English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 April 2007, 05:02   #261
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm
The ST is great for people with diagonal fingers (the function keys)

Good one! I never owned an Amiga, I owned a used Atari 1040 ST.
I liked it, because it gave me a chance to play demos and very good strategy games not found on NES, genesis, Lynx, etc.

But in comparison with the Amiga, it sucked. Even Atari thought so:
I read on the Lynx article in Wikipedia that the Atari dudes used an Amiga to program games for the Lynx. That's sad!
Old 28 April 2007, 01:22   #262
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

I think some people have gotten very carried away with slagging off this machine. True it wasn't up to the amiga quality - but then again the amiga was truly genius for its time. Its also true that the C64 was better specced in some areas, but machines with no hw sprites and/or scrolling were much more common in those days. I think the C64 and Amiga were the exception rather than the rule.

The ST was a good machine for its price and had a great many good coders working on it. I know many friends of mine bought one and had many hours of fun with it, playing games, watching demos, and coding etc.. some of them then upgraded to amigas and had fun on those machines too.

Fun at the end of the day is whats important and thats why we are nostalgic about all these machines, they are all v. poor by todays standards so who cares if the ST was better or worse than any other machine.
Old 28 April 2007, 02:13   #263
caffeinekid

Careful, saying Amiga is poor compared to a PC - you will be pelted with rotten tomatoes by the people who are still convinced that it is going to rise phoenix line from the ashes...

As for the Atari ST... Don't forget OIDS.
Old 28 April 2007, 13:25   #264
SilentBob

The Amiga scene is what made me choose to stay with it so long. Lots of dedicated users who were no less enthusiastic after the catastrophic events of '94. The PC scene was never like the Amigas.
Old 01 May 2007, 01:03   #265
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

I admit i cant argue with that
Old 01 May 2007, 05:04   #266
Pyromania

The Atari St was great because..... it died!

Old 01 May 2007, 05:04   #267
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania
The Atari St was great because..... it died!

Old 01 May 2007, 20:35   #268
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

So thats why the Amiga is better than the ST then? because it died and was resurrected (sold), died again, was almost resurrected, died again.. etc etc..

It even died more times than the ST
Old 01 May 2007, 23:21   #269
SilentBob

Don't they still make those TOS compatible machines? Medusa or whatchamacallit...?
Old 05 May 2007, 22:10   #270
s2325
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 May 2007, 13:53   #271
carmel_andrews

just to add my 2p's worth

the ST was basically designed by ex commodore people (tramiel technology limited) which is why commodore tried to sue atari.....and not by atari, tramiel was only interested in atari as a vehicle to sell and distribute the machine that TTL were developing (the ST)

Tramiel needed a vehicle like atari for his 'ST' as he know himself that selling the ST under TTL wouldn't have stood a chance in the marketplace and with Atari the ST might have stood a chance

The Amiga on the other hand was a reverse story, the hardware was designed by team of renegade (poached) atari inc. employees mainly from the 8bit design team but also coin op and 2600, because of the financial trouble the orig. amiga company was having they were forced into a technology sharing deal with warners Atari, where Atari would be able to design their own versions of the amiga corp chip set (Atari already had plans for a 650x based 'amiga' as well as a high end 68k games system based on the amiga chip set)

When tramiel bought into atari he found out about the amiga deal, which is why he (tramiel) initialy stayed away from atari's existing product line up (i.e, the 'amiga' was going to replace the existing computer line up and the TTL designed ST was going to be Atari's flagship) and tramiel had no interest in atari's games systems

tramiel started penny pinching with amiga corp (regarding buying out the company) cbm came in and did some fancy footwork and ended up with the spoils....commodore sued atari over the ST and atari sued commodore over the amiga

ironic thing is thast both companies (Atari and commodore) are now merely 'brandnames' prostituted about by a UK and french company (Yeahronimo ventures and infogrammes respectively) Amiga only exists as an open sourced o/s (a bit like linux) and hasn't existed in hardware form for over a decade

The reason why both companies (atari and cbm) ultimately failed is because they were limiting themselves in a very niche market place/segment, allowing the likes of Microsoft/IBM/Intel and Apple to to take the lions share of the mass computer market....as well as very poor sales/marketing practices

Old 14 May 2007, 14:09   #272
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

what's the point with this ? We have wikipedia about amiga story on internet pal, So what do you try to say here ?
Old 14 May 2007, 14:50   #273
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Everyone in school had one, and I had an Amiga so I felt superior (It's great cuz it made them inferior )
I know that feeling, everyone in school had PC. When Doom was released, everybody was asking me: Do you have Doom? And how fast your comp is, can you play Doom? It was funny because most of them played Doom without soundcard, in small screen and they thought they had cool computer because they could play Doom and me not. Fuckers I brought them few times MCs with music from the best games, showed them Turrican 2 and other great arcade games to shut them up and ...
BUT YOU CAN´T PLAY DOOM, CAN YOU? Fuckers
Old 14 May 2007, 14:52   #274
Sensi
Unregistered User

It was off topic little bit.

ATARI ST was not great, noone told you that?
Old 14 May 2007, 14:53   #275
Sensi
Unregistered User

I am like those PC fuckers
It was great because you can play same games like we play on Amiga. But you can´t play Doom. YOU CAN´T PLAY DOOM! And we can.
Old 16 May 2007, 16:40   #276
MOS-6581
Retrocomp photographer

Send a message via Yahoo to MOS-6581
I wouldn't take anything Carmel Andrews says as fact, as every time I have come across something he says about Commodore/Atari history, it usually ends up being wrong...

The worst being this article : http://www.ataritimes.com/article.ph...rse%20engineer which he co-wrote, a total piece of garbage claiming the Commodore engineers reversed engineered the Atari 8-bit chipset to create the chips for the VIC 20 and C64! Bob Yannes was so pissed off that he had to write a rebuttal to the said article!
Old 16 May 2007, 23:07   #277
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

I have read What Bob Yannes wrote, and i conclude that carmel post should be moderated. I personaly don't like revisionnists, people who try to change or biase what the reality was. Bob Yannes was indeed really pissed off, well done Carmel ! It's a case where atari ST and amiga war is going to far. Some atarian guys tries to change history, but we have people like the machines creators here to bring back the truth.
Old 04 September 2007, 09:41   #278
oneshotdead

Atari ST was great because:

Having owned one before the Amiga, it made me appreciate the Amiga all the more.

However, I must agree with Stefan Lindberg regarding "ST chiptunes versus Amiga samplebased." Overall, the Amiga game music _pissed_ on the ST, but their were exceptions, composition-wise.
Old 04 September 2007, 10:37   #279
P-J

Quote:
Atari ST was great because...
It never challenged my Amiga
Old 04 September 2007, 11:12   #280
Sensi
Unregistered User

Dungeon Master had been released for ST before the Amiga version came out. Don't forget that!