English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 02 September 2009, 17:07   #1
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Classic WB Advanced on TV?

Hi,

Getting my 8mb memory upgrade in the next few days (finally!)

Wondering if its possible to use the ADV or ADVSP versions of classic workbench on an A1200 (020) with 8mb Fast Mem but on a standard def TV/Monitor through scart or do I need VGA to use these version os ClassicWB?

The TV has a PC input so if I was to get a VGA converter would there be much chance of it working? Dont really want to spend out on one of these scan doublers.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.
Old 02 September 2009, 19:31   #2
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Should work fine. I upgraded my Classic WB to use HighGFX with an indivision AGA but I believe it is just PAL standard out of the box which should work on your TV just fine.

Check with your TV Manual as to what modes are supported via VGA. I am sure the PAL modes over VGA / INDIVISON AGA or other scan doubler would look fantastic but the 1024X768 HIGHGFX can still be picky on some TV's with VGA inputs from my experience.
Old 02 September 2009, 19:41   #3
Gordon
Settler

Yes it works. I use RGB scart and it flicker a bit with the default resolution, so you can either stick with it or reduce the resolution where the icons become bigger but you still get the cool copper background and nice icons.
Old 02 September 2009, 19:47   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Loving the look of the advance versions on WinUae so it would be great to use them om my real Amiga...

Steve.
Old 02 September 2009, 21:02   #5
Bloodwych

You might want to try and simulate performance with an 020 in WinUAE first by disabling JIT and using the CPU/Chipset slider more towards the left.

The speed of the Workbenches goes (Fastest->Slowest) FULL->ADV->ADVSP.

I would advise the FULL on a 020 - the lower resolution, colour depth and lack of Newicons everywhere really makes it zippy:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/requirements.htm

Plus you don't have to deal with Interlaced screens and the icons/fonts are proportioned for standard TVs.

You can use the ADVSP, but it will be slow on an 020. There is a utility in the C drawer that reduces interlaced flicker in 16 colour screenmodes called MagicTV - you might want to look at it. The default screenmode of the ADVSP version is 64 however, so with that I'd advise using the ADV version.

You can run the ADVSP as Gordon does in non-interlaced mode which will improve performance, but the icons will look big and out of proportion.

Choices, choices.
Old 02 September 2009, 21:07   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I might give it a go on a CF card first (got an ide-cf converter off ebay for a few £3 and it works a treat!

When cash permits I think I will get an 030 accelerator, should imagine it would run quite nice on that?

Steve.
Old 04 September 2009, 14:47   #7
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I might give it a go on a CF card first (got an ide-cf converter off ebay for a few £3 and it works a treat!

When cash permits I think I will get an 030 accelerator, should imagine it would run quite nice on that?

Steve.
Indeed it does!
Old 04 September 2009, 17:57   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks for that! Still waiting for this memory to turn up. Don't you hate slow ebay sellers? Paid for it on Saturday and he just marked it as dispatched today, I know it was a bank holiday but still when I sell its posted first thing next working day!

Eyeing up an M-TEC (viper) 030 thats going for £80 BIN tempted but still think thats high, given that the card is limited to 8mb. These things just sell on abay for some silly prices. Paid £35 for the 8mb Memory Expansion, he had it listed at £65, made a best offer and he waited 4 days and took it. Still feel thats high but couldn't find one elsewhere so I guess you have to pay what you have to!
Old 04 September 2009, 18:55   #9
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Thanks for that! Still waiting for this memory to turn up. Don't you hate slow ebay sellers? Paid for it on Saturday and he just marked it as dispatched today, I know it was a bank holiday but still when I sell its posted first thing next working day!

Eyeing up an M-TEC (viper) 030 thats going for £80 BIN tempted but still think thats high, given that the card is limited to 8mb. These things just sell on abay for some silly prices. Paid £35 for the 8mb Memory Expansion, he had it listed at £65, made a best offer and he waited 4 days and took it. Still feel thats high but couldn't find one elsewhere so I guess you have to pay what you have to!
I have used the Mtec Viper and although it is limited to the 8 megs and has no MMU, it was way more game friendly than the M1230XA I am running now. I will be putting the viper in my "gaming" 1200.
Old 19 September 2009, 01:28   #10
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Well an update really, might be useful if anyone plans to do this in the future...

I have installed Classic WB Advance SP and to be honest I don't mind the slightly slow loading icons and the little bit of flicker, the new icons and extra functionality more than make up for it.

I tried it out first on a 128mb CF card to make sure I was happy and for the last hour I have had my IDE Hard drive out and plugged into the PC and have set everything up.

All in all well chuffed I found this site and got my Amiga out of the loft, last time I used it (4 years ago) I had workbench 3.0 on an 85mb hard drive and played all my games off floppys!

Now I have CWB and 1400 WHDLoad games, oh and a registered version too! £15 well spent.

And to think I was going to sell it
Old 19 September 2009, 10:06   #11
Bloodwych

Thanks for the update. Always nice when people come back and let everyone know the end result.
Old 19 September 2009, 16:27   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Thanks for the update. Always nice when people come back and let everyone know the end result.
No problem! Also for anyone deciding to go with this redical idea, I uploaded a video so you can get an idea of the speed. (By the way iGame was already loaded to save time since it take a while to load)

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by fitzsteve; 19 September 2009 at 16:35.
Old 19 September 2009, 17:03   #13
Bloodwych

Wow, that runs a lot faster than I thought.

Last time I tested it on my A1200, I hadn't optimised FBlit for Scalos windows in fastram and hadn't enabled Iconbefast. Looks like those two additions really makes it fly even on an 020.

Looks really good, if I do say so myself.

Did you find the Alt bug in iGame (where you rescan a repository after adding more games and Alt appears in the list against previously installed titles). I find you have to delete the old game list before re-scanning.

You just wait for the next release - a full screenshot pack for iGame (and hopefully KGLoad).
Old 19 September 2009, 17:21   #14
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Wow, that runs a lot faster than I thought.

Last time I tested it on my A1200, I hadn't optimised FBlit for Scalos windows in fastram and hadn't enabled Iconbefast. Looks like those two additions really makes it fly even on an 020.

Looks really good, if I do say so myself.

Did you find the Alt bug in iGame (where you rescan a repository after adding more games and Alt appears in the list against previously installed titles). I find you have to delete the old game list before re-scanning.

You just wait for the next release - a full screenshot pack for iGame (and hopefully KGLoad).
I had already put all the games on before I scanned for the first time so didnt see any bugs, look forward to a new release. Keep up the good work