English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 August 2001, 00:47   #41
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

The first game I saw on the Amiga was Marble Madness back in 1987 and I was blown away the fact it was virtually arcade perfect in both graphics and sound. Couldn't say that about the 8-bit machines!
Old 26 August 2001, 21:25   #42
bspus

The first I saw was double dragon. A friend invited me over to play when he first got his amiga in the late 80s. He knew I loved that game back then. In retrospect, it was a horrible conversion, but at the time was I was impressed since I hadnt seen an amiga before. Just the fact that the graphics were remotely close was enough.

The most impressive game at the time for me was shadow of the beast. When I saw that game in 89 I knew I had to get myself an amiga. I used to have dreams about that game!

Old 27 August 2001, 11:41   #43
RetroMan

First game I ever played on an Amiga : HOSTAGES
First game I bought for my own Amiga : HOSTAGES

And I still play it !!!

//RCK: Please don't use direct signature ! use UserCP instead !!
Old 27 August 2001, 14:09   #44
icycool
Banned

First game I ever saw on Amiga was Mindwalker, and surprisingly, I still really like it as a game
Old 27 August 2001, 17:50   #45
Amiga1992

I think Mindwalker is quite a strange game, never seen one like it before. I quite like it, but I haven't gave it the proper time to learn properly how to play it.

I discovered it one year ago though. I think the first Amiga game I saw was Les Manley, by Accolade. And the one thing I kept seeing when I went to the computer shop for C64 stuff, was X-Copy on the Amiga I thought that copier was supa-cool
Old 27 September 2001, 17:17   #46
Aral

First game I saw for the Amiga was Stunt Car Racer at my local department store. I ended up buying that game and an Amiga 500 that day I've still got both today

Old 27 September 2001, 17:40   #47
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Smile

I can't for the life of me recall exactly which was the first Amiga game I ever saw, but the one most vivid in making an early impression was Battle Chess.
For someone who was young, had never played chess, hated it etc., I'd loved to play Battle chess with all the animations & FX an all time classic-now why haven't Interplay bothered to update that onto modernday systems??
Old 27 September 2001, 18:16   #48
Amiga1992

I don't think you can 'update' BattleCHess. I mean, what would you add? It's been squeezed enough alrady IMO.

A great game.
Old 28 September 2001, 02:40   #49
Fissuras
Old Luny

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

First game I saw on Amiga was... Lemmings!!!!!!!
Yeah, that's right. Lemmings. And I tell you, I loved it.
I never had an amiga, but two friends were the lucky Amiga owners. At that time (so long ago) I believe I had a 286, CGA display, no sound card, so you can figure the whole picture, right?

At that time (I can't remember the exact year, guess it was 1987) I had sold my beautifull MSX (1), with glorious 16 colors, clear sound, great games... and bought an super duper 286 powered PC-AT, 1Mb RAM, CGA display, no sound card, 40Gb HD (the only good thing in that computer). My friends started making fun of me, but I had no choice: I had to run Turbo Pascal and Turbo C in order to attend the classes at the university. All the software we used, all the softwhare we wrote, all computers available at the University were PC-compatible. No room for Macs, Amigas, or whatever

I've handled this first Amiga contact pretty well. I left my friend's house being almost the same person I was before getting in. But it all got pretty bad when I saw Monkey Island on an Amiga. I never looked the same way to my green monitor again.

Time passed, I bought a VGA card (Paradise, 512kb), a VGA monitor (NEC 3D) and later, a sound blaster card. I was in heaven, or believed so.

Then I saw a Toaster. I saw a friend, with an Amiga, making all kind of video editting tricks, 3D rendered animations, blah blah blah...

It was the very moment I lost my sanity, my humanity. I could never get to sleep again. I was unable to call that thing at home "a computer". Not anymore. Nevermore. Nevermore. Nevermore.

Old 05 October 2001, 09:47   #50
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

A demo in a shop of Shadow of the Beast and Blood Money - the intro did it for me...

Bought an A500 then and there... 2 weeks later sold it and bought a B2000, 40Gb HD, more mem etc.... £1500.. big money when I was a youngster...

Hooked from then on!
Old 05 October 2001, 18:49   #51
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

40GB HD?!?!? Back then????

I don't believe that, sorry dude.
Old 05 October 2001, 20:05   #52
turk182

Went to a friends house to pick up some little ol' C64 games when He showed me his new toy... I first saw sword of sodan ,with its huge graphics that made my c64 look like a dinosaur. Then he showed me Kick-off with its realistic crowd noises and fast gameplay wow:hooooo
Needless to say I got mine within 6 months after that !.
First game witnessed on my own ,was the Demo sequence for F/a18 intercepter ,that rely told me that I spent my money well,what a demo sequence.
cool
Old 05 October 2001, 23:41   #53
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Doh... how time moves... 40Mb of course...

God, I just realised.. 1000 times capacity costs about 1/5 of what it did then....

£550 for 40Mb in 1990

£100 for 40Gb now..2001

WOW!"!
Old 06 October 2001, 00:52   #54
Fissuras
Old Luny

Big grin

Sorry! That was just a typo. I did mean 40Mb... it was a Seagate hard drive... 151-S model or something like that, I am not really sure. But, hey, one year later I've got a 80 Mb SCSI Seagate hard drive, as big as a huge floppy drive, slow as crowded bus without gas...

And to get it started i had to turn on the computer twice. Like if it had to warm-up...

What a wonderfull machine this AT clone of mine...
Old 06 October 2001, 02:39   #55
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
First game I played on Amiga was, KICK OFF !!!!!!! and it was on my Amiga´s brother, we have some battles playing that game, me and my 3 brothers we have some really battles playing that game ...

and then Batman the Movie ...
Old 12 October 2001, 13:05   #56
dulcaoin

Arcticfox (it was among the only things available at the time) :-)

I sure wish it would run under WinUAE today.

First game that REALLY impressed me (as in "this is like an arcade game right here in my house!") was Shadow of the Beast.

I was an instant Psygnosis convert from then on, bought most of my stuff from them from then on... Blood Money, SOTB 2, Ballistix, Leander, The Killing Game Show.

I also REALLY remember my jaw dropping at The Faery Tale Adventure. I ended up buying Firepower because I was such a fan of the company, although now that title seems so bland. Again, I wish I could "find" Turbo to go with Firepower, they were sort of peas in a pod.

Old 12 October 2001, 19:36   #57
gusddm

Wink Another World!

That game really amazed me!

It was a very original game and with amazing graphics and animation for the time, I couldn't believe how great those cutscenes were!

The funny thing is that the first time I finished the game I couldnt saw the ending because one of the disks was corrupt or something ! noooooooo! :P

Old 13 October 2001, 05:32   #58
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

dulcaoin, are you looking for an original or an adf of "Turbo"? It's not all that uncommon...
Old 13 October 2001, 09:59   #59
dulcaoin

Either way would be great...

Old 13 October 2001, 12:34   #60
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, well the Megaforce crack is in the ADF Zone. I also have the World of Wonders crack if you happen to be a completist.