English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 01 August 2018, 14:43   #61
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
So, only compo projects are allowed, and the author only has six months from start to finish? Can´t imagine that this leads anywhere, since the timeframe is too tight if you don´t use any kind of working framework (like Blitz). It also rules out Rygar, right?
Why does it rule out Rygar?
Old 01 August 2018, 14:48   #62
buzzybee

Because the compo has not officially started, at least I could not find any kind of launch date in the thread. But the Rygar AGA project has. Also, it´s using art assets which are old and also are used without permission from the copyright holder.
Old 01 August 2018, 15:03   #63
mcgeezer

Quote:
Because the compo has not officially started, at least I could not find any kind of launch date in the thread. But the Rygar AGA project has. Also, it´s using art assets which are old and also are used without permission from the copyright holder.
The compo has started.

The use of art assets is allowed (ripped or not) - as explained by the mods in above posts. The permission from copyright holder is a moot point.
Old 01 August 2018, 15:10   #64
buzzybee

It has? I can find recent postings like this "Any more news about the contest?" in the thread, but no official starting signal. Maybe I just don´t get it ...

As for using copyrighted material with the prospect of earning (little, but anyway) money doing this: I´d consider this is a serious agenda and I would want to talk about that publicly ... but that´s just my two cents.
Old 01 August 2018, 16:15   #65
mcgeezer

Quote:
It has? I can find recent postings like this "Any more news about the contest?" in the thread, but no official starting signal. Maybe I just don´t get it ... .
Read post 387 here

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=387

Quote:
As for using copyrighted material with the prospect of earning (little, but anyway) money doing this: I´d consider this is a serious agenda and I would want to talk about that publicly ... but that´s just my two cents.
I can't see how you come to consider this at all. At no point have I said I would be selling Rygar as a game.
Old 01 August 2018, 16:40   #66
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Read post 387 here

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=387

I can't see how you come to consider this at all. At no point have I said I would be selling Rygar as a game.

Right, but the three winners of the compo will get money which counts as income. Just sayin´
Old 01 August 2018, 16:44   #67
roondar

Ahh, the sad way copyright gives authors and companies near infinite length protection. It never ceases to amaze me.

I'm all for a form of copyright by the way, just not for anything lasting even close to the current 75+ years. But that's a whole different discussion.
Old 01 August 2018, 17:08   #68
mcgeezer

Quote:
Right, but the three winners of the compo will get money which counts as income. Just sayin´
I'll take the risk of being sued by Tecmo - if I happen to win something.
Old 01 August 2018, 17:12   #69
buzzybee

Can´t wait to see moving pictures!
Old 01 August 2018, 22:50   #70
mcgeezer

I started work tonight on the collisions.

Now it doesn't look like much but the video showing the routine below is quite important to the game engine

As Rygar moves toward the right, the platforms that can be jumped upon scroll in from the right. Once the sprite masks are prepared I can then easily work out if Rygar is standing on a platform or any of the enemies for that matter.

Getting this bit right is very core to the game.

[ Show youtube player ]

The test here is just done with a mock map, but it's just as easy to determine if specific tiles are being moved in by their value.

The reason I only scroll in lines is to do with efficiency, I only need one blit to move all the platforms and 14 vertical platforms are allowed.

PS. I've contacted Koei Tecmo Europe tonight and have the contact of their general manager to ask for permission to license/port the game to the Amiga. The answer can only be yes or no... or somewhere in between cost wise.
Old 01 August 2018, 23:14   #71
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I don't think that was a clever move. This could killl the project before you really started it. I can't imagine that they license Rygar for a freeware port. But now they are aware of the project.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 August 2018 at 23:41.
Old 01 August 2018, 23:24   #72
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I don't think that a was clever move. This couldn't killl the project before you really started it. I can't imagine that they license Rygar for a freeware port. But now they are aware of the project.
We’ll see what happens. I have to write them a proposal, i’d prefer it if i asked them though which i’m going to do. If they so no then i’ll worry about it.
Old 01 August 2018, 23:27   #73
jotd
This cat is no more

I think I know the answer in advance... Those companies think they can still make money with those old games. See the 1:1 ports made on Nintendo DS of all arcade classics like Pacman, Green Beret, Scramble...
Old 01 August 2018, 23:34   #74
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

They actually do. Last Rygar release was 2014-2017 on a Arcade compilation.
Old 01 August 2018, 23:40   #75
roondar

Well, I hope they don't mind you porting this to a dead platform. You never know, they might be more reasonable than I am thinking they might be
Old 01 August 2018, 23:47   #76
Ian
Global Moderator

Well lets see, common sense doesn't often enter the mind of suits and money men.

As there have been several rip offs anyway, I'm sure the work done isn't going to be wasted, you may just need an artist to do new sprites for you

Personally I wouldn't have bothered, as they haven't gone after the guys doing the ECS version, and that has had plenty of coverage in the same circles your AGA version will.
Old 02 August 2018, 00:00   #77
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
PS. I've contacted Koei Tecmo Europe tonight and have the contact of their general manager to ask for permission to license/port the game to the Amiga. The answer can only be yes or no... or somewhere in between cost wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I don't think that was a clever move. This could killl the project before you really started it. I can't imagine that they license Rygar for a freeware port. But now they are aware of the project.
I have to agree with Retro here my friend; would have been best not to contact them but it's been done now so we'll have to wait for their response...
Old 02 August 2018, 00:34   #78
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Well, i very clearly hope that they won't go berserk. The right holders can be Jaws for some of them.

It would be good to explain that no money would be made 1), the goal is to see if a great version can be done technically on a dead platform 2)

The remaining is in Destiny's hands.
Old 02 August 2018, 08:09   #79
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I have to agree with Retro here my friend; would have been best not to contact them but it's been done now so we'll have to wait for their response...
All i have at the moment is a contact to send a proposal to. Taking in to consideration what most people recommend i’ll hold off sending anything and just continue building.
Old 02 August 2018, 09:58   #80
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Last Rygar release was 2014-2017 on a Arcade compilation.
doesn't it annoy you that the game is recoded again and again? I'm 100% sure that emulation isn't used in those compilations (screen format, adaptations). Games are rewritten in whatever language is suitable, from original sources (if they kept them, which is likely). I'm sure it takes forever for them too, since they have the same issues as Amiga port has (except for the limited resources maybe)

I mean: the current sources are probably in C and we have to do the work over and over ... Well I don't mind that but sometimes I'd like a peek at the source (specially when I remade the bitmap bros games...)

Well, my original dream was: all arcade games that can be ported 1:1 or close should exist on the amiga (a bit like Atari did with Super Sprint, ... or the excellent Pang, Paperboy, Parasol Stars, Rainbow Islands and ... Bomb Jack). One more legend game like this, yeah!!!

The fact it requires a A1200 isn't a big deal. It's difficult enough to code on the amiga, let's have AGA & 2MB chip available at least...

Last edited by jotd; 02 August 2018 at 10:12.