English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 December 2022, 22:50   #281
jotd
This cat is no more

... and you tackled mostly the good ones.
Old 17 December 2022, 03:24   #282
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
... and you tackled mostly the good ones.
Ive looked ahead. It doesnt get better!
Old 17 December 2022, 11:27   #283
jotd
This cat is no more

plus as it's much easier to code/port a game with poor quality than crafting a good game, possibly delaying releases to fix all bugs, etc.. (like they did with Chaos Engine), statistically there are more turds than gems waiting for you.
Old 17 December 2022, 16:10   #284
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
plus as it's much easier to code/port a game with poor quality than crafting a good game
Port a game with poor quality and make it good though... that's probably harder than creating a good game from scratch :/
Old 17 December 2022, 16:27   #285
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Port a game with poor quality and make it good though... that's probably harder than creating a good game from scratch :/
Would be interesting if that was ever done. A port that really improves a game without it being completely different.
Old 17 December 2022, 17:26   #286
Weasel Fierce

Failure:

I tried playing Perihelion but without reading the manual, I was 100% lost. Very impressive intro though. Ill have to come back to this one.

Success:

I figured out how to get CD32 games running in FS-UAE so I will probably check out the CD32 versions here and there.

Failure:

For some reason I have no sound in said CD32 games. Not even normal game audio.

Success:

Hugo på nye eventyr
So maybe you have to be Scandinavian for this one, but in DK we had a tv show you could call into and play a video game on the tv, by hammering buttons on your phone. As a little kid, we always came running to watch it.

Hugo was one of those and the Amiga version is pretty faithful to the tv game. Unfortunately there really isn't very much here. Its a simple maze with some jumping and after satisfying my inner 9 year old by getting to play this "at home" you promptly realize theres probably not a lot of point.

2/5 but I am still glad I played it.
Old 17 December 2022, 17:45   #287
jotd
This cat is no more

We had Hugo TV/phone game in France too.

CD32 games run out of the box with WinUAE: mount CD32 image, select CD32 in quickstart (needs the ROMS) and ... go. Much better than a real CD32 which fails to read the discs because of failing laser/wrong contact on lid/whatever...
Old 17 December 2022, 17:47   #288
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
We had Hugo TV/phone game in France too.

CD32 games run out of the box with WinUAE: mount CD32 image, select CD32 in quickstart (needs the ROMS) and ... go. Much better than a real CD32 which fails to read the discs because of failing laser/wrong contact on lid/whatever...
yeah for some reason I thought it was gonna be way more trouble. Looks like CDTV works too.
Old 18 December 2022, 20:43   #289
Weasel Fierce

Kingdoms of England
Replay but had not touched this one since I was a kid so I was curious how it would hold up. Had to dig out the ADF's since there does not seem to be a WHDLoad option. I recall it requiring relokick on real hardware too but I was emulating this one.

This feels like a "serious" response to Defender of the Crown with less arcade stuff and more focus on being a strategy game. Its rather simple, but I still enjoyed it quite a lot. Its a nice one to play in multiplayer and split up England between you

Gameplay does get rather repetitive over time though but a nice and sometimes overlooked addition to the strategy library
3/5
Old 19 December 2022, 16:01   #290
Weasel Fierce

Prey - An alien encounter
This is a weird game for me. I remember reading about it and seeing a few blurry screenshots as a kid but never having, or knowing anyone with, a CDTV or CD32 I never had a chance to play it. The reviews at the time were poor (and pretty justifiably) but this game caught my attention somehow. Something about those blurry screenshots and the scant details grew in my imagination.

So being able to finally check it out was a bit of a special moment.

The game itself is nothing special: You walk around a bunch of corridors with that odd glossy 3D look, rescue colonists and fight aliens. There isnt much to do and there isnt really much to see either.
I will say, the effect still kind of worked. The small view screen and the breathing sounds along with the (somewhat amateurish) radio chatter does succeed in evoking a decent atmosphere. There just isn't much really here.

