English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 March 2005, 13:27   #1
UncleJimbo

Question WinUAE widescreen resolution problem

Hi guys,

I've had a search through the forum for all resolution issues but I don't think I've seen this one yet.

I'm running WinUAE 0.9.92 on my HTPC at a widescreen resolution of 848x480. Generally speaking WinUAE does a great job of centering the sizing the image. The really wierd thing I've noticed though is that ANY time I hit F12 to go to the GUI the resolution is ALWAYS reversed to 480x848. It doesn't matter how many times I set it or save a config, if I forget to set it back to the correct res every single time I close the GUI it tries to change to this new res and promptly crashes my display driver.... usually resulting in me having to reboot.

I can only assume that WinUAE isn't used to this custom resolution although how/why it's coming up with 480x848 is anyones guess

Has anyone else encountered this, have any ideas how to fix it or any suggestions on how I should go about reporting it as a bug?

Thanks,

Dave.

Old 04 March 2005, 15:46   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You mean the fullscreen display-mode menu shows 480x848 (instead of 848x480) or do you mean the windowed-mode resolution boxes?
Old 04 March 2005, 18:04   #3
UncleJimbo

Sorry, I did forget to mention. I'm running full-screen [always]. I run WinUAE 0.9.92 on my other PC at fullscreen but with standard resolutions and I don't have this problem. It's only when running at the non-standard 848x480.

It's wierd - it's like the WinUAE GUI interface doesn't save my chosen res at all... maybe it thinks it's invalid?

Old 05 March 2005, 00:28   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Resolution list is generated by display driver without any special processing.

Maybe buggy display driver (btw, display driver IS buggy if it crashes when asked for non-existing resolutions..)

Have you tried newer or older display driver versions?

Attach or email your winuaebootlog.txt, thanks.
Old 06 March 2005, 19:07   #5
UncleJimbo

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the display drivers were to blame. The PC in question is a VIA M10000 motherboard with intergreated S3 video. The drivers have always been pretty poor for it but I'm running the latest ones and I don't really have a choice about it.... my BIOS requires this current set of drivers.

Actuallly I have to admit I was slightly wrong with my initial post... I actually have 2 problems that are display related:

1. As mentioned above, WinUAE forgets my 848x480 res whenever I change tabs in the GUI. BUT... if I forget to set it to the correct res it does *not* crash my machine... WinUAE errors and quits gracefully.

2. What actually crashes my machine/display drivers/WinUAE is playing a game for a length of time... usually 5-10 minutes is enough. The game will slow down all of a sudden and then grind to a halt. Sound will often loop in the background and the display will freeze. After another minute or so a Windows error message pops up saying the display driver has stopped responding and I have to reboot. The screen is running something like 640x480 @ 16 colours... a hard reset is the only cure.

I know there's probably nothing that can be done for my 2nd problem, but if anything could fix my first problem that would be great! I've attached my winuaebootlog.txt...
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (6.9 KB, 216 views)

Old 09 March 2005, 06:32   #6
Fackamato

Send a message via MSN to Fackamato
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJimbo
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the display drivers were to blame. The PC in question is a VIA M10000 motherboard with intergreated S3 video. The drivers have always been pretty poor for it but I'm running the latest ones and I don't really have a choice about it.... my BIOS requires this current set of drivers.

Actuallly I have to admit I was slightly wrong with my initial post... I actually have 2 problems that are display related:

1. As mentioned above, WinUAE forgets my 848x480 res whenever I change tabs in the GUI. BUT... if I forget to set it to the correct res it does *not* crash my machine... WinUAE errors and quits gracefully.

2. What actually crashes my machine/display drivers/WinUAE is playing a game for a length of time... usually 5-10 minutes is enough. The game will slow down all of a sudden and then grind to a halt. Sound will often loop in the background and the display will freeze. After another minute or so a Windows error message pops up saying the display driver has stopped responding and I have to reboot. The screen is running something like 640x480 @ 16 colours... a hard reset is the only cure.

I know there's probably nothing that can be done for my 2nd problem, but if anything could fix my first problem that would be great! I've attached my winuaebootlog.txt...

This sounds like the graphics card of the CPU overheating. But I'm probably wrong.
Old 13 March 2005, 17:37   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Fullscreen resolution reseting to first in resolution list fixed (can only happen if resolution is very unstandard = for example height is larger than width)