English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Music

Old 05 December 2017, 15:10   #21
Amiga1992

What exactly is wrong with XMPlay? For me it plays absolutely everything I throw at it, provided I have the necessary plugins.

Isn't Eagleplayer open source? Someone should port it to modern platforms.
Old 05 December 2017, 15:25   #22
ptyerman

Eagleplayer is open source, however it is written in ASM so any porting attempt would be extremely problematic if not impossible.
Old 18 December 2017, 03:13   #23
Titler
Zone Friend

Ok, let's catch up with all the suggestions;

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
#1) deliplayer 2.5b in the zone.
It will run if set to Admin permission. However with the default Amiga Players that come with it, every track is missing some of the instrumentation. I'm not expert enough to tell you which. The following don't work at all:

Elite 2 Frontier: Frontier Theme
Lemmings
Oh No More Lemmings
Wings

Shadow of the Beast doesn't progress beyond the game over tune for the Castle, Plains, Underground and Water tracks.

Install required me to manually create a "Plugin" folder before it would recognise the second link. Plays all instruments correctly, but issues with Lemmings; Cust.Lemmings which crashes and locks up the program. Instruments don't play, but are just crossed out; only sjs.xxx versions play.

But generally this took everything else I threw at it. Not sure why it didn't work previously, could be the plugin, as I had more than 1 claimed Amiga related one in there last time... or it could be something to do with Windows 10 and how it handles folders; I now have it in the C:\Program Files(x86) which seems to work better with older, 32 bit programs. It's also set to Adminstrator too.

I'm relatively happy with this then, but if anyone else is having issues I can sit and test the other alternatives.
Old 18 December 2017, 03:16   #24
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga68k View Post
Something strange going on. Most med's are playing fine, but distortion started suddenly when playing med.medieval. A restart of XMPlay causes the distortion to disappear...
Confirmed for me as well... hmm, maybe XMPlay isn't quite there yet!
Old 27 October 2018, 13:27   #25
Jeff_HxC2001

HxC Mod player updated :

http://hxc2001.free.fr/hxcmod/
Old 19 June 2020, 14:30   #26
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Hi guys,

XMPlay has great plugin capabilities but for MOD format, I'd rather use a standalone player. Since modplug player follow-up (OpenMDT) has become labyrinthine, I finally opted for the BZR player.

Quote:
BZR Player is a sound player for Windows with the primary goal being able to play a lot of different file formats, currently over 650 different ones. It is developed using C++ and QT. The sound engine is based on FMOD.
Does that sound fitting to you ?

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 June 2020 at 00:14.
Old 19 June 2020, 14:34   #27
chip

I used a little XMPlay for MOD format, but immediately found some modules which playback was wrong

So, i soon switched again to an Amiga player

No idea if BZRPlayer is good for Protracker format, never tested it, sorry
Old 19 June 2020, 18:30   #28
Axxy

For all general use, I use ModPlugPlayer. For protracker mods it is usually acceptable for most mods, and it also plays a few exotic tracker formats, ie. far, mtm, ptm, 669, etc. reasonably well. Where MPP is extremely useful is in multi-channel PC tracker format modules. Tbh, MPP plays Impulse tracker modules much better than all the other players, especially when you listen to 60+ channel mods. Also hates mods using loops and pattern scrolling/breaks, Repeat also broken. No use for large playlists as 9999 is the maximum, you can add more, but it just makes playing the odd mod easier than the other players.

XMPlay literally has all my mods in it's playlist (140,000+ all formats). It's clunky, but I like the playlist & library functions, but it is temperamental when using a large amount of files. Also has good support for plugins and skins. Playback is great but not as good as MPP on some PC format modules.

For trackers, I use OpenMPT and Milkytracker for playback on the odd module or two. They both have good import functions for other formats, so potential to export/convert to different formats.

As I tend to go for "tracked" formats, BRZPlayer seems to do a decent job, as well for those exotic amiga formats.

Sadly, I can't get DP to work properly on my Win10 machine anymore.