Interestingly this is a game that is largely overlooked. There are only a couple videos on the game and they only show the first few moments. Magazine reviews at the time also only show things from the opening moments.

Scoring it as a 2/5 for being mostly presentation with little to back it up, but this is one I am intending to put at least a bit more time into, as a favor to teenage me.
Old 20 December 2022, 17:10   #291
Weasel Fierce

Drag and drop deluxe
A modern amiga game so I will link to the page as well
https://electricblacksheep.itch.io/d...deluxe-edition

I really enjoyed this one. Its a sort of top down tetris where you get shapes to place on a grid and when you fill a line, it gets cleared. The music is catchy, there's a number of game modes and options and its overall a really fun puzzler.
My wife ended up spending half an afternoon playing it as well.

This is an updated version of an earlier version just titled Drag and drop. The two are basically the same game but this has more features so I'd say to just go for the deluxe version.
4/5

I also replayed Leisure suit Larry with a guide. There were a few bits I had forgotten but overall I remembered most of it (bringing the completion score to 74).
It did strike me how weak the ending is. In the end you just...stumble into a meeting with the last girl? Felt like a letdown after the prolonged scenes with Fawn.
Still, an adventure you could solve without a guide and without taking ten thousand years to do so.
Old 20 December 2022, 17:22   #292
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Never heard of those games.
Old 20 December 2022, 18:01   #293
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Never heard of those games.
Now you have!
Old 21 December 2022, 17:36   #294
Weasel Fierce

Not new to you but new to me:

Kings Quest

Yeah, I have played later games but never the original. This was the unenhanced version. I spent a good 2 hours wandering around, dying, getting a few items and dying some more though I was not really keeping a notebook like you are supposed to do with these games.

The game looks painfully DOS but things are clear enough. The character does move at a snails pace and unlike Larry I couldnt find a way to increase the speed.
The quest is rather open ended (find three items) and it does not appear there is a set order.
Adventure games tend to fall into two groups i feel: Some are fairly linear where new areas open up as you get the required items (or once you have completed everything there is to do) while others have fairly open access to many locations and you are free to wander between them.

A sort of proto-open game world before that became a marketing term?
In any event, Kings Quest is fun but it does feel a bit limited. The writing is a bit sparse and each location only tends to have one or two things to actually interact with.
3/5
Old 21 December 2022, 17:43   #295
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The interface of King's Quest felt pretty cumbersome for a Lucas spoilt kid like me. Even if you get used to the interface it feels not that interesting (quite spread out). The later games improve that aspect (along with the graphics).
Old 21 December 2022, 18:18   #296
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
The interface of King's Quest felt pretty cumbersome for a Lucas spoilt kid like me. Even if you get used to the interface it feels not that interesting (quite spread out). The later games improve that aspect (along with the graphics).
The Sierra games were some of the first adventure games I ever played, so I got used to it but it is definitely rough. Sometimes its very obtuse. Larry had a fit if you were at a door but not by the door handle if you tried to open a door
Old 21 December 2022, 18:24   #297
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Larry had a fit if you were at a door but not by the door handle if you tried to open a door
Hehe, I remember that Even getting in a taxi could be fatal
Old 21 December 2022, 18:57   #298
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Was watching the mexican runner yesterday, he played Ball Raider. Epic backgrounds game.

https://hol.abime.net/20

Do not try this at home. Thanks to glitches, ball sometimes will go in circles without option to change its directions.
Old 22 December 2022, 21:06   #299
Weasel Fierce

I will be taking a break until the 26th
Old 26 December 2022, 16:04   #300
Weasel Fierce

And we are back with

Firepower
A little arcade action game where you blow up each others bases, rescue prisoners and generally wreck things. This is another game that in single player really doesn't amount to very much: Its rather repetitive and theres not much depth at all to the gameplay.

In two player mode however the game really shines, being a fun and fairly competitive blast (though of course the temptation to look at the other screen is pretty high).
Not something you play for hours on end, but for a few quick blasts with a friend, its a good deal.
I suppose that averages out to 3/5.