English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 April 2021, 11:44   #1
dlsa

Have Gotek, but it boots to CF HD

Hi fellow amigans,

I installed a Gotek in my Amiga600 (which has a Furia accelerator and an extra 1MB of chip ram). When I put a USB stick in it, and turn on the power, it boots into the Hard drive, and an icon appears as DF0:?.

Why does it not boot to an adf on the stick ?

Thanks,
Regards
Old 07 April 2021, 11:57   #2
supaduper

Look at the jumper on the Gotek it should be on S0 I think or S1 cant remember which one so try that and it should boot
Old 07 April 2021, 14:49   #3
dlsa

Its in S0. But from what I read that jumper just selects between the first or the second floppy drives. DH0 or DH1.
If you already have the original disk drive and want to add the Gotek as a second drive then you put the jumper in S1.

Thanks,
Regards
Old 07 April 2021, 16:51   #4
solarmon

Most of the time, the Gotek should be jumpered on S0, especially if it is connected to the internal floppy drive connector as DF0.

(You are confusing DH0/DH1 with DF0/DF1)

What does your LED/OLED screen say when you power on?

Have you got your USB stick formatted as FAT32? What ADF files have you put on it?

What firmware are you using - Cortex, HxC or FlashFloppy. Or is it using the stock Gotek firmware (that isn't compatible with the Amiga).
Old 08 April 2021, 23:47   #5
dlsa

Hi,
The LED of the floppy drive is always on. Is that normal ?
When I boot without a USB stick in the Gotek is stays always with 'F-F' which I think is normal.
When I use a stick that I have around that works on a A500, it starts in 'F-F', then displays ' 0_' and finally '001', wich is an IDF on the USB drive. But it boots into workbench and shows DF0:? as the floppy drive name.

Thanks,
Regards
Old 09 April 2021, 01:41   #6
ubermick

Is it possible that the .adf file you’re trying to boot from is invalid/corrupt? I’m assuming you’ve tried booting from a different .adf?
Old 09 April 2021, 18:36   #7
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsa View Post
The LED of the floppy drive is always on. Is that normal ?
Be 100% sure you have not plugged the cable backwards. It's easy to do as it's not keyed. Pin1 on the motherboard should go to pin 1 on the gotek.
Old 12 April 2021, 00:10   #8
dlsa

Hi,
I checked the cable as you suggested. I had the connector one pin to the left of the connector. I connected it properly and it all works as expected.
One question : Can I boot into workbench on the CF card, and then insert a usb stick and access the file system ?
Thanks,
Regards
Old 12 April 2021, 08:56   #9
Jope
-

Yes. Or if your gotek has a non-bootable adf inserted, it will also boot off the HD. Perhaps configure the gotek to start with a disk ejected on power up, so you don't have to remove your USB drive or manually eject/select adfs all the time.
Old 12 April 2021, 10:19   #10
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsa View Post
Hi,
I checked the cable as you suggested. I had the connector one pin to the left of the connector. I connected it properly and it all works as expected.
One question : Can I boot into workbench on the CF card, and then insert a usb stick and access the file system ?
Thanks,
Regards
The Gotek is a floppy drive emulator. You use disk image files that are seen as floppy disks by the Amiga. You can't access the USB file storage directly.
Old 01 June 2021, 14:32   #11
tFt

I also have this problem that the Gotek won't boot, and shows up as DF0:? in Workbench.
However I have all cables correct and the latest flash floppy firmware.

But I do have an Apollo1260/66Mhz 32Mb card installed, and when I remove it, the Gotek works. I've also tested the Gotek in my A600 and it works there aswell.

I've installed BetterWB and the correct 060 libs and CPU60 command in Startup-Sequence.

Any idea? The Apollo making some sort of conflict with the Gotek or floppy controller?
Unfortunately I don't have a working internal FloppyDrive I can test with to eliminate if it's a controller conflict. (I do have a external floppy drive though, but have not tested with this yet)
Old 12 June 2021, 20:49   #12
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

Surely, if you have an HD with an OS on it, you would expect to boot into that first, rather than a floppy (or .adf from a Gotek)?
To expect different, wouldn't your Startup-Sequence have to expect DF0 before DH0?
Old 12 June 2021, 20:51   #13
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

If you hold both mouse buttns down on boot to go into early boot menu, you can choose which device to boot from