Med & Octamed have always been a pain in the ass to listen to on the PC, there has never been a real decent player for the format, which is a shame, coz there's loads of modules out there. Think you can import them into OpenMPT now?

I doubt if anyone will write a bells and whistles mod player for the PC today, but I always wanted a Winamp style program for modules.
Old 20 June 2020, 04:45   #29
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
My XMPlay has an Amiga RĂ©tro skin (OS2 style) which perfectly fits with the spirit of listening Amiga modules... I simply loved it.
I run it on both Win7 and Win10...
Old 20 June 2020, 11:01   #30
no9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxy View Post
For all general use, I use ModPlugPlayer.
Is there any difference between MPP and OpenMPT plugins that are there for Foobar2000 for example?

Quote:
For trackers, I use OpenMPT and Milkytracker for playback on the odd module or two. They both have good import functions for other formats, so potential to export/convert to different formats.
I had issue with Milky Tracker when I wanted to edit mod info in some of my older Protracker tunes. After export it was broken. Don't remember if it was sample looping points or something else, but after that I started to avoid it for .mod files.

Quote:
Med & Octamed have always been a pain in the ass to listen to on the PC, there has never been a real decent player for the format, which is a shame, coz there's loads of modules out there. Think you can import them into OpenMPT now?
I tried couple of med files in OpenMPT plugin in Foobar but indeed playback was far from perfect for some of them.

Quote:
I doubt if anyone will write a bells and whistles mod player for the PC today, but I always wanted a Winamp style program for modules.

For me Foobar2000 + OpenMPT, sidplay and some other plugin does the job for 99% of the time. But I rarely play anything that's not just a music module.

With a little bit of tweaking Foobar has nice oldschool feeling too:

Old 20 June 2020, 11:32   #31
Axxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
Is there any difference between MPP and OpenMPT plugins that are there for Foobar2000 for example?
MPP is a standalone mod player, old and not supported anymore, but I do use the openmpt plugin for xmplay.

Quote:
I had issue with Milky Tracker when I wanted to edit mod info in some of my older Protracker tunes. After export it was broken. Don't remember if it was sample looping points or something else, but after that I started to avoid it for .mod files.
I never bother with converting .mods as such, but other formats like .digi .amf etc. where the PC struggles to play.

Quote:
I tried couple of med files in OpenMPT plugin in Foobar but indeed playback was far from perfect for some of them.
I meant loading them into the Tracker software OpenMPT (MPTrack), not just playing them through a plugin. Like I said, .med support has been pretty non existent on PC for a standalone player or plugin.

Quote:
For me Foobar2000 + OpenMPT, sidplay and some other plugin does the job for 99% of the time. But I rarely play anything that's not just a music module. With a little bit of tweaking Foobar has nice oldschool feeling too:
It's whatever works for you. I haven't tried Foobar for years tbh.
Old 20 June 2020, 12:05   #32
no9

Quote:
MPP is a standalone mod player, old and not supported anymore, but I do use the openmpt plugin for xmplay.
Yeah. I asked if there is any significant difference between those two (MPP and OpenMPT in whatever form it runs: plugin or standalone editor) when it comes to playback since you said you use MPP.

Quote:
I never bother with converting .mods as such, but other formats like .digi .amf etc. where the PC struggles to play.
If I remember I've made one digi track and it is played pretty correctly in Foobar. Didn't check any further because I don't think there are much/any significant tracks in this format to bother...

.amf - I don't have such files, but looks like OpenMPT loads it https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Module_formats

I just wanted to point out that Milky Tracker doesn't seem to reliable. But maybe it was just buggy export to Protracker compatible format.

Quote:
I meant loading them into the Tracker software OpenMPT (MPTrack), not just playing them through a plugin. Like I said, .med support has been pretty non existent on PC for a standalone player or plugin.
I don't get the difference here. We are talking about playing tunes this way or the other, right?

Quote:
It's whatever works for you. I haven't tried Foobar for years tbh.
It works very well for me. But I'm not to much into rare music formats. Just mods.

