English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 July 2022, 09:55   #1
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

When was the last time you played Speedball (the original)?

Yes, of course, we all know that the second one is an immortal legend. Though back then, I remember playing part 1 quite extensively as well. In the last weeks, I played both again, in order. The match music in the first is amazing! I wish they had kept up this level for the second. That aside, though, I must admit that it did pale quite a bit in comparison to the second. It's now more of a curiosity. What do you think?
Old 09 July 2022, 11:23   #2
dreadnought

Ha, clever question I can, somewhat boastfully, answer it with "within the last month or so".

Yeah, I do it sometimes, but the truth is, it usually ends rather quickly with me thinking "Well, this is pretty cool, but why am I playing this when I could be playing the sequel instead?"
Old 09 July 2022, 11:38   #3
Jami
Bruno

2020 !

I have played a lot Speedball 1 when it was released. It was really one of the best game I had !
Back then, it did not suffer the comparison with Speedball 2, which I really like too.

However, I like Speedball 1 music better. It is nearly as good as Xenon 2 music. David Whittaker really did a great job !
And the difficulty is more challenging than Speedball 2. I have never finished Speedball 1. I tried again in 2020 and I am still looking for some tips
Speedball 1 is more arcade oriented : no need to train, buy or sell players. You just enjoy the matches listening to its great soundtrack !
Old 09 July 2022, 14:29   #4
ZEUSDAZ

SB1 for me any day, far better music, full screen overscan (which is very unusual with Bitmap games, even CE1 wasn't full screen and that was 1993!), and played better imo than SB2.

Xenon 2 music sucked, boring and constantly looped, Hybris music was a work of art in comparison.
Old 09 July 2022, 19:37   #5
Weasel Fierce

2 years ago or so? It's a good game but I do prefer the gameplay and overall package of the second one.
Old 09 July 2022, 20:15   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Over 10 years ago. But I haven't played the second one (except for a few painful minutes of the 'HD' remake) for that time either. Might be an idea to revisit them both.
Old 09 July 2022, 21:13   #7
Dunny

Unpopular opinion: Speedball was better than Speedball 2. Better music, better graphical style, better gameplay. I love it and play it regularly.

I played the sequel once. Never again.
Old 09 July 2022, 23:16   #8
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Must admit never played Speedball 1 or for that matter Xenon 1.
Old 10 July 2022, 06:06   #9
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Unpopular opinion: Speedball was better than Speedball 2. Better music, better graphical style, better gameplay. I love it and play it regularly.

I played the sequel once. Never again.
I don't know If it is that unpopular opinion reading other comments. I've also played 1 much more than 2. Especially with two players. Somehow never got into 2 when it came out.

I haven't played either of them properly in years, but had a quick look at 1 couple of years ago.
Old 10 July 2022, 19:52   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The first one I actually never played. The second one I only played recently for the first time. Sports games are not really my thing, even if they're fictitious sport games with a lot of violence
Old 10 July 2022, 20:14   #11
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I'm relieved that the first still has some fans. I myself also kept claiming for many, many years it is actually the better game of the two. Changed my mind, but it nevertheless kept a special place in my heart.
Old 10 July 2022, 20:43   #12
LeCaravage

Can't remember the last time I played it.
Don't know objectively which one from 1 or 2 is better but I prefer the 1.
Music is excellent and fits well the brutality of the game. The graphics, sort of neo futuristic baroque style approach more the 1975 movie "Roller Ball".
The 2 is a good game for sure, but the graphics are more mainstream with his American Comic style.
To summarize, the 1 is more Bad-ass.
Old 11 July 2022, 06:23   #13
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I love Dave Whitakers music. It's a lot of it reused in that style he did but something like Speedball still managing to sound unique within that. Glider Rider is very distinct. The Sentinel and Archipelagos are eerily good as well

And yes Speedball was a nice taste of what was to come but it's very stripped down enough that you have to imagine there wasn't a Speedball2. I do remember being very impressed at the time though with the whole thing especially the graphics