English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 14 November 2007, 16:29   #41
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yolanda = Steve Bak ; this one known as an atari ST B*tch !

not surprised here
Old 15 November 2007, 11:32   #42
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
well i guess it shows there is no accounting for taste - especially from the germans <joke> - but perhaps you shouldnt be so quick to assume its crap if the views are so polarised? there are still more positive reviews than negative ones.

Personally i trust the long standing and well respected Amiga Format myself - having read the review, i can tell you it is intelligently written and makes very valid points about the game, which i can verify because ive actually played it!

I'd be happy to have a review for the Amiga Games database of the game if anybody wants to write one, (Horace?)
Old 15 November 2007, 11:37   #43
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Sorry for bashing your hit game, Horace. But there are better games which need to WHDfied, like Oil Imperium or Whale's Voyage.

It just goes to show everybody is different. I couldn`t personally see much appeal in Whales Voyage at all, but that's just me. Wipe Out I didn't try for long, but I thought it looked interesting. I could be wrong about both, but I think we should be cautious about saying my game is more deserving than your game.
Old 15 November 2007, 11:41   #44
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I think Codetapper should do the slave as he also did the slave for Top Banana. And that's the crappiest game I've ever seen on any platform. Wipe Out can't be worse than that.
Take a look at Paul Burkey's views of Top Banana on the Amiga Games Database for a different viewpoint.
Old 15 November 2007, 11:43   #45
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
It just goes to show everybody is different. I couldn`t personally see much appeal in Whales Voyage at all, but that's just me. Wipe Out I didn't try for long, but I thought it looked interesting. I could be wrong about both, but I think we should be cautious about saying my game is more deserving than your game.
Careful Angus, that's far too sensible a post
Old 15 November 2007, 11:45   #46
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
You can't compare a RPG with a simple Sports/Actiongame. I talk about technical aspects, and Wipeout sucks in all categories. What a kind of review do you expect from Horace? It will be unobjective for sure.

Whales Voyage is a nice Sci-Fi RPG. Sure, the second part is superior, but it's one of the better games for the miggy.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 15 November 2007 at 12:00.
Old 15 November 2007, 13:18   #47
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
You can't compare a RPG with a simple Sports/Actiongame. I talk about technical aspects, and Wipeout sucks in all categories. What a kind of review do you expect from Horace? It will be unobjective for sure.

Whales Voyage is a nice Sci-Fi RPG. Sure, the second part is superior, but it's one of the better games for the miggy.

Well, one point at a time:

Why would you want to compare an RPG to an Action game. Is one more deserving than the other? Neither of us think so, do we?

In about 4 posts you slagged off WipeOut in a non-technical way, you said the game was "shit", "lousy" etc.

I'm not particuarly after "objective" reviews. If somebody is genuinely enthusiastic about a game, I like that to come across - again that's just my taste. I'm happy to have comments about technical aspects of a game as well, but if you end up with just a technical breakdown of the program's capabilities, and no "feeling" it strikes me as a bit lifeless.

You prefer Whales Voyage 2 to Whales Voyage 1? Really? It just seemd like an unfinished game to me - but maybe the German version is better. In any case, that's just my opinion. I personally like "strange" and unusual games to be patched, things like Gravity, Debut and Shuttle. But that's just me.
Old 15 November 2007, 13:23   #48
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

why would my view be unobjective anyway? thata's incredibly presumptuous to say, although i'll probably get accused of starting an arguement just for defending myself here.

its nice to see someone is less dismissiveof other people's differning opinions Angus. It's a breath of fresh air.

i'll write you a review if you let me know how long youd like it
Old 15 November 2007, 13:37   #49
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

You prefer Whales Voyage 2 to Whales Voyage 1? Really? It just seemd like an unfinished game to me - but maybe the German version is better. In any case, that's just my opinion. I personally like "strange" and unusual games to be patched, things like Gravity, Debut and Shuttle. But that's just me.
Can't tell anything about the english version of Whale's Voyage II, but i bought the german game in 1995 and played through it without any flaws.

Well, the english version wasn't released, hardly surprising that it's probably looking a bit unfinished. If you check the laughable english reviews it seems so.

Quote:

In about 4 posts you slagged off WipeOut in a non-technical way, you said the game was "shit", "lousy" etc.
I wrote at least this, and it's a fact.

Quote:
Have you played it, girv? I assume you like the slow, jerky and ugly graphics, the crappy controls, the useless mini radar......

Quote:
I'm not particuarly after "objective" reviews.
All unobjective reviews are useless reviews.

I could write that Civilization is a really bad game and praising Brattacas to the skies. How useful are these POV reviews for other guys?

