English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 10 August 2017, 10:37   #1
hb1981

Gotek not working

Hello,

I bought a Amiga 2000 last week with a gotek drive in it, but i just cannot get it to work

what i do: I format the USB flashdrive to fat32 4096bytes copy the selector file to it and some adf files.

The Gotek Jumps from --- to 000 when i insert the drive, but the LED on the drive stays out so it recognizes the drive but somehow doesnt boot / read from it?

I tried like 5 or 6 different usb sticks. Checked the jumper on the drive, checked the cables. I ran out of things to do.

did anyone had the same issue?
Old 10 August 2017, 11:07   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

Are you sure the Gotek has the Cortex firmware installed? The original firmware cannot be used with Amigas.
In any case, I would suggest you change the firmware to FlashFloppy (free) or HxC (€10) since the Cortex firmware has several issues and is no longer maintained.

FlashFloppy:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88002

HxC:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78079
Old 10 August 2017, 11:17   #3
hb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Are you sure the Gotek has the Cortex firmware installed? The original firmware cannot be used with Amigas.
In any case, I would suggest you change the firmware to FlashFloppy (free) or HxC (€10) since the Cortex firmware has several issues and is no longer maintained.

FlashFloppy:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88002

HxC:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78079

first of all, thanks for your reply!

Yes it has cortex firmware 1.05 installed on it (or the newest)
i have ordered a USB to TTL cable to flash the drive i will try the other firmwares. maybe i will buy the HXC since i just cannot get this to work
Old 10 August 2017, 11:24   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

Personally I really like HxC and think it's worth every €, however it is hard to beat something that's free and while I haven't tried FlashFloppy, it seems like it is working quite nicely by now.

Regarding your Gotek, which drive is it set to? Check the D0/D1 jumpers. Try changing the drive number to see if it shows up in the system.
Are you using the Gotek together with a regular floppy drive or is it supposed to work as a single drive?

Edit: If you search in the threads, there is a way to flash the firmware without using a USB-TTL cable but only using a USB cable. Then you do not have to wait.
Old 10 August 2017, 11:31   #5
hb1981

I have checked the jumper it was set on D0 it is next to a second drive but that is not working since i use the 1.3 rom in my amiga and i think i should use 3.1? i dont have a harddisk in it with workbench etc..

I really have no experience with a 2000 this is my first. I always have had a 500 and still own it but wanted a 2000 because it would be more convenient on my desk and a friend of mine had one when i was young

i will search for updating it with a usb cable in the threads!
Old 10 August 2017, 11:37   #6
Bprepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb1981 View Post

i will search for updating it with a usb cable in the threads!
If/when you find it please post a link, just received my first gotek and want to move to a better firmware as well. Cheers
Old 10 August 2017, 11:38   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

A 2000 is pretty much the same as a 500 but with more expansion slots.
I don't remember if the Gotek is supposed to be set to D0 or D1 if running as DF0. I would try letting the Gotek being the only drive on the cable and trying both D0 and D1 settings to see if it can boot selector.adf in either setting.

If you want to use WB on it, I would also suggest you get KS3.1 on it and some accelerator or at least a fast ram expansion. The cheap solution could be something like Kipper2k's 8MB RAM+CF adapter which will give you 8MB fast ram plus a CF card slot so you can use CF cards as a HDD. In the other end you have the Vampire500 which is a really fast accelerator (faster than 060) with 128MB memory, RTG with HDMI output and some other stuff.
Old 10 August 2017, 12:36   #8
hb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bprepared View Post
If/when you find it please post a link, just received my first gotek and want to move to a better firmware as well. Cheers
i found this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84224

but i dont own a usb a to a cable. And at my work they dont have it either (IT company)

so i think i will wait for the usb to TTL cable
Old 10 August 2017, 12:37   #9
hb1981

Quote:
A 2000 is pretty much the same as a 500 but with more expansion slots.
I don't remember if the Gotek is supposed to be set to D0 or D1 if running as DF0. I would try letting the Gotek being the only drive on the cable and trying both D0 and D1 settings to see if it can boot selector.adf in either setting.

If you want to use WB on it, I would also suggest you get KS3.1 on it and some accelerator or at least a fast ram expansion. The cheap solution could be something like Kipper2k's 8MB RAM+CF adapter which will give you 8MB fast ram plus a CF card slot so you can use CF cards as a HDD. In the other end you have the Vampire500 which is a really fast accelerator (faster than 060) with 128MB memory, RTG with HDMI output and some other stuff.
It seems like Kippers site is down, or partly down? the Vampire500 seems like a nice card as well but i think it will be overkill for what i would use it for

Just basic gaming and basic programs. A Kipper2k would be enough.
So i will look for that one and a 3.1 rom chip
Old 10 August 2017, 23:58   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

Yes, the Kipper2k board + KS 3.1 is a good combo. You could also install a 68010 CPU for improved WHDload quit key support (and a slight theoretical speed increase ). They are quite cheap on ebay.

