you can follow its progress in this thread
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=111090
Old 21 August 2022, 14:55   #42
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I’d prefer to see Unreal ported to (ppc) Amiga
Anything to be ported for the unfairly dismissed PPC Amigas would be outstanding. Unreal is definitely one of them.
Old 21 August 2022, 15:23   #43
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Maybe the answer is kinda obvious, but did anyone tried to load AB3D levels to the TKG editor? what if that could be the easiest solution to play in 1x1...?
Old 21 August 2022, 16:00   #44
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
Anything to be ported for the unfairly dismissed PPC Amigas would be outstanding. Unreal is definitely one of them.
Especially given the power of pci ppc boards and the voodoo 3
Old 21 August 2022, 23:45   #45
Dunny

I may be misremembering, but can TKG do water effects as well as AB3D1 could?
Old 21 August 2022, 23:48   #46
pipper

It warps/wobbles the frame buffer underneath the water surface and “highlights” the water itself. It doesn’t seem to apply a blue hue when you’re under water, though.
Old 22 August 2022, 01:57   #47
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
It warps/wobbles the frame buffer underneath the water surface and “highlights” the water itself. It doesn’t seem to apply a blue hue when you’re under water, though.
Is it the same effect as AB3D1? As in when you're standing outside of the water, looking in? I know that the GZDoom port/remake of AB3D can't do it.
Old 22 August 2022, 13:51   #48
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The water bumpmapping in AB3D2 is the same effect but I don't think the water looks as nice because it relies on the glare/shade transparency for the water frames, whereas the RGB rendering of AB3D1 tinted everything visible in the water too.

However, I think the TKG version could be tweaked so that the glare part becomes just a specular highlight. Unfortunately the water isn't something you can trivially retexture as I believe the frames are a incbin in the binary. Now that we can rebuild the game thanks to @pipper, that's a possibility.
Old 22 August 2022, 14:07   #49
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I know I've extracted the water frames in the past because I used them in an experimental engine of my own. So somewhere I have an editable asset for it.
Old 22 August 2022, 14:31   #50
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Right, memory refreshed. The water shade binary is 64K, 8 frames of 64*64. However the data format is 2 bytes per pixel which it only uses the LSB of, which looks like a palette index. I'm not sure if the MSB is used for anything or not. Might be nice to see what happens if I try to make it one byte....
Old 23 September 2022, 17:33   #51
Firestone

I don't know if any of you discovered back then that it was actually possible to play coop against the end boss in this game?

When playing multiplayer with two Amigas the master could choose the level based on the password you typed in.
I still remember the password "MHIGKLKLIIIIIIII...." for the last level.

In the meny you could then choose between all levels except the last one for some reason.
But we swapped the levelfiles with level 5 to see if it was possible.
And it worked, there was a starting point for both players.

I remember we started to battle, and then around the corner that huge red alien appeared, oh my

This was the only enemy in this level, all others were gone.
Botn players could shoot and damage him, but if he saw or started to fire on the slave player, the game would freeze on both machines.

Very cool, and it would have been awesome with a coop mode in the rest of the game!
Old 24 September 2022, 11:20   #52
abu_the_monkey

never played 2 player on it but cool find

a coop mode would have been cool! who knows, maybe one day
Old 24 September 2022, 12:40   #53
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Recreating the first game in TKG was always something I wanted to do since I began playing with the modding tools. My plan, if you can call it that, was to first revamp TKG into the game I felt it deserved to be. Second was to create a set of 16 custom designed deathmatch levels and finally to recreate the original. With a bit of scripting, you'd then choose which to play and it would make sure the right link file and level directory was active. Remnants of this are in my mod repo so I may try to resurrect it. It doesn't include any of the original levels though.
Old 06 October 2022, 14:43   #54
rubjonny

Thinking out loud, but what about making a branch of the TKG engine which works with AB3D levels/assets? a 1x1 full screen AB3D version would be amazing I've been hoping for this ever since I first got it on my A1200 way back when
Old 06 October 2022, 23:00   #55
abu_the_monkey

I think it best to get the TKG engine sorted first and then who knows. maybe a loader for the level format ab3d_1 uses or a patch for them so TKG can use the data like any other mod.. but first things first.
Old 07 October 2022, 09:50   #56
rubjonny

oh yeah of course, just thinking if the ab3d 1 engine is extremely difficult to upgrade to 1x1 maybe forget that and instead look at getting the ab3d 1 assets to load into ab3d 2 instead. I mean, we've waited nearly 30 years so no rush
Old 07 October 2022, 15:47   #57
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubjonny View Post
oh yeah of course, just thinking if the ab3d 1 engine is extremely difficult to upgrade to 1x1 maybe forget that and instead look at getting the ab3d 1 assets to load into ab3d 2 instead. I mean, we've waited nearly 30 years so no rush
I know it's not Amiga... but are you aware of this port?

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=101103

That guy put really amazing effort.
Old 07 October 2022, 17:18   #58
rubjonny

yeah I stumbled across it a few weeks ago, looks great As it happens I managed to get it working on my Quest 2 VR headset, I just need to find the time to mod in some VR weapons for it and I'll be away!
Old 15 November 2022, 08:41   #59
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Recreating the first game in TKG was always something I wanted to do since I began playing with the modding tools. My plan, if you can call it that, was to first revamp TKG into the game I felt it deserved to be. Second was to create a set of 16 custom designed deathmatch levels and finally to recreate the original. With a bit of scripting, you'd then choose which to play and it would make sure the right link file and level directory was active. Remnants of this are in my mod repo so I may try to resurrect it. It doesn't include any of the original levels though.
I'm so curious, how this thing progresses...? Any good news?
Old 15 November 2022, 10:09   #60
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
I'm so curious, how this thing progresses...? Any good news?
Well I never started the AB3D1 rework but there were some DM levels. I can't remember what state those were in, though. The main mod is in GitHub now which allows.me to work on it incrementally at least.