Last edited by no9; 20 June 2020 at 12:22.
Old 20 June 2020, 12:27   #33
andy2004
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to andy2004
I use XMPLAY but i dont use delix.. i use extended module player 4.4.1
xmp-libxmp 1.0.28 with the 4.4.1.
Old 20 June 2020, 14:40   #34
Axxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
Yeah. I asked if there is any significant difference between those two (MPP and OpenMPT in whatever form it runs: plugin or standalone editor) when it comes to playback since you said you use MPP.
I see.. It's subjective.. As you can imagine, I've tried lots of players over the years. But as personal preference, playback quality has always been best in MPP, even though the program hasn't been supported for years. It amazes me how playing the same mod sounds so different between say, mpp and xmplay. You don't notice it so much with 4 channel mods, but the differences in multichannel mods is quite significant, to me.... MPP has a richness to it's playback that is not present in other players, if that makes sense? The only other real differences are where MPP can't playback some types of modules, especially chiptunes and some s3m', it really mangles them....

Quote:
If I remember I've made one digi track and it is played pretty correctly in Foobar. Didn't check any further because I don't think there are much/any significant tracks in this format to bother...
.digi conversion so I can play them on PC players. I keep both versions as a purist. I've collected quite a few recently, whereas before I wouldn't have kept them if I have no player on PC to play them

Quote:
.amf - I don't have such files, but looks like OpenMPT loads it
Old throwback to days when I was ripping loads of old ms-dos intros, demos etc. Converting these formats has been added in the last few years which has been nice.

Quote:
I don't get the difference here. We are talking about playing tunes this way or the other, right?
I was only speaking from importing/exporting point of view for some formats. Med/Oss mods I can listen to in Openmpt (I assume you know I mean the Tracker program?), because the players I use don't play them. Occasionally, a med mod will play properly, I suspect coz no effects in the mod. I have no idea how they play against what it would sound in it's native software though.
Old 20 June 2020, 15:23   #35
no9

Quote:
I see.. It's subjective.. (...) You don't notice it so much with 4 channel mods, but the differences in multichannel mods is quite significant, to me.... MPP has a richness to it's playback that is not present in other players, if that makes sense?
Well... That's not necesarily subjective nor mysterious. Output from any player can be recorded to WAV and then compared to each other. Also "richness" doesn't imply accuracy of the player.

Quote:
.digi conversion so I can play them on PC players. I keep both versions as a purist. I've collected quite a few recently, whereas before I wouldn't have kept them if I have no player on PC to play them
I remember that decades ago it was impossible to accurately play Digibooster's/Pro tunes on PC. Especially DBM ones because lack of FX implementation. That's why I converted some of them to IT format. But times change and today this is not necessarily true. As I said before - I checked one .digi tune which I can reliably judge and it played fine. In the meantime I also checked Foobar/OpenMPT plugin against my old .dbm tracks and they also sound pretty accurate. So I don't feel like there is much basis to perpetuate statement that "PC can't play digi or dbm". Only that old, long time not updated players stil can't, but well...

Quote:
I was only speaking from importing/exporting point of view for some formats. Med/Oss mods I can listen to in Openmpt (I assume you know I mean the Tracker program?), because the players I use don't play them.
Since OpenMPT plugins are based on https://lib.openmpt.org/libopenmpt/ then any player that have it implemented plays it in the same way like tracker. For good or bad.
Old 15 March 2021, 09:31   #36
meega

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
I sill use deliplayer 2.5b on Win 10

Although the drag and drop feature was borked from Win7 onwards and the default volume level being set to 0% and not 100%, which is another oddity introduced since Win 7. However, apart from those it still works fine.

Just remember to up the volume or you'll think it's still borked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titler View Post
Ok, let's catch up with all the suggestions;

"deliplayer 2.5b" It will run if set to Admin permission.
Thank you both, downloaded from softpedia, and I see my favourite music player interface again. Now I need to find something to listen to.