English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System > Coders. Scripting

Old 08 January 2019, 11:38   #1
solarmon

AmigaDOS command - CUT

Hi,

I would like to use the 'Cut' command as described at:

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaO..._Reference#CUT

This is not an internal command, but I can't find command this in the C: directory of my ClassicWB-LITE setup. And I can't seem to find it on Aminet.

I've noticed that another command that is listed in this Wiki was also missing - 'Foreach', but I did manage to eventually find it on Aminet (http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/finkelshelltoo).

Is there a good repository of the AmigaDOS commands listed in wiki? Other than setting up the other ClassicWB versions and checking. But I found that these other versions - P96 and OS39 - did not have the 'Foreach' command in them either. I have not yet tried setting up ClassicWB FULL, ADV and ADVSP to check for these commands.

Cheers!
Old 08 January 2019, 13:14   #2
solarmon

Hi,

I've got a workaround for now.

I wanted the CUT version as documented in wiki, which processes 'strings', but I found this CUT version on aminet which processes 'files':

http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/ksc_Cut

Since I was looking to use CUT on environment variables, and I am/can accessing these variables as 'files' in ENV: or RAM:, then it can be used in a similar way.

So this CUT command from aminet will do for now - although I had to still figure out how to get the length of the string/file and ended up using 'LIST' with the lformat 'L%' option (Prints the length of the file in bytes). (If there is a better way of doing this then please let me know)

I would still like to know a good resource for the AmigaDOS mentioned in the wiki.

Cheers!

Last edited by solarmon; 08 January 2019 at 14:49.
Old 08 January 2019, 14:33   #3
daxb

I think the problem is that the command are OS4 only? At least I guess so. For OS3 the AmigaDOS book is a good reference. Some cut down DOS command list/description can be found on Aminet.

A better way of string manipulation can be achieved with https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_ARexx A good offline ARexx reverence is ARexxGuide: http://aminet.net/search?query=arexxguide There you can find a section of string manipulation. It is much more powerful.
Old 08 January 2019, 14:47   #4
solarmon

Hi daxb,

Yes, on the main page, it does state that it is for AmigaOS 4.0 and beyond:

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Main_Page

I wish it stated this on their AmigaDOS command page itself too!

I'm looking to use these commands in a minimal startup-sequence and setup (as part of a WHDLoad launcher) - so I probably don't want at add too much to it? Do you know what are the minimum requirements to support ARexx scripting?

Cheers!
Old 08 January 2019, 15:05   #5
daxb

Requirements: More or less RexxMast running. See also https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaO...etting_Started In Libs should be rexxsyslib.library and rexxsupport.library. On an OS3 install they already exists.That's all. Of course you can use more libraries but not needed.
Old 08 January 2019, 16:35   #6
solarmon

Thanks for the pointers!

If I get really stuck on using standard AmigaOS commands (that might just be down to inexperience) then I'll take a look at Arexx.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!
Old 08 January 2019, 17:23   #7
jPV

You can use the Echo command on OS3.x setups for the same. At least on OS3.9, not that sure about 3.1 or so... but take a look at the documentation for example here (check the FIRST and LEN options to cut a substring).
Old 08 January 2019, 20:25   #8
solarmon

Yes, I eventually did realise that ECHO had these FIRST and LEN options. I still need to get the length of the string/file because I wanted to strip the last character from the string/file. (Is there a better way to get the length of a string/file than using List?)

But, using the internal ECHO command might be technically quicker than using an external command? So I might change my script to make use of ECHO instead. And it is one less command that I need to put in C:.

Cheers!
Old 09 January 2019, 02:15   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Hi,
I would like to use the 'Cut' command as described at:

This is not an internal command, but I can't find command this in the C: directory of my ClassicWB-LITE setup. And I can't seem to find it on Aminet.
If I can serve in C I have a command "cut", see screnshot

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Cut.zip

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 January 2019 at 19:08.
Old 09 January 2019, 10:16   #10
solarmon

@AMIGASYSTEM,

The CUT command was missing because this seems to only be on OS 4.0 and above.

Cheers!

Last edited by solarmon; 09 January 2019 at 13:09.
Old 09 January 2019, 10:36   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

No, the screnshot system is OS 3.9 , successfully tested the cut command also with OS 2.x and 3.x
Old 09 January 2019, 12:17   #12
Daedalus

But it's not part of a standard 3.9, 3.x or 2.x installation. The OP had already added a separate replacement version of the CUT command.
Old 09 January 2019, 12:51   #13
daxb

Quote:
I still need to get the length of the string/file because I wanted to strip the last character from the string/file. (Is there a better way to get the length of a string/file than using List?)
For example:
Code:
rx "say LENGHT('hello')"
rx "say LEFT('hello', 4)"
Code:
rx "say LEFT('hello', LENGTH('hello')-1)"
or
rx "str='hello'; say LEFT(str, LENGTH(str)-1)"
Old 09 January 2019, 13:44   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
But it's not part of a standard 3.9, 3.x or 2.x installation. The OP had already added a separate replacement version of the CUT command.
I did not say it's part, i just said it works with 3.x or 2.x
Old 09 January 2019, 14:33   #15
jPV

Quote:
Yes, I eventually did realise that ECHO had these FIRST and LEN options. I still need to get the length of the string/file because I wanted to strip the last character from the string/file. (Is there a better way to get the length of a string/file than using List?)
Yea, I guess List is the way to go without 3rd party programs or ARexx. Not that elegant, but works at least.

Quote:
But, using the internal ECHO command might be technically quicker than using an external command? So I might change my script to make use of ECHO instead. And it is one less command that I need to put in C:.
Yes, it's quicker, if that matters. I also like to do things with the default stuff in the OS rather than with 3rd party programs.. especially if I'm going to share my scripts anywhere some day, better have as little dependencies as possible.