English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 September 2016, 07:51   #1
jarp

Amiga 600 rev 2D + KS 3.x = no video on boot

Hi!

I just recapped my Amiga 600 rev 2D mobo and it went smoothly (all caps had leaked a lot). Mobo was equipped with 37.299 Kickstart (= no boot from IDE) so I swapped Cloanto Kickstart 3.x chips into it from my old Amiga 600 rev 1.

Problem is I do not get any video out from my rev 2D mobo with 3.x until Workbench has started! Only black screen on boot - no sequence of different shades of gray etc. However it boots from IDE no problem and after workbench starts I get video and everything works. Rev. 1 mobo shows video from the start with 3.x so rom chip is fine.

Anybody knows what's happening? I found it weird that newer mobo does not work with newer Kickstart. Rom chip is seated well and everything.

I also tried 37.300 Kickstart and it works well also, I get video and it boots from IDE. I quess I could use it and just use my Furia's mapron feature to load newer Kickstart in to get 4GB+ support but still...
Old 13 September 2016, 09:31   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@jarp

I have read on a few forums now that there are some technical issues with the Cloanto 3.x ROM. I would humbly suggest that you contact Cloanto about this matter as they would be able to advise you further on what can be done (if anything) with some of these issues.
Old 13 September 2016, 11:20   #3
jarp

Ah ok I see. If others also have found out some compatibility problems I'll call it a day. I doubt there is no point contacting Cloanto either - at best they can provide new chips. I'll just put 3.x rom to my rev 1 motherboard where it works and use 2.05 rom on rev 2D board with Furia's maprom feature then (though I was unable to get maprom to work but that's separate issue).

Thanks for your comment!
Old 13 September 2016, 19:05   #4
jimbob

I thought this was normal for 3.1. It doesn't do the shades of grey thing. Is that the only thing which doesn't work? Floppy boots ok?

Your display should detect a video signal at power on though, even though the screen stays black until another program displays something.
Old 13 September 2016, 21:06   #5
jarp

Ah actually you seem to be right - my memory failed me. There seems to be no shades of gray with the Kickstart 3.x (and probably with the Kickstart 3.1 then). However, there is still something fishy going on because the insert floppy animation did not appear at all with the Kickstart 3.x placed into my rev. 2D motherboard - initially I thought that I had damaged the rom chip since everything was black.

I did not test if it boots with a floppy and I already switched the roms back since I was able to make accelerator's maprom feature to work. Anyways boot from the hdd worked and also my monitor detected the signal so yeah, seems that only the insert floppy screen was missing.

In a retrospect it was a mistake to buy a 3.x rom anyways. It won't boot stock Workbench from a floppy if hdd gets borked and I can use maprom anyways to load Kickstart with patched scsi.device and everything...
Old 13 September 2016, 21:39   #6
r.cade

3.1 takes a really long time before the boot floppy animation. I think it waits for drives to spin up, etc. It may be close to a minute before something happens if it finds nothing to boot from...