English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 February 2009, 15:12   #1
CalvinH

US amiga 2000 to UK plug?!

Hey all,

I recently recieved a vintage Amiga 2000 from my uncle, who lives in the United States. However, I live in the United kingdom and our electrical system is very different...

I obviously need some kind of adapter, but I do not wish to break the system. Can anyone here suggest one?

- Calvin
Old 10 February 2009, 15:31   #2
meega

Something like this 100W voltage converter might be enough, but you will likely still need to deal with the 50/60Hz issues.
Old 10 February 2009, 15:35   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Provide a photograph of the rear of the B2000 unit around the PSU. Make it in focus so that it is possible to read any writing. There is a SLIM chance that the PSU has a 110v/220v AC switch

EDIT:I dont think that any A2000 PSU was multi-voltage but still worth reading what it says on the back. If it says 110v or 120vac (with no mention of 220v) then you could either replace the PSU or use a step down voltage adapter as already suggested.

As well as the power you are going to probably need to change the video mode from NTSC to PAL.

If you can work out the revision of your motherboard we might be able to tell you if you can change a jumper to set to PAL (UK TV standard)

Last edited by alexh; 10 February 2009 at 15:44.
Old 10 February 2009, 16:55   #4
CalvinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Provide a photograph of the rear of the B2000 unit around the PSU. Make it in focus so that it is possible to read any writing. There is a SLIM chance that the PSU has a 110v/220v AC switch

EDIT:I dont think that any A2000 PSU was multi-voltage but still worth reading what it says on the back. If it says 110v or 120vac (with no mention of 220v) then you could either replace the PSU or use a step down voltage adapter as already suggested.

As well as the power you are going to probably need to change the video mode from NTSC to PAL.

If you can work out the revision of your motherboard we might be able to tell you if you can change a jumper to set to PAL (UK TV standard)
Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I have had a lot of mixed replies, but most suggest the two options:

• Either buy a step down converter. I have been told this may damage the machine.
  • Replace the PSU with a PC psu (with modification or an adapter).

I know for a fact the machine has been upgraded quite abit and it has a newtek video toaster installed. There seems to be numerous different expansions cards installed and several different outputs for video/monitors. I will post a picture soon.

Will the 50/60hz problem be such an issue? I was going to use the machine with my LCD screen/tv which works fine with the C64/Spectrum/NES etc. Though I do have a commodore model 1701 screen aswell.

I believe that the PSU replacement may be the best option as I do have some working (brand new) ATX power supplies around in my house.
Old 10 February 2009, 16:59   #5
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinH View Post
Replace the PSU with a PC psu (with modification or an adapter).
I believe that the PSU replacement may be the best option as I do have some working (brand new) ATX power supplies around in my house.
I did this with the guide on Stedys website - works great. I even fitted the ATX supply inside the original A2000 PSU case so the switch works as normal. You may even be able to sell your original PSU on eBay to an American looking for a replacement ?
Old 10 February 2009, 17:07   #6
CalvinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
I did this with the guide on Stedys website - works great. I even fitted the ATX supply inside the original A2000 PSU case so the switch works as normal. You may even be able to sell your original PSU on eBay to an American looking for a replacement ?
Do you happen to have a link?
Old 10 February 2009, 17:10   #7
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Everything I needed to know was in this article and the other articles on this site (thanks Stedy! )

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am...SU_to_an_A2000

For me the jumper at U300 was important to as Amiga didn't boot properly without it being changed. I didn't make any kind of adapter - I cut the loom from my old PSU (as it was broken) and wired that to the ATX supply.
Old 10 February 2009, 19:34   #8
DoogUK
Doogster

I enquired about this on A.org as i hasve an american supply in my A2000, apprently they used 2 type of supplys..if it's not the Liteon supply in there there is a jumper inside the supply to convert it to 220v ac....mine sadly has the liteon supply fitted.
Old 10 February 2009, 19:57   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I dont think I need to tell you but anything like this, do it with the kettle lead unplugged.
Old 10 February 2009, 20:00   #10
DoogUK
Doogster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I dont think I need to tell you but anything like this, do it with the kettle lead unplugged.