I also don't think Kipper2k sells them any longer. He retired (or is taking a break) from building the various boards, but they regularly come up 2nd hand e.g. on Amibay so you could maybe find one there.

For the basic stuff that you want I would also agree that a Vampire is way overkill.

Too bad the ACA500plus cannot be installed in an A2000, otherwise that would probably be my suggestion as you get all the bases covered in one product for a decent price.
Old 11 August 2017, 09:03   #11
hb1981

Quote:
Yes, the Kipper2k board + KS 3.1 is a good combo. You could also install a 68010 CPU for improved WHDload quit key support (and a slight theoretical speed increase ). They are quite cheap on ebay.

I also don't think Kipper2k sells them any longer. He retired (or is taking a break) from building the various boards, but they regularly come up 2nd hand e.g. on Amibay so you could maybe find one there.

For the basic stuff that you want I would also agree that a Vampire is way overkill.

Too bad the ACA500plus cannot be installed in an A2000, otherwise that would probably be my suggestion as you get all the bases covered in one product for a decent price.

thanks again for the advice! i will search for the board on the 2nd hand market.
Yesterday i tried to flash the drive but somehow it wasnt showing up in my laptop (having put the jumpers in the holes, even soldered them temp.)

Still it will recognize the usb but the disk activity led wont turn on. I dont have floppys to test the drive next to it. But tonight i will connect the gotek to my amiga500 to see if it works in there.

I ordered a second gotek and will flash that one.

But i am starting to doubt if my Amiga is trying to read. Although when i bought it the gu i bought it from demonstrated the Gotek without trouble.
Old 11 August 2017, 23:37   #12
idrougge

Quote:
I have checked the jumper it was set on D0 it is next to a second drive but that is not working since i use the 1.3 rom in my amiga and i think i should use 3.1? i dont have a harddisk in it with workbench etc..
All OS versions support two drives. If the second drive isn't working, check your cables.
Old 11 August 2017, 23:43   #13
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
All OS versions support two drives. If the second drive isn't working, check your cables.
True, but 1.3 will only let you boot from DF0.
Old 14 August 2017, 20:38   #14
hb1981

i have checked the cables but also dont have floppy drives with games or programs. my old amiga 500 is at my mothers house in the storage. I will get the Amiga 500 this week and test the software in the 2000. And test the Gotek in the 500 as well.

Flashing didnt work with the usb part so i will just wait for my extra drive i ordered and flash that one.

for now i will search a kip2k board and a amiga 3.1 rom. and go from there
Old 14 August 2017, 23:16   #15
idrougge

Quote:
True, but 1.3 will only let you boot from DF0.
Bah, I didn't think of that.
Old 18 August 2017, 09:37   #16
hb1981

So, i received a 2nd Gotek yesterday. I flashed it with the flashfloppy firmware. It nicely says F-F when powering up the amiga 2000 and changes to 000 when putting in a USB stick.

So far so good. But still the same problem. It doesnt go any further and the green activity led stays off. I have no floppys to try the original floppydrive but i am thinking that maybe the amiga has trouble communicating with the drive?
Old 18 August 2017, 11:12   #17
supaduper

Quote:
So, i received a 2nd Gotek yesterday. I flashed it with the flashfloppy firmware. It nicely says F-F when powering up the amiga 2000 and changes to 000 when putting in a USB stick.

So far so good. But still the same problem. It doesnt go any further and the green activity led stays off. I have no floppys to try the original floppydrive but i am thinking that maybe the amiga has trouble communicating with the drive?
Just to confirm, you have copied the two files from the config/Amiga folder to the root of the USB stick ? they are:
AUTOBOOT.HFE & HXCSDFE.CFG
Old 18 August 2017, 11:50   #18
hb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Just to confirm, you have copied the two files from the config/Amiga folder to the root of the USB stick ? they are:
AUTOBOOT.HFE & HXCSDFE.CFG

Yes i did. And the Gotek responds to it. Without the USB flashdrive the display says F-F and when i insert it, it changes to 000

So it seems to read the USB, but no green led so no interaction with the Amiga.
Old 19 August 2017, 12:20   #19
fordav1

there are known issues with earlier F-F firmwares relating to exactly the problem you are seeing, so make sure you are running v0.5.0 F-F firmware.
Old 20 August 2017, 17:30   #20
hb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordav1 View Post
there are known issues with earlier F-F firmwares relating to exactly the problem you are seeing, so make sure you are running v0.5.0 F-F firmware.

i bought an amiga 1200 yesterday. put the drive in it and it worked flawless. it has the newest firmware on it. so i am afraid there is something wrong with the 2000

it worked when i picked the machinr up