English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 02 February 2013, 20:19   #1
TheDarkCoder

Assembler that generates all M68k opcodes

Hello, for curiosity and for the sake of explanation of the relationship between assembly language and machine code, I would like to know if there are Amiga assemblers that allow to generate all m68k opcodes.

It seems to me that ASM-One (at least v 1.4x) does not generate some of them, for instance ADD #im, Dx (ASM-One "optimize" it with ADDI #im, Dx).

What about PhxAss, Devpac, vasm?
Old 02 February 2013, 22:29   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCoder View Post
It seems to me that ASM-One (at least v 1.4x) does not generate some of them, for instance ADD #im, Dx (ASM-One "optimize" it with ADDI #im, Dx).
It's the other way 'round, ASM-One allows you to write the less strict add #im,x instruction (which does not exist) and automatically translates it to the correct addi instruction. It is not any kind of optimisation, it actually is just support for lazy coders!
Old 03 February 2013, 13:51   #3
Leffmann

Quote:
Hello, for curiosity and for the sake of explanation of the relationship between assembly language and machine code, I would like to know if there are Amiga assemblers that allow to generate all m68k opcodes.

What about PhxAss, Devpac, vasm?
I don't know if vasm honors all instructions like this, but it does encode both ADD #Im,Dx and ADDI #Im,Dx correctly, so it's worth taking a look.
Old 03 February 2013, 14:32   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
but it does encode both ADD #Im,Dx and ADDI #Im,Dx correctly
ADD #IM,DX = ADDI #IM,DX

Strictly speaking, ADD #IM,DX is not a valid instruction (i.e. does not exist) but most assemblers handle it automatically since it is clear that an immediate value should be added.
Old 03 February 2013, 17:51   #5
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Strictly speaking, ADD #IM,DX is not a valid instruction (i.e. does not exist) but most assemblers handle it automatically since it is clear that an immediate value should be added.
ADD.W #$1234,D0 -> D07C 1234
ADDI.W #$1234,D0 -> 0640 1234

If destination is a data register then there is ADD #IM,Dx AFAIK
Old 03 February 2013, 19:12   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

You are correct, add.x #IM,Dx is indeed allowed, I checked the reference manual. It's somewhat ambiguous though IMHO.
Old 05 February 2013, 10:08   #7
TheDarkCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
You are correct, add.x #IM,Dx is indeed allowed, I checked the reference manual. It's somewhat ambiguous though IMHO.
yeah, before digging into this issue (just for the sake of explaining ASM, not becose I needed) I also believed that the very dense m68k instruction encoding did not have redundand opcodes.
Indeed, the only redundancies I have discovered up to now, are all related to the xxxI variants using a data register as destination operand:
ADD # , Dx / ADDI # , Dx
SUB # , Dx / SUBI # , Dx
CMP # , Dx / CMPI # , Dx.
AND# , Dx / ANDI # , Dx.
OR # , Dx / ORI # , Dx.

In contrast, there are no redundancied between ADD/ADDA, SUB/SUBA, etc.

Well, another one is that you can use MOVEM to copy just 1 register, but I regard this as anavoidable.

Please, let me know if you know others.
Old 05 February 2013, 10:10   #8
TheDarkCoder

Quote:
I don't know if vasm honors all instructions like this, but it does encode both ADD #Im,Dx and ADDI #Im,Dx correctly, so it's worth taking a look.
Let's see if Frank Wille is willing to give a qualified answer!
Old 05 February 2013, 16:14   #9
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
I can only guarantee that I tried my best to support all of them. When I missed something, tell me, and I fix it in a few minutes. It was important to me to differentiate between ADD and ADDI, because I wanted to make sure vasm works well with reassemblers and generates identical code.

Vasm's 68k backend supports all known 68000-68060, 68851, 6888x, CPU32 and ColdFire V2-V4e instructions.

I remember just one ambiguous instruction: PFLUSHA. It exists for 68030, 68851, 68040 and 68060. The 68040/060 version has a different opcode, so the resulting code depends on the current cpu options.
Old 05 February 2013, 18:31   #10
matthey
Banned

Quote:
In contrast, there are no redundancies between ADD/ADDA, SUB/SUBA, etc. Well, another one is that you can use MOVEM to copy just 1 register, but I regard this as unavoidable. Please, let me know if you know others.
Another "redundancy" is ASL and LSL. It would have been easy enough to have the assembler use an alias for ASL that encodes an LSL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I can only guarantee that I tried my best to support all of them. When I missed something, tell me, and I fix it in a few minutes. It was important to me to differentiate between ADD and ADDI, because I wanted to make sure vasm works well with reassemblers and generates identical code.
Vasm works great for reassembling code and I wouldn't change a thing. However, the M68000PRM has a note after the ADD instruction that says:
Quote:
ADDA is used when the destination is an address register. ADDI and ADDQ are used when the source is immediate data. Most assemblers automatically make this distinction.
It doesn't say that assemblers "should" make the distinction so I guess vasm is ok . It does sound like Motorola intended assemblers to convert ADD #,Dn to ADDI #,Dn though. ADD #,Dn is supported by all 68k processors and was generated by some 68k assemblers so it can't be removed now. I think it's safe enough to use it in vasm with the advantage of more accurate reassembled code.
Quote:
I remember just one ambiguous instruction: PFLUSHA. It exists for 68030, 68851, 68040 and 68060. The 68040/060 version has a different opcode, so the resulting code depends on the current cpu options.
I hadn't noticed. Good to know.
Old 06 February 2013, 09:02   #11
TheDarkCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Another "redundancy" is ASL and LSL. It would have been easy enough to have the assembler use an alias for ASL that encodes an LSL.
As you probably know, (but let's state it for the beginners ) ASL and LSL are different in the way they affect the V flag.
I agree that it's almost useless to have both, but what I mean with the term "redundant" instruction is two different opcodes that have exactly the same semantics, for whatever values of the operands.

I agree on your comment

Quote:

Vasm's 68k backend supports all known 68000-68060, 68851, 6888x, CPU32 and ColdFire V2-V4e instructions.

thanks phx, that's what I wanted to know, I really like the choice of supporting all instructions.
Has PhxAss the same behavior, if you remember?

Last edited by prowler; 06 February 2013 at 21:28. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 06 February 2013, 09:46   #12
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
I really like the choice of supporting all instructions.
BTW, although vasm differentiates between ADD and ADDI it will still translate ADD silently into ADDI, but only then when the addressing mode doesn't exist for ADD.

Quote:
Has PhxAss the same behavior, if you remember?
It's a long time ago. But from looking at the source it seems so.
It was probably also required because of reassembling. I worked closely together with Tim Rühsen in the mid-90s, who based his IRA reassembler on PhxAss.

Last edited by prowler; 06 February 2013 at 21:29. Reason: Fixed quotes.
Old 07 February 2013, 10:37   #13
TheDarkCoder

Quote:
BTW, although vasm differentiates between ADD and ADDI it will still translate ADD silently into ADDI, but only then when the addressing mode doesn't exist for ADD.
ok, that's fine.
Thanks again for the info!