English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 19 November 2023, 20:44   #1
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

"Asymmetric" DPF: possible?

Is it possible to create a DPF screen with different bitdepth for back and front planes? For example 3 bit for the front plane and only 1 for the back.

Any approach is ok, until it works.
Old 19 November 2023, 20:47   #2
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH View Post
Is it possible to create a DPF screen with different bitdepth for back and front planes? For example 3 bit for the front plane and only 1 for the back.

Any approach is ok, until it works.
No, playfields are always separated into odd and even.

So:

--- OCS/ECS
1: 1
2: 1 - 1
3: 2 - 1
4: 2 - 2
5: 3 - 2
6: 3 - 3
--- AGA
7: 4 - 3
8: 4 - 4
Old 19 November 2023, 21:19   #3
a/b

Exactly, because you can only specify how many active bitplanes are there in total (bugs excluded :P). So e.g. 5 could mean 3/2 or 4/1, and to avoid ambiguity (and some internal HW design limitations, perhaps) the rule is always N/N if even and N/(N-1) if odd.
If you really need other combos, single playfield and split the palette and bitplanes manually as needed. It won't give you all the features of DPF (e.g. scrolling per playfield), but in some cases it might suffice. Depends what you are doing.
Old 19 November 2023, 21:19   #4
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

@ross:
I don't understand. Why is that a problem? The bitplanes' pointers can be set individually; isn't there a trick or anything which makes the Amiga read less bitplanes for the back, than the front or vice versa? It is not a problem, if the bitplane pointer is used, until the memory and the time of reading the non-used bitplanes are spared.

@a/b:
Bugs excluded? Is there a HW bug which allows this?
Old 19 November 2023, 21:37   #5
AestheticDebris

@TCH No, it's just a fundamental limitation of DPF on the Amiga. Of course you could always leave a bitplane empty if you want to reduce how much blitting you need to do, but you still have to pay the DMA price for it.
Old 19 November 2023, 21:45   #6
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
@ross:
I don't understand. Why is that a problem?
Not a problem per se, the bitplane pointers are all separate, but then color management must be done carefully and the two playfields cannot use separate hardware scroll.
DPF is a convenience provided by the chipset to make life easier, but it lacks support for a defined management of how to allocate the bitplanes (they are distributed equally between even and odd).
See everything a/b wrote.

Quote:
Bugs excluded? Is there a HW bug which allows this?
No, if you select 7 planes in OCS/ECS, Denise see it as a 6 planes display, but Agnus only fetches 4 of it.
Old 19 November 2023, 22:13   #7
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AestheticDebris View Post
@TCH No, it's just a fundamental limitation of DPF on the Amiga. Of course you could always leave a bitplane empty if you want to reduce how much blitting you need to do, but you still have to pay the DMA price for it.
Cannot i disable the reading of the unused bitplane during the screen is beamed to the monitor via Copper, or anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Not a problem per se, the bitplane pointers are all separate, but then color management must be done carefully and the two playfields cannot use separate hardware scroll.
Why? If a bitplane is unused, then it will not affect colors or scrolling. Or you mean, it's impossible to make it unused? If yes, if the entire plane is zeroed out, then it still will not affect colors (zeros will not add to the index) and scrolling a plane of zeroes is invisible, right? Or you meant something else?
Quote:
DPF is a convenience provided by the chipset to make life easier, but it lacks support for a defined management of how to allocate the bitplanes (they are distributed equally between even and odd).
See everything a/b wrote.
That's okay, but cannot i prevent the machine reading a bitplane, when the screen is beamed to the monitor?
Quote:
No, if you select 7 planes in OCS/ECS, Denise see it as a 6 planes display, but Agnus only fetches 4 of it.
But it will be still divided to 3-3 and 2-2, right?

Sorry, if i ask stupid questions, but i do not know the hardware that deep to see clearly.
Old 19 November 2023, 22:26   #8
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Cannot i disable the reading of the unused bitplane during the screen is beamed to the monitor via Copper, or anything else?
No.
This also answers the next two questions.
Even if you completely zero the bitplane you would still have the data fetch.
So what would be the point of having 3+1, if you would have to fetch 5 planes anyway?

EDIT: in fact there are uses for this case (especially for effects in demos), but you must be perfectly aware of the strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think they are what you need because I imagine you would like to do this division to reduce DMA traffic

Quote:
But it will be still divided to 3-3 and 2-2, right?
It's divided 3+3, it's Denise that handle DPF (planes 5 and 6 use static BPLxDAT).
This isn't how this 'bug' is usually used anyway, we're getting off topic

Last edited by ross; 19 November 2023 at 22:40.
Old 19 November 2023, 22:40   #9
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

Quote:
No.
This also answers the next two questions.
Even if you completely zero the bitplane you would still have the data fetch.
So what would be the point of having 3+1, if you would have to fetch 5 planes anyway?
Absolutely nothing. That was my question, if the fetch is inevitable or not. If it is, then it is pointless, asymmetric DPF is not possible. Too bad.
Quote:
It's divided 3+3, it's Denise that handle DPF (planes 5 and 6 use static BPLxDAT).
This isn't how this 'bug' is usually used anyway, we're getting off topic
Okay, i think we are finished anyway.

Thanks for the answers guys.

EDIT:
Quote:
EDIT: in fact there are uses for this case (especially for effects in demos), but you must be perfectly aware of the strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think they are what you need because I imagine you would like to do this division to reduce DMA traffic
Yep, that was my aim.