For a few mins...those supplies can hold some juice
Old 10 February 2009, 20:00   #11
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

And if either supply has been on recently discharge the caps - or learn the hard way

EDIT: Indeed Doogster!
Old 10 February 2009, 22:30   #12
tin

Quote:
I know for a fact the machine has been upgraded quite abit and it has a newtek video toaster installed. There seems to be numerous different expansions cards installed and several different outputs for video/monitors. I will post a picture soon.
Interesting what are they do you know?

(Can't offer any more advice on the power upgrade btw, I converted a AT PSU to my USA A3000 but probably not much help for this 2000)
Old 11 February 2009, 00:29   #13
CalvinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
And if either supply has been on recently discharge the caps - or learn the hard way

EDIT: Indeed Doogster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogUK View Post
For a few mins...those supplies can hold some juice
I'm not open to electrocuting myself, but it's a nice idea. I have decided to replace the PSU with an ATX one. I have been told there are adapters at this site, which can allow you to plug an ATX PSU into the Amiga mobo: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...x.php?cPath=39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin View Post
Interesting what are they do you know?

(Can't offer any more advice on the power upgrade btw, I converted a AT PSU to my USA A3000 but probably not much help for this 2000)

Just for clarification, I have taken a quick glance inside the machine and found the following:

the PSU is a Liton model (Taiwan Electronics). The model number is PA-4201-5A. And the DC is 200W.

The machine has 5 additional PCI cards, each of which I have not yet completely examined. One of the cards is labeled Aria, another Great Valley Products with (VA Max +2 or A Max + 2) and another with Digitial Processing Systems. I believe this unit was used for video editing. I think it also has a 1 Gigabyte harddrive.

The front drive bay is also missing (for the bigger floppies/cd drive at the bottom), which will also need replacing.

I quickly managed to snap some pictures:

The back of the unit:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2623/1010306ac8.jpg (Enlarged Version)

Over head view of the machine:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3867/1010311vy3.jpg (Enlarged Version)
Old 11 February 2009, 00:36   #14
meega

Quote:
The machine has 5 additional PCI cards, each of which I have not yet completely examined.
I seriously doubt that they are PCI ...
Old 11 February 2009, 00:36   #15
CalvinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
I seriously doubt that they are PCI ...
Oh? Hehe, what would they be then? They did seem a little big to me.
Old 11 February 2009, 00:39   #16
meega

Zorro

Also, the one with 1 BNC connector is likely to be an ethernet card, and the one with 5 BNC is quite possibly a Toaster.
Old 11 February 2009, 00:42   #17
CalvinH

Quote:
Zorro

Also, the one with 1 BNC connector is likely to be an ethernet card, and the one with 5 BNC is quite possibly a Toaster.
Oh, so there may be a possibility of internet connection? And yes, I believe it to be a toaster (newtek?).
Old 11 February 2009, 00:49   #18
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Oh, so there may be a possibility of internet connection?
Yep, it's cool getting your A2000 online...do it!

PZ.
Old 11 February 2009, 00:50   #19
meega

Quote:
Oh, so there may be a possibility of internet connection?
Well, network connection at least. The BNC is probably 10Mb/s maximum. There might also be an RJ45 and you might get faster through that (but don't bet on it), it's certainly a more convenient interface though as the cables are still a current standard.
Old 11 February 2009, 00:50   #20
CalvinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Yep, it's cool getting your A2000 online...do it!

PZ.
Is it even possible? I always wanted to try IRC on an amiga/c64.

Quote:
Well, network connection at least. The BNC is probably 10Mb/s maximum. There might also be an RJ45 and you might get faster through that (but don't bet on it), it's certainly a more convenient interface though as the cables are still a current standard.
Yes I do believe it to be RJ45. I just tested it with an ethernet lead.