

Well, I hoped to get a clearer view on the subject, but all I managed to get is... a terrible headache in the end! Too many solutions and not a perfect one, only sh!tloads of compromises....

Vampire SA is too much stuff for me right now (not aiming for a wannabe-A6000 honestly, plus not really a fan of their attitude and project vision).

TC64 is kinda cool, but quite expensive (and more focused on C64 features IIRC).

On the other hand, MIST/MISTer/Mistica/SiDi/UnAmiga sound perfect for some retrogaming tinkering, but all seem to lack something (eg: if you want a fanless solution, no HDMI for you - or other compromises like that).

EDIT: another kid in town! This time with HDMI, floppy and keyboard port too!
https://www.elektroda.de/rtvforum/topic3598849.html

RPi: no, thanks!

Maybe I'm just getting too grumpy, old and lazy for this sh!t...

--------
TL;DR: Is there a fanless MISTer out there?

Last edited by skan; 29 October 2020 at 08:54.
Old 28 October 2020, 13:26   #24
dreadnought

Why do you want to go fanless? My MiSTer has got a cheap fan/heatsink bought for less than 10 GBP, works fine, no noise.

You can skip the fan completely for most other cores, but unfortunately Minimig core (and I think ao486) is the one which apparently requires it.
Old 28 October 2020, 15:55   #25
kaffie

I ended up with a couple of boards for my MiSTer. One with a cheap fan and one with a more expensive silent fan. Can't say I really noticed the difference between the boards, they both extremely quiet.
Old 28 October 2020, 17:19   #26
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Why do you want to go fanless? My MiSTer has got a cheap fan/heatsink bought for less than 10 GBP, works fine, no noise.
Dunno, never been a fan of fans (sorry, no pun intended, really).
I like silent systems. Or better, I tolerate silent systems ONLY.

I think I don't like the sandwich-design of the MISTer too, as well as the lack of default DB9 joyports.

EDIT: Maybe the Mistica is a better match for what I have in mind... OK, no HDMI, but I can live with that!
Old 28 October 2020, 18:21   #27
captain_zzap

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Another slight OT:
TC64 is kinda cool, but quite expensive (and more focused on C64 features IIRC).
The TC64 is actually really cool, as you can use a minimig core with AGA, RTG and use the keyboard of the C64. It’s nearly a full Amiga and even smaller then the 600. What annoys me about the TC64V2 is the bad VGA signal, similar to the IndivisionECSV2.
Old 29 October 2020, 07:51   #28
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_zzap View Post
The TC64 is actually really cool, as you can use a minimig core with AGA, RTG and use the keyboard of the C64. It’s nearly a full Amiga and even smaller then the 600. What annoys me about the TC64V2 is the bad VGA signal, similar to the IndivisionECSV2.
Yeah, pretty nice toy it seems! I suppose those issues exist just on LCD and not CRT, right?
Old 29 October 2020, 08:29   #29
skan
Dream Merchant

...aaaand here we go, another OT (but maybe this deserves its own thread?)

I stumbled upon this https://www.analogue.co/pocket, a portable FPGA console from Analogue... now, the cool thing about this is they'd like to get more cores on this pretty toy. Scroll the page all the way down and you'll see they are open to get more developers on the platform. So, any Minimig gurus out there willing to register their interest and give us a portable CD32 (+HDMI out through docking station)?
Old 29 October 2020, 17:36   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Good luck in getting one. While i really like the Analogue hardware, the company is taking the most ridiculous way in marketing it. Limited Preorders! They already pissed off a lot of people. And they are doing the same shit later with the new PC-Engine Duo FPGA too.
Old 29 October 2020, 17:53   #31
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Good luck in getting one. While i really like the Analogue hardware, the company is taking the most ridiculous way in marketing it. Limited Preorders! They already pissed off a lot of people. And they are doing the same shit later with the new PC-Engine Duo FPGA too.
Ouch, that sucks so badly!
Old 29 October 2020, 20:19   #32
Higgy

I was originally against potential noise of the MiSTer and thought about just using a heatsink, but I do have a fan and I would also say it is basically soundless. Nothing like a PC

I am pretty sure also that the actual FPGA used in the DE10 kit is industrial grade, so it does have a high temperature rating.
Old 30 October 2020, 08:49   #33
skan
Dream Merchant

OK guys, I got it and I trust you, the Mister IS silent enough to be considered "almost fanless".

I had a look on some resellers' sites and damn... Got another headache! Can't keep track of all the boards and sub-boards to buy in order to get a complete system!
Old 30 October 2020, 10:43   #34
dreadnought

To re-quote myself:

Quote:
32MB SDRAM is enough for everything but some big NeoGeo games (+GBA?).

So, you'll need
-DE10 board
-32SDRAM
-OTG USB hub (powered is best).
-heatsink & fan

Overall~ 150E

You can also buy I/O board and USB board but these are expensive and not really needed. Better get 128SDRAM if you have spare funds.
As an aside, you guys really have some bat-like ears. Never mind MiSTer, I can't even hear my PC
Old 30 October 2020, 10:53   #35
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
To re-quote myself:

As an aside, you guys really have some bat-like ears. Never mind MiSTer, I can't even hear my PC
Yeah, I admit I may be a little obsessed about this, but fan noise (even minimal) drives me crazy sometimes and I do need "zen" silence!

Back on topic, I suspect I'd be more around 200-250€ for the setup I have in mind (digital+analog video out, low latency joystick ports, 128MB... a machine to rule them all!)
Old 30 October 2020, 12:03   #36
dreadnought

Analog video can be achieved by using Direct Video function, so you only need to buy a cheap DAC for that (under 10E). Plus a VGA cable, but that's needed with I/O board as well.

The low-latency solutions (Blisster etc) can cost a bit, though I'm not sure they really make difference, given the overall low-lag of MiSTer itself (especially if you output to a CRT). I guess this is an equivalent of audiophile zone
Old 30 October 2020, 13:20   #37
robinsonb5

Yet another option to consider - as if there weren't enough already - Stephen Jones from the Checkmate A1500 case project is testing a Mini-ITX UnAmiga variant.
Old 30 October 2020, 15:05   #38
sittingduck

Quote:
RPi: no, thanks!
Nothing beats the real thing, but I find Amiberry quite good on my Pi 3. It works great with whdload. What is it about a Pi you don't like?
Old 30 October 2020, 15:56   #39
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
I guess this is an equivalent of audiophile zone
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck View Post
Nothing beats the real thing, but I find Amiberry quite good on my Pi 3. It works great with whdload. What is it about a Pi you don't like?
Linux. Until we have a proper, zero-hassle baremetal 68k+UAE solution, I'm not interested.
Maybe that's "zealot-audiophile-zone" too for some of you, but it's more "mp3 vs. flac" zone to me!
Old 05 November 2020, 20:34   #40
sittingduck

Quote:
Good point!

Linux. Until we have a proper, zero-hassle baremetal 68k+UAE solution, I'm not interested.
Maybe that's "zealot-audiophile-zone" too for some of you, but it's more "mp3 vs. flac" zone to me!
Yeah, but if you transcode all those 128 kbit mp3's to 320 kbit it really stomps all over the flacs at half the size