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 15 November 2007 at 14:26.
Old 15 November 2007, 14:31   #50
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
I could write that Civilization is a really bad game and praising Brattacas to the skies. How useful are these POV reviews for other guys?
But they would be your opinions. So if you wrote a review saying that Brattacas is really bad, that would be more useful than one saying that it's good?

If you come on here writing a review saying you liked Brattacas and why you liked it, I wouldn't agree with you but that doesn't mean I wouldn't find your reasons and opinions interesting and I wouldn't totally dismiss them out of hand.
Old 15 November 2007, 14:35   #51
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

RN, your comments look like nothing more than arguement hunting.

i'm certainly not going to oblige if that's what you are after.

for the record, Amiga Power wrote brilliant reviews and a lot of people didnt agree with them.

Quote:
I wrote at least this, and it's a fact.
no, it's an opinion.
Old 15 November 2007, 14:38   #52
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
So if you wrote a review saying that Brattacas is really bad, that would be more useful than one saying that it's good?
Of course, it's prevents that people even trying to play this REALLY shitty game. I don't lie to somebody, it's better than praising it to the skies.

Quote:
If you come on here writing a review saying you liked Brattacas and why you liked it, I wouldn't agree with you but that doesn't mean I wouldn't find your reasons and opinions interesting and I wouldn't totally dismiss them out of hand.
There are enough mediocre games, where you can find something appealing/interesting, but not in this Brattacas case.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 15 November 2007 at 14:44.
Old 15 November 2007, 14:44   #53
Graham Humphrey

I think you misunderstood me slightly - I was only using Brattacas as an example. I know you don't really like it, I was saying that you did just for the sake of argument
Old 15 November 2007, 14:48   #54
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I think you misunderstood me slightly - I was only using Brattacas as an example. I know you don't really like it, I was saying that you did just for the sake of argument
Then let's discuss us about other games. Wipe Out, Brattacas, Top Banana, Yolanda... are boring or badly programmed games. List some other games and i will find nice pro arguments for them.
Old 15 November 2007, 14:51   #55
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

just becuase one person (you Retro-Nerd) thinks its shitty, or a review says its good, surely people should be able to form their own judgement rather than being told what to think? Your opinion is not law, and people have their own minds and can make their own judgements, which (OMG!) might -actually- be different from yours.

i'd rather play a game and decide for myslef that i dont like it, than read some overly negative review and not bother.

Sensible Golf got some pretty lousey reviews, but i'ts a great game. It's jsut that it requires you to have some mates to actually get to enjoy its full potential. Wipe Out has some wonderful qualities to it, which you simply refuse to see becasue you wont look past the graphics & music that is not to your taste. oh and you probably hate it so passionately because i say i like it.

anyway, could such a debate about opinion / reviews / game-standards perhaps be taken out of the Wipe Out thread?
Old 15 November 2007, 17:16   #56
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
its nice to see someone is less dismissiveof other people's differning opinions Angus. It's a breath of fresh air.

i'll write you a review if you let me know how long youd like it

Nice one. I try to get people to submit a text file which is 2k or more, but its not written in stone or anything.
Old 15 November 2007, 17:25   #57
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:

All unobjective reviews are useless reviews.

Newspapers are supposed to supply objective information. I prefer people's feelings, emotions and enthusiasm.

If you told me what you liked/disliked about those games it would probably be useful, and maybe entertaining. It wouldn`t matter if I agreed with you or not. I'd be interested in your opinion.
Old 15 November 2007, 17:27   #58
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:

anyway, could such a debate about opinion / reviews / game-standards perhaps be taken out of the Wipe Out thread?

The other thing is that a WHDLoad patch might speed up the graphics and make it a smoother more enjoyable experience - even for Retro-Nerd.
Old 15 November 2007, 17:28   #59
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

If you told me what you liked/disliked about those games it would probably be useful, and maybe entertaining. It wouldn`t matter if I agreed with you or not. I'd be interested in your opinion.
It's ok, i understand what you've meant. But you should call them "personal reports" then, not reviews.

Quote:
The other thing is that a WHDLoad patch might speed up the graphics and make it a smoother more enjoyable experience - even for Retro-Nerd.
Sure, if the potential slave coder replaces the grahics, sound and controls too. But then we have a new game.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 15 November 2007 at 17:36.
Old 15 November 2007, 17:53   #60
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

nothing wrong with the controls.

fire to jump, up to accellerate, down to brake, left and right to move left / right. going slower the turning circle is smaller. (pretty logical)

i can understand if you dont like the music, and maybe you dont like the graphical style (which i have no problem with - it's of its time) - but i really dont understand the controls thing.

maybe if someone isnt very good at racing-type games, they blame the control system

Angus: i'll get to work on it then. the sooner my laptop arrives, the sooner you'll get it

i'll PM you when its ready.